hydro boost brake swap questions

TexasT said:
There is also a place that sells a kit for a diy rebuild but I have that link on my home computer and I'm out of town until Fri . I'll see If I can remember to post it when I get back.

Those brackets n rods there, are they custom or parts off of something. I can't tell as I am on my phone. Tia

Those brackets are off the 84 hydroboost I suspect... I tried to get more from the shop but they would only let me have those three. . The owner of the place said they were very hard to find and only had 8 total.. the rod is not custom as they had lots of those rods laying around.. the only number on the rod is a "53" on one side.. I've tried looking them up on Google with no luck.. what I did notice is that the number corresponds to the length of the rod.

Lolo- where did you get the "T" that connects the hoses together? My local hardware stores didn't carry it. I had one custom made last time. Can't remember if I searched Lowes and Menards. Thanks.

Lolo- where did you get the "T" that connects the hoses together? My local hardware stores didn't carry it. I had one custom made last time. Can't remember if I searched Lowes and Menards. Thanks.

The "T" is a standard 3/8 Brass Tee from Autozone... I believe it was like $5... It should be readily available at any auto parts place.. Here is the part number from dorman..

DORMAN Part # 493031

Just looked on autozone and the part number is 788-031.. It's listed on their website for $3.99

Whoops. I did see the tracking # but forgot you sent it. Looks like it is due here next Tues.

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD . SORRY TO BUTT IN BUT I HAVE HB ON MY 1984 GN . IT HAS BEEN LEAKING DOWN THE FIREWALL AND THE BOOT INSIDE IS FULL OF FLUID . CAN THESE UNITS BE REBUILT ?
Here are he links I spoke of. I havent ordered so caveat emptor, you might do a search on the seller to see about them. But they do list a kit for the hydroboost.
http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/MBM-Kit-501.html
Also a link to a discussion on hydroboost .
http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?p=60609

I didn't touch my proportioning valve when I installed my HB. Does this mean I have no rear braking?

I didn't do anything to the proportioning valve on mine when I put the hydroboost on. I would think this would let the brakes function but I'm surely no expert.

On the subject of the bracket and rod. I just removed the powermaster and its pieces and bolted the 84 hydroboost on. Why are other brackets needed? I guess the astrovan unit bolts up differently? Im not understanding the need for them. Can you clarify? TIA

Yes apparently the Astro unit would be at an angle unless you use an adaptor. Is there any trick to removing the rod?

The hydroboost came with the rod on it. I just took the powermaster rod off the pedal stud, and put the hydroboost back on. Though I will say I had to take the pedal bracket off the firewall to get the rods on and off. I put the pedal back on the fire wall before I put the hydroboost on and had to take the pedal bracket back off to get the hydroboost rod onto the pedal. It was sooo very close but just would not get onto the pedal with it mounted up.

There was a bracket I took off that was between the pm unit and firewall. Are there pix of this bracket? I will dig mine out. Might be the same piece.

Apparently LoLo is saying if you use the Astro HB you must remove the rod and install the one he is selling.

Yes apparently the Astro unit would be at an angle unless you use an adaptor. Is there any trick to removing the rod?

basically all you do is look at the joint where the ball of the rod attaches to the plunger on the booster. They insert the rod and then put 2 or three crimps to retain the ball end. The idea is to carefully slice juuust through one of the crimps with an air cutoff wheel or dremel, then use the air chisel to pop the rod out of the joint. The remaining crimp(s) are more than enough to hold it in when you reinstall the other rod, it just takes a smack with a hammer and it will snap right in. Then you use the air chisel to zap off the funny-looking nut holding the bracket on and swap it onto the astrovan booster, throw a little red loctite on the nut and tighten it up with the air chisel.

I read on another forum that you can remove the rod from the astro hydroboost by using a slide hammer.. didn't do it myself but it should work.

I read on another forum that you can remove the rod from the astro hydroboost by using a slide hammer.. didn't do it myself but it should work.

same idea, theres a bunch of ways to do it- i like to remove a crimp so it takes a little less beating to get it out and back in.

Just looked on autozone and the part number is 788-031.. It's listed on their website for $3.99
Picked up the T yesterday. The AZ manager said they just started carrying it about a year ago. I think that is around the time I was searching for one for the HB in my other GN. Thanks for the tip LoLo.

MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE INFO AND LINKS ! THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON HERE IS AMAZING !

The hydroboost came with the rod on it. I just took the powermaster rod off the pedal stud, and put the hydroboost back on. Though I will say I had to take the pedal bracket off the firewall to get the rods on and off. I put the pedal back on the fire wall before I put the hydroboost on and had to take the pedal bracket back off to get the hydroboost rod onto the pedal. It was sooo very close but just would not get onto the pedal with it mounted up.

There was a bracket I took off that was between the pm unit and firewall. Are there pix of this bracket? I will dig mine out. Might be the same piece.
Rich- installing the HB to the firewall and slipping the rod on the brake pedal is a two man job. You need someone wiggling the HB while you are under the dash fiddling with the rod.

No Problem GNRick..

Paypal was received and your package was shipped out to you yesterday via UPS.. Check my last PM for tracking info..
Got the bracket and rod today. Thanks. Are you positive I need the rod? It is quite a bit shorter than the rod in the Astro hydroboost.

GNRick said:
Rich- installing the HB to the firewall and slipping the rod on the brake pedal is a two man job. You need someone wiggling the HB while you are under the dash fiddling with the rod.

I am but one man , so I had to unbolt the pedal. Worked out, just a little. more work.

Great info. Thanks to all for sharing!