HR rear bar vs Sphoon rear sway/anti roll bar

I know the HR bar is awsome, but if the sphoon is the same quality and cheaper then why not.
Why not? Cause it's not the same quality. I can see it as a decent alternative if someone is on a real tight budget but for the few extra bucks I don't see the point.

Why not? Cause it's not the same quality. I can see it as a decent alternative if someone is on a real tight budget but for the few extra bucks I don't see the point.

X2
If you have seen one it will be clear.

Why buy a grand national when you can buy a monte carlo for cheaper...

get the ANTI ROLL Sawy Bar from HR parts N Stuff...

installed it this past week and the car is brand new... nothing compares...

save your money and but nothing except HR Anti Roll

HR parts N stuff - $509
#0450 - Anti-Roll / Super Swaybar '78-'87 GM G-Body 8.5" 10 Bolt Rearend (2-5/8" axle tubes)

At GS Nationals, HR Parts dominate the Turbo Regals racing...
drove my GN with anti roll bar on over railroad tracks, felt much smoother...

difference of $108 shipping included, shipping varies by location.

SPOHN - $421.4978-87 G-Body Regal Malibu Rear Drag Anti Roll Sway Bar
1-5/16" solid heat treated spring grade 4140 chrome moly sway bar
15/16" x .156" wall hex steel extreme duty end link adjusters
5/8" extreme-duty chrome-moly spherical rod ends with Teflon® self lubricating race
3/16" CNC laser cut and formed mounting saddles with grip-lock teeth (no welding onto the rear required).
Heavy-duty 7/16" u-bolts
1/4" thick laser cut and CNC formed steel upper end link mounts
Prothane polyurethane bushings and silicone grease

Booth look the same and the sphoon version is $110 cheaper. I know the HR bar is awsome, but if the sphoon is the same quality and cheaper then why not. Here is the link for it. Any experience with it?

78-87 G-Body Regal Malibu Rear Drag Anti Roll Sway Bar:eBay Motors (item 120440732209 end time Jul-26-09 09:58:53 PDT)

I've always wanted to know this too but I figured everyone will be biased towards the HR bar.

But really- has anyone ever compared both bars next to each other? To say one has better than quality than the other without actually seeing it in person doesn't say much. Or has anyone ever track tested both bars back to back and compare et's, ease of install, adjustability, etc....to see if one is really "better" than the other? I seriously doubt it.

I have no bias as I don't run either bar...I still use an ATR style bar.:p

I went through this very same dilemma, but i thought about it long and hard. Paul constantly contributes to BUICK racing events, putting up prize money, he is constantly helping OUR community and when it comes down to it his product IS proven and his kit is thorough, down to the drill bit and wax pencil..... all of this , AND i was happy to spend a little more to a vendor who is there for us..... just my opinion though.

I have the HR bar along with HR motor mounts, upper and lower control arms etc. The quality is second to none.

A local racer has the other sway bar on his Chevelle, It seems to work ok but the HR bar looks to be stronger, better mounting to the axle tubes and so on.

This is the same bar Brian is selling if I remember right. It's called the pro touring bar and has had some good reviews from those that have used it. HR is proven yes, but it does put some stress on the control arms after all. With this style bar you can pre load it on jack stands just like the HR but this is tied to the frame instead of the control arms so it stresses the frame instead of the control arms. It's not for drag racing it's for street driving mostly.

HR is proven yes, but it does put some stress on the control arms after all.

ummmmmmmmmmm WRONG - The Spohn Bar mounts exactly like the HR Bar its almost like its a carbon copy of the HR bar.... except the HR bar was released previous to the Spohn or the BMR....

You might be thinking of the ATR bar that mounts in the stock location and might rip out the bolts of sttock control arms

ummmmmmmmmmm WRONG - The Spohn Bar mounts exactly like the HR Bar its almost like its a carbon copy of the HR bar.... except the HR bar was released previous to the Spohn or the BMR....

You might be thinking of the ATR bar that mounts in the stock location and might rip out the bolts of sttock control arms

Did you click on the link he provided. The one showing is the one that attaches to the frame, not the control arms. If Spohn put the wrong pic in the auction I'm wrong but from the discription and pic you are.

Did you click on the link he provided. The one showing is the one that attaches to the frame, not the control arms. If Spohn put the wrong pic in the auction I'm wrong but from the discription and pic you are.

Spohn actually has 3 different rear bars. One stock (arm) mount, and two different frame/axle mounts.
The Spohn Pro-Touring bar (the one I run) is 7/8" diameter and is designed for adjustability and handling. Their Drag Bar (the one listed in the link) is much heavier (1 5/16"). They both mount to the frame and axle the same way, but they are designed for different applications. ;)

ummmmmmmmm NO Sh!T - NOW READ MY POST..... i'm NOT Questioning where the Spohn Bar attaches - just your thoughts on where the H&R bar attaches:rolleyes: ...... being an owner AND the installer of MY HR Sway bar i am pretty sure i know where it attaches:wink:

Here, FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
H&R Anti-Sway Bar
HR.jpg

SPOHN Pro Touring
spohnPT.jpg

Spohn Drag Bar
SpohnDB.jpg

BMR Anti Sway Bar
BMRASB.jpg

now maybe your eyes work different from mine, but it looks like all of these are VERY similar, NONE of them attach like the stock bar AND ONLY ONE of these manufacturers give back to our community

I have owned both of them, and for me the quality and fit and finish of the HR bar is much nicer.

One of the things I liked about the HR bar much better was the axle brackets. They fit better, and have provisions for the brake lines (the Spohn did not).

Plus the HR bar is nicer, hollow and lighter. The Spohn finish on the bar was not as nice and very heavy.

Both are great pieces, I feel the HR is worth the extra money.

HTH!

Here are some facts to help you make an INFORMED decision:

I didn't like that old pic of our swaybar with the rusted rear cover :cool:
Boy the things you have to get by with the day before the nats!

I would like to think that all of the help, advice, support, and sponsorship dollars, and contingency sponsorship dollars that we give out would count for SOMETHING! If not, then what's the point of doing it? :confused: It's easy to forget that without the sponsors on these message boards and sponsors of the events, they will dwindle fast & not be there for ANY of us to enjoy! If we didn't support the Buicks like we do, and did some shortcuts on the swaybar like others did (see below), then we could actually BEAT their price for the same parts! Trust me, it's not easy to post THOUSANDS of dollars in sponsorship money every year for several Buick events, with an average of 4-5k going to the Nat's each year alone! For our size here & compared to ANY manufacturer out there, we go WAY overboard on this! But we are, and have always been, behind the RACERS 150% and do WAY more than our share to support them.

As for a direct comparison on the parts between ours and what's pictured above, here you go:

First, ours DEFINITELY mounts up to the frame/crossmember and NOT to the lower control arms like the factory (and ATR style) bars do. This was one of the main points that free up the suspension to help it move when & where it needs to without restriction. And to compare our setup to an ATR style (bigger "factory replacement" bar) that bolts to the control arms, it is like comparing a GNX to a claw hammer!!! The difference in quality, materials, performance, features, etc are so different, they are nowhere near the same category. Talk to ANYONE who has upgraded from one ant they will tell you! It's like riding in a Corvette compared to a dump truck!

Next, even though ours looks like a drag race only setup, it works GREAT on the street, track, and strip! Because we use a bigger poly bushing (more expensive ones) on the axle clamps, it has a progressive compression rate that helps offset the high rate on the swaybar itself. This also helps keep the car hooked up by moving in a smooth action as forces are applied. Any abrupt resistance caused by little to no cushion (like thinner poly & weld-in styles) can cause the chassis to unload or be harder to handle/predict on corners. Also, for drag racers we recommend the poly brackets as WIDE as possible for max spring rate. For street & track racers, we recommend putting them as NARROW as possible. That in effect lowers the rate of the bar making it "seem" like a smaller dia, because the car now has more leverage to the pivot point. Ask ANYONE who uses our bar on the street, even at the wide mounting position, and you will hear 99.9% that absolutely LOVE IT !!!!! Personally, I would NEVER have a street car without one of these, it makes a night & day difference on how good it handles. Our bar is also sand blasted & cleaned before powdercoating & pre-heated & baked on after powdercoat (costs more but it's the RIGHT way to do it), which others RARELY if ever do on any of their stuff. We wanted them to look good on installation day & 50 years later too! Same with all the brackets, EVERY one gets sand blasted and cleaned before the finish is applied.

Other differences in the construction & component part of these being compared are:

Our bar is made from a MUCH more expensive aircraft grade 4130 Chromoly TUBE. There are a couple reasons for that. The tube is lighter (11# vs approx 19#) which every drag racer should be concerned about (with everything) unless it's not strong enough or safe. Ours is STRONGER, because we heat treat it AFTER bending it up, to a specific hardness that makes the 4130 work like a true torsion bar or spring. The heat treat actually gets to the outside surface AND the inside surface, making it a LOT stronger than solid. If that's hard to grasp (was even hard for me in the beginning), then just look at all the Pro-Stock & fast cars running the gun drilled (and heat treated) axles. Also BEWARE that some competitors claim theirs is "heat treated", but are actually the original condition from the mill that allows the material to be formed easily. They could be "normalized" or "annealed" which are actually heat treatments, but both make the Chromoly SOFTER and WEAKER. If it is actually heat treated to make it harder & stronger before bending, then the chances of the material cracking and breaking in the corners GREATLY increases. But to some it's about making it as CHEAP as possible. For us it's about making it as GOOD as possible.

On the lower brackets for the axle clamps, ours are the only ones that tie in the ends so it looks like a "bathtub". The picture with this post shows that, but the one with the orange frame above was one of the first prototypes that had the open ends. With the open design, any little force or stress lets the sides flex, which DECREASES CLAMPING PRESSURE! We tested and proved this WAY back during our design phase, that's why we go the extra mile in bending & welding the ends closed to tie it all together. That set was put in the scrap pile a LONG time ago ;)
The lower axle clamps on theirs are a one-size-fits-all design. With the one-fits-all design, the actual contact point is only 4 gripper points per bracket. Ours are custom fit to the exact tube dia needed, and has 12 gripper points that are in contact. Because the material is not as wide as the upper clamps, we made these gripper points shallow. That way they don't smash down from constant stress/force applied to them. With agressive points (like theirs) on such a small surface area, we have heard and seen that they smash down & come loose.

On the upper clamps, ours seem to be the only ones with provisions for the factory (and aftermarket) brake lines. Might sound simple, but once you have to pull the factory ones off the axle tubes and bend/kink/break them, you might think differently. Also, our setup looks a LOT cleaner with the brake lines running where they should be. Our top clamps "horseshoes" have sharp & hardened gripper points that are cut to match the EXACT tube dia. Ours have a total of 6 grippers that are 1/2 inch wide each that contact the axle tubes, making them grip a LOT better than a smooth "U" bolt could ever do. Our design for 9" applications can also bolt on even with aftermarket rearends with back braces! I see some red brackets above you are NOT going to do that with!

Our crossmember (frame) brackets are made from 1/4" steel, and fabricated 3 piece design. We weld thru the plate to the "ears" first, and then down the side are tie it in around the ends. The less all these parts are tied together, the more chance stuff can move and/or come loose. That can cause irratic performance and also break bolts MUCH easier & even tear up the car or cause an accident!

Our strut link/rod end design uses a 3 pc LH/RH design that doesn't need to be unbolted to adjust (like one of the competitors version above). Again, might not sound like a big deal, until you have to get into a VERY tight spot with hand tools at the track between rounds. Ask anyone with adjustable upper control arms that have to be unbolted to adjust, it makes a difference!

We also go thru extra steps to get our bolts plated in the silver color to match the locknuts and rod ends etc. Personally, I HATE the gold bolts & silver nuts & washers, and have heard from many that there are plenty of others that care about this too. We do this with ALL of our products, which is just one more thing that makes this kit look better once installed.

We have also updated the bends slightly on the bar since the picture above. It now fits closer to the pumpkin for a nicer installed look & more ground clearance, while still keeping the factory "look" there. We also include VERY detailed instructions & tuning help, and they have a 1 year warranty on ALL parts (including the rod ends). Not sure what my competitors offer there, but usually they go 30-90 days at most, and might not cover all the parts. Ours are built to last & look great for years, and we stand behind each & every one!

So, yeah at first glance they look similar, but there are a LOT of things that are better on ours. Not to mention we were the ones that started all this, not one to copy someone elses stuff :cool:
Plus I can honestly say that we only get GREAT feedback on all of our stuff, ESPECIALLY our Swaybar/Anti-Roll kit. Knowing that people in general are quick to pass on bad news & go out of their way to say good stuff, that makes me feel REAL good hearing the feedback that we get on our stuff! :)

Thanks for all the support & hope that helps!!!
PS- Hope to see ya at BPG / Columbus OH in a couple weeks! We will be there supporting as usual... :D

You may sold me into finally buying one. I always wanted one, but now i might actually do it.

I made the switch from the atr style bar to the H&R bar and the difference was night and day. Well worth the money IMO

ummmmmmmmm NO Sh!T - NOW READ MY POST..... i'm NOT Questioning where the Spohn Bar attaches - just your thoughts on where the H&R bar attaches:rolleyes: ...... being an owner AND the installer of MY HR Sway bar i am pretty sure i know where it attaches:wink:

Here, FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
H&R Anti-Sway Bar
hr_0450_swaykit_e.jpg

SPOHN Pro Touring
spohnPT.jpg

Spohn Drag Bar
SpohnDB.jpg

BMR Anti Sway Bar
BMRASB.jpg

now maybe your eyes work different from mine, but it looks like all of these are VERY similar, NONE of them attach like the stock bar AND ONLY ONE of these manufacturers give back to our community

here Paul, i fixed it for you:biggrin: :biggrin:
to anyone who doesnt own the bar... it is well worth it. before the bar i had all kind of wheel hop - after ZERO - it feels great around the corners. the fit is great. the customer service is awesome.... AND COME ON YOU ARE BUYING FROM A BUICK GUY:wink: - i would gladly pay a lil more for the quality, and trust me when it comes to car parts $100 aint sh!t.

As some of you know, my car is NO trailer queen, nor just a drag car, i drive as often as possible and long haul on the power tour.... so if this was just "A DRAG BAR" you coulda fooled me:biggrin:

Thanx again for posting Paul, some of that info, i didnt even know. know i even feel better with my decision