Hydroboost help please

MY T FAST

Gents,
i just recently swapped my sourmaster over to hydroboost. got the remanned h/b, master cylinder, and ps lines from autozone for an 84 gn. (yes the factory 84-5 lines worked just fine with a little persuasion) heres the problem: my p/s pump is LOUD!!!! even at idle and gets ungodly loud under load, especially braking. another thing, my brakes are not quite right. i can push the pedal about halfway to the floor and the brake grab increases linearly like it should, but after about halfway, they seem to be maxed out, they grab pretty good, but its not even close to locking up the wheels, and the pedal resistance gets much lighter and doesn't change from there to the floor. also, i essentially lose power steering while applying the brakes.
i hope that description isn't too confusing lol.
i have bled the brakes and they are good, today makes the third day in a row of driving around the block and seeing mass amounts of foam in the p/s resevoir. so for the third time, i will let it sit and settle and top off the resevoir. is my p/s pump failing, or is there just air in the system or what?
any expertise in the field would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance, gentlemen.
Talon

It sounds like you still have alot of air in the system. The more you drive it the better it will get and the quieter. Mine was somewhat the same way and now it is quieter and the pedal is very firm and takes very little effort to brake.

Yep, the foam is a good indicator of air in the system. Also, make sure to use "POWER STEERING FLUID" and not tranny fluid or something else. Sounds dumb but another member here locally showed up at my house and couldnt figure out why his PS pump was growling at him. Well, instead of taking the time to go to the parts store, he decided tranny fluid was the same thing and it should all work...........NOT:eek: !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

thanks fellas,
i've been drivin around the block and adding p/s fluid every time i get back due to wicked bubbles/foam so i hope it gets better. thanks again,
Talon

thanks fellas,
i've been drivin around the block and adding p/s fluid every time i get back due to wicked bubbles/foam so i hope it gets better. thanks again,
Talon

Did you turn the wheels lock to lock about 20 times? Thats the procedure that I used to get rid of the air after my install. Also, I (and Incubus) had a valve stick in the pwr steering pump that pretty much burned up the pump and caused it to groan like yours is doing. I had to replace the pwr steering pump. I was also told (by the company I bought the kit from) when I bought my kit that I should run synthetic trans fluid in the power steering system because it would not foam up. Thats all I got. Hopefully its something easy like that. Good luck.

well after mucho bleeding of the p/s system, (turning the wheel and hard braking) the groaning has gone away and the bubbles have ceased. so musta just been air. the new brakes are great. thanks guys for the help.
Talon

Yep, the foam is a good indicator of air in the system. Also, make sure to use "POWER STEERING FLUID" and not tranny fluid or something else. Sounds dumb but another member here locally showed up at my house and couldnt figure out why his PS pump was growling at him. Well, instead of taking the time to go to the parts store, he decided tranny fluid was the same thing and it should all work...........NOT:eek: !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Funny you should say that about the tranny fluid. I have just had the opposite experience. I switched to a Hydroboost and love it now. The noise was aggravating and more than I expected. I contacted my vendor. He suggested Dextron 3. It worked great. We flushed the system and the results were awesome. Almost no noise, and the pedal even feels harder. Maybe it depends on which tranny fluid.

P.S. My bubbles disappeared after the switch to Dextron 3.