Humbled smack talker SRT4 tonight

Start from a roll??? wtf do u think this is, NASCAR? as BandAid said, drag racing is from a stop, what's this crybaby sh!t about "well, my litle sissy car can't go from a stop, no traction, wah, wah wah!" Come on, are there any other basics of drag racing you'd like to change in your favor? :rolleyes: With all that money you spent on mods, you could have bought a REAL car and made it fast. let's see...a new srt4 must be about $ 25, 30k? and by the looks of it, you've got about another 10-15k in mods, for a total of about 35,000- $45,000 for a car that will be worth less than half of that in 5 years. in 5 years, a gn will probably go up in value by about 15-20%. THere's a guy around here selling an 87 gn for $7800. now, if i were to put 10- 15k in mods on it, it'd probably be in the low 10's, high 9's. Cost of car- 7800. cost of mods- 10,000. look on neon guy's face after you beat him with a 20 year old car that cost less than half of his and looked better doing it- priceless!

turbo_canuck said:
Start from a roll??? wtf do u think this is, NASCAR? as BandAid said, drag racing is from a stop, what's this crybaby sh!t about "well, my litle sissy car can't go from a stop, no traction, wah, wah wah!" Come on, are there any other basics of drag racing you'd like to change in your favor? :rolleyes: With all that money you spent on mods, you could have bought a REAL car and made it fast. let's see...a new srt4 must be about $ 25, 30k? and by the looks of it, you've got about another 10-15k in mods, for a total of about 35,000- $45,000 for a car that will be worth less than half of that in 5 years. in 5 years, a gn will probably go up in value by about 15-20%. THere's a guy around here selling an 87 gn for $7800. now, if i were to put 10- 15k in mods on it, it'd probably be in the low 10's, high 9's. Cost of car- 7800. cost of mods- 10,000. look on neon guy's face after you beat him with a 20 year old car that cost less than half of his and looked better doing it- priceless!
ok your a complete asshat non the less..
I paid 16,500 for my car brand new off the show room floor. and for you to talk such a big game and only be able to run a 12.5 I would walk away from this post quick, fast and in a hurry. as for real cars I have a nice collection of "REAL" cars.

Dude,
Why are you trying to get love off of a site for Buicks? We all know about Neons and Supras and all the other **** that came out AFTER the Turbo Buick!

Most everyone on this site was street racing while you were still in diapers. The point is your not breaking any new ground with your car. Anyting you have done, we have already done. Anything you will do, we done that too.

As for 40 pouds of boost; who cares. Boost is air that cant be ingested. A more efficient engine can make less boost but have more power, so 40 PSI of boost doesnt scare everyone like you think it does.

Have a nice day :D

im glad that everyone on this board has "been there, done that" with everything out there. I have been racing for 17yrs starting out when I was a kid with Jr. Dragsters working my way up to running my blown 396 powered 73 vega wagon as well as my chevelle and other classics ranging from my 1st car I ever bought (1949 Chrysler Windsor) up to my 64 riviera wildcat, 69 el camino, as well as many other classics.

I guess you GN guys have done everything (dual induction on a 4 cyl (supercharger with large turbo which the S/C is run on a clutch fan style on/off setup). thats our newest project for our srt to help low end power and spool.

I have done my share of inique mods on my SRT as well as my other cars that I have owned. (87,88,89 chrysler conquest/mitsubishi starion, 3 90-91 GSX/TSI DSM's, a few boosted hondas, 2 RX-7 Turbo's, 2 turbo supras, turbo 4 mustang). you need to keep in mind the car scene is ever changing that is why I wanted to go with a car that can be daily driven yet still put down over 500whp on 4cyl and still get 26mpg. thus the reason for the neon I have now. I still have my love for the classics but its like an evolution... the sport compacts you guys love to bash on a daily basis are doing the same thing you did as a kid. Taking a faily inexpensive commuter car and turning it into somthing that can hang with alot of the classic muscle cars you see racing at the track every weekend.

for me it has opened my eyes to what can be done with these cars. I used to be very anti-import when I was a die hard muscle car guy. however after riding in a buddies 10 second starion I was hooked. ended up buying 3 for myself and it all was down hill from there.

turbo_canuck said:
Start from a roll??? wtf do u think this is, NASCAR?

Thank you!!

Everybody is all about big dyno numbers but want spend a damn dime on hooking it up. People can kiss my ass before I give them a roll start...unless the NHRA starts doing roll starts.

AKslowNeon said:
I guess you GN guys have done everything (dual induction on a 4 cyl (supercharger with large turbo which the S/C is run on a clutch fan style on/off setup). thats our newest project for our srt to help low end power and spool.

Dude who cares, if you can't hook what you already have, whats the point of adding more power? Sure you'll have a 1000fwhp but it would suck to have some car with half the hp beating your ass because you can't get off the line!

As for 4bangers....I've had a few and seen dual forced induction....heck I saw one with 4 turbos on it :eek: The crazy thing is, it cost you atleast 16k to buy your car that ran a 15-14 stock while the 4 bangers I ran cost around 3500 to run 12's...thats including buying the car!!!

Quit making excuses and run....You seem to do more turbo installs than miles on your car...Let's see this race!!!

Jason

You have only 2 years in the army, and youve owned over 17 cars so far? (did you join at 30 years old?) and youre still an e4 eh... makin about 290 a week? wow.. you must be selling drugs on the side man. e4's/5's dont make THAT much bro. Where did you get alll these cars from??
And just because one has owned a lot of something, doesnt mean they will actually learn from it... Look at a lot of the guys around you in the army.. some of them have had 35 women already, and still dont know the first thing about em... Learning curves vary son... 17+ cars doesnt mean anything man. Its what ya got NOW that counts..
(ever hear of the phrase 'beware of the man with only one rifle...)
And for as much as you work on this neon, you should be runnin 8's man. You BEST not lose this race... or you may be on anti depressants for the rest of your life with as much money and time and turbos youve done already.

wow!!!!! :eek: 16,500 brand new off the showroom floor!!!! :eek: i need to move to to where you bought that car from. i went to the dodge dealership here and test drove one cause me girlfriend wanted one. it was quick but she liked her 01 tdi bug better (gas mileage). any chance that you could scan and post your info from the dealership to prove thats how much it was, as the one we looked at was a bit under $21,000. oh yea and as for your comment to the guy that is ONLY running 12.5, thats quick enough for a 2 ton/ 19yr old buick.

my .02

buickbert

buickbert said:
wow!!!!! :eek: 16,500 brand new off the showroom floor!!!! :eek: i need to move to to where you bought that car from. i went to the dodge dealership here and test drove one cause me girlfriend wanted one. it was quick but she liked her 01 tdi bug better (gas mileage). any chance that you could scan and post your info from the dealership to prove thats how much it was, as the one we looked at was a bit under $21,000. oh yea and as for your comment to the guy that is ONLY running 12.5, thats quick enough for a 2 ton/ 19yr old buick.

my .02

buickbert
I bought my car at tom matson dodge in sept. of 04 ill find my paperwork and scan it in.

I have been in the army more than 2yrs and before I joined the army (family tradition) I ran my own shop.

I still have a few muscle cars however Im not going to ship them to AK due to the little time to actually have them on the street (3-4months a year). the reason we have not raced yet again is rain. its been raining every day for the past 20+ days.. if it holds up today and stays dry I will race him tonight with the slipping clutch still in the car i honestly could care less.

as for how much do I make. heh the army pays me 3600 a mo + I pull about 2K a month from doing installs at my shop (in the middle of another big turbo install on a customers SRT).

anyway before I leave to finish this install and get his tuning done here is somthing to think about.

SRT-4 new: 04/05 with LSD 16,500-21,000 Stock 238whp 246tq 13.8 @ 105mph (FWD)
Grand National / GNX: The cost of the GNX option was a ****ping $10,995, which resulted in a final MSRP of $29,900.
Production: Grand Nationals: 20,193 GNX: 547
Engines: Grand National: 3.8L V6 Turbo 245 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 355 ft-lb @ 2000 rpm. GNX: 3.8L V6 Turbo 276 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 360 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm.
Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph. GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.
BTW factory stock times were 13.8 for the SRT-4 not 14-15's you may want to learn your numbers.

so lets see: 15+yrs ago your car cost between 28-30K to run 14s (or if you were one of the lucky GNX owners 13.4s

SRT-4 your looking at about 16,500-21,000 on average for a new SRT

now think of what the dollar was worth back then... and what it is worth now (consider inflation).

you have to admit that bang for buck the SRT wins hands down.

now im not here to start ****, cause trouble, or anything like that for the matter.. Im here sharing my love for building performance cars. just trying to show people what these cars are capable.

I will take some pictures of the SRT im building today (stock turbo vs 50trim turbo) all that crap. for a car running a SMALL Tdo4 turbo and capable of around 330whp with out doing much at all its not a bad option. Also the added comfort of knowing the stock bottom end can handle 500whp with out opening it up at all.

25-30k to run 14's! youve never made me laugh so hard. a stock! gn with basic fuel and boost mods (i.e injectors, frp, chip and adjustable wastegate) WILL go into the low 13's witha correct tune and a good track so i dont know where you got that 30k from. :eek:

15 yrs ago these cars were probably at there lowest point value wise so id put the cost to run low 13's with very minor/ basic mods at around 10k. im sure ill get more then a few guys to back that up. even today you could run those numbers if you found a car that wasnt in showroom condition. 2 yrs ago i paid 9500 for my 87, 82000 miles, k&n filter, 36lb injector with matching chip, cat back exh, built trans and it ran 13.6's all day on street tires with the STOCK TURBO, IC til i blew it up (having fun with a ducati 996, before you say anything, yes i lost but i had fun til i saw the smoke) :biggrin: :biggrin:

im not calling you a liar but you price your car at 16,500-21,000. youre telling me that you got the absolute bottom of the barrel car? thats hard for me to believe. yes the gnx option was 11k and some dealerships inflated the price a bit :biggrin: , but my 87 was bought new in 87 at a detriot dealership for a 13,xxx if i remember correctly (im not the original owner, so i dont know for sure). if you think about it 20,193 is NOT a lot of these cars, considering its almost 20 yrs later. how many of them have been wrecked? thats why the cars are worth what they are. yes the gnx was very pricey but how much are they worth now? 80k-100k.

as for the performance issue, granted your car might be faster with a perfect launch and perfect shifts, it wieghs what 1000lbs less? oh yea just a quick ?----with all the mods your car has, would that void the warranty?

buickbert

Ok you show your ignorance once again...A GN new was 15-18k. My dad's bone stock ran 13.8 at 99. So where do you get 14-15 seconds for 28k????? Go race him and quit making excuses. Isnt that what ricers are good at?? My clutch is slipping, its been raining, I've been busy...see my point?

Jason

Hey kid, the GN thats about to stomp your ass used to be mine. I did most of the work on it, Dennis fine tuned it and made it run better than I had it. You're about to get hurt, trust me.

Man I wish I could be there to watch my old car clean house.

You sure run alot of boost, must be fast. I'd race you, but I only run 14 psi. I'd lose for sure. :rolleyes:

And if you want any respect or acknowledgement of a close race win or lose, go from a dig. Going from a roll is for crybaby ricers, if I can go from a dig with my car you have no excuse. Learn to drive and build cars to hook instead of make big boost and dyno numbers.

Dennis, that car is undefeated here, keep it going! And send me video!

turbosam6 said:
Hey kid, the GN thats about to stomp your ass used to be mine. I did most of the work on it, Dennis fine tuned it and made it run better than I had it. You're about to get hurt, trust me.

Man I wish I could be there to watch my old car clean house.

You sure run alot of boost, must be fast. I'd race you, but I only run 14 psi. I'd lose for sure. :rolleyes:

And if you want any respect or acknowledgement of a close race win or lose, go from a dig. Going from a roll is for crybaby ricers, if I can go from a dig with my car you have no excuse. Learn to drive and build cars to hook instead of make big boost and dyno numbers.

Dennis, that car is undefeated here, keep it going! And send me video!
X1451781 Couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!

Jason

AKslowNeon said:
the reason im "dumping" more money into the car is because A.

Where is B. C. D. E. F. AND G.????

Has the race happened yet,,,, im getting tired of reading dis chit.

BW

AKslowNeon said:
ok your a complete asshat non the less..
I paid 16,500 for my car brand new off the show room floor. and for you to talk such a big game and only be able to run a 12.5 I would walk away from this post quick, fast and in a hurry. as for real cars I have a nice collection of "REAL" cars.

For someone that's "not here to start sh!t or cause trouble or anything like that" you sure aren't making any friends (read:-ok, you're a complete asshat). Yes, i do talk a lot of game, in case you didn't notice, the OTHER car in my sig is a stage car, which has a string of low 9's, and now that the rings are seated in nicely, i can start feeding it the boost it was designed to run. (mid 8's soon) Sorry, i won't be running away fast from any peeon any time soon. Yes, my daily driver does "only" run 12's, my wife's scared enough of it as is. (btw, those 12's cost me $10,500 INCLUDING the price of the car, and $3000 stereo system, shall we talk "bang for the buck"?)
So if i close up the exhaust on the stage car, and put some dr's on (for street-legal purposes), I'm sure you'll whoop me, right? When you do your "tour" of dragstrips, try to stop here, i'll be glad to embarrass your pizza car, then buy you a beer, even though i'm an asshat. :D ;)

Sorry for my out-of whack pricings, i'm in canada, avg. price here is in fact around $25000 cdn. for an srt-4. I forget that sometimes... :rolleyes:

SRT4 is a tiolet. I drove one a couple years back and was disgusted.

I was going to trade my DSM in on it too but the hell with that. In 5 years it will only be worth like 2 grand tops. It is still a neon and a throw away car.

Keep in mind the srt4 was designed to get the interest of the younger crowd, which it did. I guess it is not bad for the money now a days, but it sure is hell not the fastest.

As far as a buick and stock times, with only a k/n filter my car went 13.7@101 all day long.

ok i pulled the GN times from a buick site. so I may be off. as for 13.8-13.7 thats great same times I ran stock. I ran 13.1 with intake, exhaust, boost controller @ 109mph with a 1.9 60ft.

as for the race

IT IS FINALLY SUNNY AND DRY I will be out and about so if the fearless GN wants to play run what you brung. Im running the stock slipping clutch (still but hey I'll race him again). still the same winter low profile tires, and pump gas (90 octane) with a shot of xylene.

so.. Ill run what I brung how about AKBuick bring out his toys and we can get it on video. this is the last decent night my car will be out until next year so hopfully he shows up :)

I will be meeting with the rest of the guys at the clinic so if you want to swing in and roll to the spot that would be fine I have 8 people bringing cameras... i guess the only thing ill do is pop my cut out open.

"this is the last decent time my car will be out until next year"?????? :eek:
holy crap! its al roaker! can i have your autograph mr. weatherman?
how do you know that it will be the last decent night this year? sounds fishy to me.

find that paperwork yet? 16,500?

buickbert