hydro boost to vacum brakes????

Why would you rid your car of the Hydroboost system?

It is a strong system, and offers alot of holding power out of a Stock Brake setup. I can hold an easy 8+ PSI on the brake.

IMO...Don't swap the system...Enjoy the system that the 85/86/87 TurboRegals wished they had!

I see you have an 85GN....The 85's came with the PowerMaster....correct?!

brakes

the brakes on my car run off of the power steering pump.the seals are blown out money is tight for about a month.wanted to convert till i could afford the new unit:)

Where are the seals blown out at???

Find a salvage yard with some GM cars or even trucks(early 80s) with diesel engines in them...They will have the HydroBoost setup on them...

Or, I'm not sure because I've never checked, but they should offer a rebuild kit with the seals, etc., either at the dealer, or even aftermarket parts stores...Figure out which seals are blown, and replace them...Can't be any more than $5 or so per seal...

Herb is right, though, the HydroBoost setup is tough to beat for holding power...

edit
Just got off the phone with AutoZone, they had the HydroBoost booster w/o master cyl for about $121 + about $45 for a core charge...You would end up with that much in a vacuum setup swapping it over...They didn't have it in stock here, but could get it in about a day...Would have to pre-pay...

Re: brakes

Originally posted by rob85gn
what id the difference between hydro boost and powermaters????

Hydroboost is powered by the power steering pump, it shares hydraulic pressure with the steering box. Hydroboost was used on diesels and 1 ton trucks. It is the most reliable power brake system, but rebuilding the booster should NOT be attempted by anyone not specifically trained to do so. Regarding turbo Buicks, Hydroboost was used on the 84 models and about the first half of the 85 models.

Powermaster is the later model system, but is very trouble prone and expensive. Found on the late 85 models, along with the 86 and 87 models. Most often replaced with vacuum bosted brakes.

As far as I'm concerned, Hydroboost is the ONLY power assist brake system for a supercharged car.

I think GM STILL puts them on trucks, a few months ago I saw one on a '99 GMC my cousin was working on, looked exactly like the one in my '84!

PowerMaster has an electric motor underneath the master cylinder, the HydroBoost don't...

Hydroboost has hydraulic lines running between the power steering pump, the power steering gearbox, and the Hydroboost unit(which is mounted between the firewall and the master cylinder)...

Hydroboost -vs Powermaster

I believe that the Powermaster is the biggest shortcoming on the Buick. I had it replaced under warranty twice and once out of pocket.
After the fourth failure I switched to vacuum boost, which has never failed me. But my brothers '84, which he's had since new, I think has better feel.
Either one is an improvement over the Powermaster:cool:

Originally posted by FJM568
edit
Just got off the phone with AutoZone, they had the HydroBoost booster w/o master cyl for about $121 + about $45 for a core charge...You would end up with that much in a vacuum setup swapping it over...

No not really..http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16442

Been using vac brakes for 3 years and they work just as good as the hydryboost did,weigh a hell of alot less and free up space,and are more simple and dependable.Wet,slipping or broken power steering belts don't stop them from working,and will never ever ruin your pretty carpet. And yes I can hold over 5psi with regular street radials.I have not experienced any disadvantages yet,if you know of any please tell me about them.Seems with the hydro you have alot more possible scenarios for failure.Have you ever seen a post"my vaccum brake setup failed and I'm going back to XX"? No flame intended,I just don't understand why some insist on directing people from going with what seems a no brainer setup? :confused: