I basically have a stock Turbo T, will it pass Ca. smog?

Fastdave

The only thing I know is that I have blue injectors. 50lbs? Other than that it is stock. Failed smog test having a shop put on a new cat,,( I sure hope they are putting on the correct one,,it said in their manual '87 3.8 turbo grand national package' and All 87 3.8 models,, they ordered the latter) Ugh!! Cant I just put mexican plates on it, since they dont have to smog? Do I need a smog chip... Need advise,,, thanks
Dave

Blue tops are 36# I think, as long as you have a decent cat and everything else is in healthy working order (02, egr, etc) you should pass. A smog chip might help too. what chip do you have in the car now?

Blue tops are 36# I think, as long as you have a decent cat and everything else is in healthy working order (02, egr, etc) you should pass. A smog chip might help too. what chip do you have in the car now?
I am really pretty new to this so I have no idea,, stock chip? It had passed a few years back so I figured if nothing changed, it should pass again,, it didnt.

Change your oil & try to freshen the fuel supply. Make sure you have thoroughly warmed up the Cat Can before you test. The Cat Can needs to be hot to function correctly. Keep your vehicle running while you wait for your test.

I tried these 3 things & I passed where I had originally failed.

~JM~

Change your oil & try to freshen the fuel supply. Make sure you have thoroughly warmed up the Cat Can before you test. The Cat Can needs to be hot to function correctly. Keep your vehicle running while you wait for your test.

I tried these 3 things & I passed where I had originally failed.

~JM~
Thanks JM,, cat being installed and then tested,, hopefully these boys will let it heat up...
Dave

I would take it to Lou Czarnota and have him look it over. He is very good.

I would take it to Lou Czarnota and have him look it over. He is very good.
Yes , I am going to do that. I just am unable to drive it legally on the street right now. hate to get it impounded. If it fails,,, I can get the temp from the dmv and then I will take it to him.
Thanks,,
Dave

Dave,

I don't know where in CA you're located. If you're down around San Diego I can take a look at it for you. If everything is in good working order the car should pass smog. What parameter did it fail for last time?

Neal

Dave,

I don't know where in CA you're located. If you're down around San Diego I can take a look at it for you. If everything is in good working order the car should pass smog. What parameter did it fail for last time?

Neal
Well, great news it passed!! I brought them the cat... the requirements are getting much tighter. HC 135 in 2000, HC 110 in 2001, HC in 2012 77,, they are forcing us to buy newer cars!! I am just glad it passed now to crank it up.

750hp v6,, thanks for the input,, I do live in SD,, near San Marcos/Escondido. I think I met you at race legal years ago,, had everyone's number but now I can not find it. My email is dstouffer@gmail.com ,, I dont know how to message people, yet,, can you?

Dave