Hydroboost Problems

EL Prieto

I installed a complet hydroboost system from 1984 Grand National new hydroboost , master cylinder ,power steering pump and hoses . The problem is steering wheel feel heavy with the brakes on I have revs to get the steering wheel to move . Remember everything is new and I think I did the bleed correctly. Can you explain me the way you do the bleeding or what is my problem . My car is a 1987 Grand National.

Thanks.

Aside from bleeding your brakes at the caliper, I thought you didn't have to bleed the Hydroboost (as it's a self-purging system).
When I did the swap, I had some instructions to bleed the HB where I had the front wheels off the ground, car running and turned the steering wheel lock to lock like 3-4 times. Car off, check fluid, repeat until proper fluid level is reached.
When is the last time you topped off the PS?

I used a nice write up at http://www.cedarcrestspeedlab.com/techarticles.html (look for the HB install article). I have my instructions on a word doc if you want me to send it to you...

Aside from bleeding your brakes at the caliper, I thought you didn't have to bleed the Hydroboost (as it's a self-purging system).
When I did the swap, I had some instructions to bleed the HB where I had the front wheels off the ground, car running and turned the steering wheel lock to lock like 3-4 times. Car off, check fluid, repeat until proper fluid level is reached.
When is the last time you topped off the PS?

I used a nice write up at http://www.cedarcrestspeedlab.com/techarticles.html (look for the HB install article). I have my instructions on a word doc if you want me to send it to you...

thanks a lot please send it to me .

Self purging the power steering system may not get all of the air out. I vacuum bled mine and it worked way better

I was able to get my system bled using the cedar crest speed instructions. I also had my front end up and turned the steering lock to lock several times while adding fluid to.the reservoir to keep the system from sucking more air into it. Then we moved on to bleeding the brake system. This involved cleaning out the bleeders and some rigorous bleeding with a helper. Be sure to keep the master cylinder reservoir topped of to avoid having to start over if the system draws air.

still with the problem I was bleeding the system notice the fluid is overflowing the reservoir specially turning to the right using lock to lock method . Do you bleed the system with the cap on or not? I also notice the return hose the auto parts sold me is a fuel hose . D0 you think thats my problem?

Bleed the system with the cap off. Fuel hose will work but I prefer trans oil cooler hose since it's higher heat rated. How is your return plumbed in to the reservoir?

When I first did it that caused an issue. I used a y tee and moved the return from the booster as close as possible to the res. I had to vacuum bleed it to get all the air out

I also used trans cooler hose. I "burped" the power steering with the front in the air, cap off and turned the wheels back and forth while adding fluid between each cycle. Then once it wasn't "loosing" fluid, kept on cycling the wheels back and forth until I didn't see any bubbles in the reservoir.