How to tell if injectors are worn?

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
How can you tell if an injector is worn. I have the stockers i think and my car has 66,000 miles on it. I can hear the injectors ticking from inside my car with the window cracked, is that normal?

Right now my car runs fine without no knock and the stock turbo.

Inj. wear??

The most frequent problem w/ injectors is dirt and varnish build up. This is usually seen as a hard start due to leaking into the manifold after shutdown.
You can easily check for this w/ a fuel PSI ga. [As in quick loss of PSI after shutting the engine off] Could be other problems, but this is most likely.
As for "wearing out", I have cleaned ALOT of 100,000 mi inj's and have found 99% to be good as new when done.
It's a sealed unit, so short of ruining the inj, you cannot measure wear.
We check for shorted or open coils when cleaning. These are about the only other tests to do, other than a before and after flow check/comparison.

As for the noise: Some injectors are noisier than others. Even in the same set.

HTH,;)

Chuck, can one ohm the injectors to see if they're working correctly, and if so, what's good and what's not?

Bad gas smell in the oil was one of the problems I had with a leaky stocker. Not sure if it's repairable or not I upgraded to new 43lb. Bosch, much happier now. :)

OHMS??

Warp, the stockers are usually in the 15 ohm range.
you can check across the pins and then 1 pin to the body to see if the coil is shorted. Should read OL on the digital VOM.

HTH,