hydroboost and 87 powersteering pump

rob350

Going to be using my hydroboost system with the 87 setup. What size are the fittings on the power steering pump and hydroboost? I'm looking at making my own braided line by buying parts from summit, but i'm not sure what do get. Can anybody help me out that has done this before?

Thanks,

Rob

You can do that but don't need to
I can send you some pictures of my setup and diagram
File is too big for here
You Tee into the low pressure line with high pressure rubber fuel line to add the 87 pump

File is too big for here
You Tee into the low pressure line with high pressure rubber fuel line to add the 87 pump

Sure, I would love to see the pictures. The line from the 85 powersteering pump won't screw into the 87 pump, it is too small.

Rob

85 pump turns opposite direction from 87. You must use the proper year pump for your motor.

If your going to convert to 86/87 style you have to use 86/87 power steering pumps

I forgot to mention that I have an 87 pump. :eek: My 87 pump seems to be missing the presure valve with spring and the little fitting that screws into the 87 pump. I took the valve out of the 85 pump and everything fits into the 87 pump, but will this work? Or am I just confusing everyone? lol

Rob

So as I gather by reading, if I wanted to hydroboost my 87 TR I'd need to retain the stock p.s. pump but will 84-85 hot air TR lines fit/work with it?

Is an 84-85 hot air hb set up a plug n play to an 87 TR with stock ps pump? Or do I need to rearrange things?

File is too big for here

Please email me the pix/info. My email addy is in my sig.
Thanks

File is too big for here

Yep, thanks to Conn84gn, we have few hotair conversions running around without any issues using his method.

Thanks again
Prasad

The 84/85 power steering pump turns the opposite direction from the 86/87.

I used the 87 pump which was on my motor (87), with no problems. I purchased a line kit from powerbrkebob which had all the necessary fittings, which worked with no problems. I never had to investigate fitting sizes.

I just did an 84 HydroBoost on my car. Very simple. Just get set of stock HydrooBoost high pressure lines. Take the metal high pressure line off of your 87 pump. The 84 lines bolt right into your pump and power steering rack. Then just "T" the low pressure line that goes from your 87 reseviour to the pump. Off the "T" run a line to the low pressure port on the HydroBoost unit. Simple and easy!

Was confusing too me too

Still confused...anyone have a flow diagram? :redface:

Basicly, the feed line comes off the ps pump and goes to the hydroboost. The hydroboost unit will have 2 other ports open. One is a return line that T's into the ps return. The other line comes off and feeds the ps gearbox.

Rick

You will be well served to add an extra port in the resevior for the return off the HB.

I have heard this. I just installed a Hydratech hydroboost but have yet to get any testing in. What is the condition that would require this mod?
Thanks Lee.

Rick

In my case

I have heard this. I just installed a Hydratech hydroboost but have yet to get any testing in. What is the condition that would require this mod?
Thanks Lee.

Rick

The return off the power steering was overcoming the return off the HB--causing a backup in the HB--causing the HB to not completely RETURN to home---causing the brakes to DRAG.

this months CAR CRAFT has an article about installing a HB on a small block Buick (GS?/SKYLARK?).Lots of good pictures.Lee.You are talking about tapping into the plastic res,correct?If so,this can be achieved by a AN style bulkhead fitting,right?Or is the actifed I just took kicking in?!

Chris

Yes, put another port in the resevior--In my case I drilled, tapped and installed a 1/4 X 3/8 hose barb(already had one). You are right that a bulkhead fitting would be better. If I remember the resivior is not as thick as I would have liked. No leaks so far.

May I ask if you are referencing these systems in relation to GN's? You list 84/85style and 86/87style. I'm wondering if the early style is the same as previous years? I saved for re-use the entire system from my 83-T. PSP,MC,HB,lines and prop valve. Is this a widely used system or do I have an oddball?