Hydroboost or vacumm

just as titled powermaster failure today, I see you can buy all the parts for either hydroboost or vacumm from any auto parts store to convert. Is one better than the other?

I have vacuum. Instal was pretty easy. I may switch later for more holding power.

Need booster, master cylinder, brake pedal, need to get vacuum source for the booster. Pretty much it. Most get an aftermarket vacuum block for the top of the doghouse/plenum. Hardest part of the job is switching out the pedal. On my GN I also put SSBC calipers on stock size discs and can hold more than 12 lbs of boost without any creeping if I want to. Of course my 11" drums out back on my Ford 9" probably help too but did notice a difference with the new calipers. Took my Powermaster off when the car was at around 10K miles, bought all new GM stuff for it when I did the conversion about 15 years ago.

If the car's mostly stock vacuum will work and is the least expensive. If the car's highly modified and has low vacuum at idle the hydro is the way to go.

After hearing my buddy, with his properly set up vacuum system on his T, explaining his many under boost oh $#!*...brake on a dime right now...please stop....throw an anchor out...why isn't there any brake pressure...Oh! Under boost means no vacuum = no brakes...I have to change draws but my T survived without a scratch stories.

I made my mind up and spent the money and time installing the hydro boost system BUT, if the engine cuts out while driving, hang on for dear life. Pick your poison.

"BUT, if the engine cuts out while driving, hang on for dear life. Pick your poison.".
The later HB's have an accumulator on them, just for that reason.

I recently did the vacuum conversion on my GN. Had No problems, it was quick, inexpensive, and an easy change over. The brakes work as well as the old PM without the life threatening scares when the PM suddenly wasn't there. The savings in underwear makes it well worth the cost. Wish I did it years ago, but was trying keep the car original. After 3 PM failures and resulting heart stopping near misses and also the heart stopping cost of replacement PM'S, I chucked in the towel. I Found a clean regal in the boneyard-Total conversion cost 50 bucks. Hydro boost set ups are cool but hard to find in the boneyard and new ones pricey and Im not a racer so It worked perfectly for me. The local GN performance shop swears by the vacuum conversions.

With the vac conversion a good check valve is a must. I can run under boost for 20 seconds and go right to a vac assisted stop.

After months of research. I just did my hydroboost conversion and I couldn't be happier. Not willing to chance of not being able to stop, especially at the track. For my family's and car's sake. I know a lot of people went the vacuum route and were OK, but I don't want to be that statistic. Bit more pricy and involved, but looks and works better in the long run. Many vendors sell complete bolt in systems with braided lines and BRAND new gm units that have the reservoir. Your engine stops, you still have quite a few pumps/time/pressure to stop. Got my set up from tallon hydraulics. Their service and tech help were awesome. Took one evening to install.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Vacuum get's my vote too!..... Had my old GN die on me (Crank sensor) and TurboDave came to pull me and the car home about 2 miles with his Excursion and with the car NOT RUNNING I was still able to stop my car and slow down his excursion before stop signs! Believe it or not, Dave was just as skeptical but afterwards it was a different story.... Vacuum brakes WILL stop your car without it running!

Allot of new vehicles on the road are running hydro boost. There is no better power assist than hydraulic IMO.

I switched to hb a few years back. Have never had a problem.

Rick

Vac gets my vote....less bs under the hood than a hydroboost...too dam busy in the engine bay any ways. There's plenty of turbo charged very very fast road race cars running vac brakes with no issues.

Hydro boost gets my vote

Not that complicated at all. I've got vacuum on blue t for ease and hydroboost on my we4 which needs more stopping power.
With the astro van unit , adjustable rod, hoses and master I only had $200 into it.