Hyper pistons

grandnati0nal

Just wondering if hyperutectic pistons are any good for low-mid 11s? Like the rebuild kit from summit is only 7.66:1 CR would that be good for like i stated low 11s? I will also be getting the edelbrock cam kit and other goodies. The only plus i see with the summit kit is that the lower compression will let me run more boost on lower octane right?

The sealed power or speed pro are the ones some are using with success.I would not buy the summit kit though,they supposedly come with the wrong headgaskets for the turbo motor.You'd be better to get a kit from Postons or piece it all together from TA and other Buick vendors.The sealed power 204/214 cam worked good for me with their lifters,very quiet and made good power.

I was just going tio go with them because of the fact of bearings and rings came in the package. The kit i saw had all fel pro gaskets in it also.

My two cents:
If I was building a motor I wouldnt ever go hyper pistons for a turbo car. I rebuilt my engine at Wyotech, only to find out that the 43K 85 block that I drilled and tapped for 86-87 oil return line had no ring ridge, everything is standard. The rings still had their "sharp" edge to them. Im currently still running stock pistons and rings in a ball honed block and am running 22 psi at the track.. Car's gone low 12's and there's room for even more out of it.. with hyper pistons you can run a goood amount of boost, you just need to match that with enough fuel so there's no detonation causing grenading... RJC power plate helps, along with good intercooler and upgraded fuel pump and injectors. Though I wouldnt suggest going hyper if you're buying new pistons anyways, it maybe all one can afford.. Just generous with fuel and dont go to lean on your tune.

I run hypers in my engine and like them. A member Intercooler (Call MeMud) also runs hypers and has no complaints. Do a search on them. If not for a machine mistake, the pistons (in my current engine) have 46000 miles on them. Controlling detonation is the key. If you think about it, the piston is just containing the gasses and air (with the help of rings). Lots of guys go really fast with the stock cast piston and their engines last a long time. If my stock pistons were in good shape, I would still have them in my engine (one was cracked, removing the pin from the prior rebuild). I have had 21psi of boost on my engine and things seem just fine. I expect this rebuilt engine to give me 100,000 mile plus of reliable operation, So I'll let you know 10 years from now :D .

This is how i see it, Hyper pistons though not forged are still a step up from the stock cast pistons. But yes if there is no ridge i will only be putting in total seal rings and leaving the rest alone. This motor has been opened before and i want to see what is going wrong inside of it.