how to tell difference between ECUs?

kaj

I have a box full of ECUs. I'm told some are stock, some have modded chips. How can I tell which are '85s, which are '86-87, and which have modded chips in them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a box full of ECUs. I'm told some are stock, some have modded chips. How can I tell which are '85s, which are '86-87, and which have modded chips in them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For the ECMs check the "Service No." on the paper label. A 1227148 is for the '86 & '87 cars. Not sure what the number is for the earlier ones.

As for the chips, remove the small cover (two screws) and look at the chip in the holder. If it has a small silver label with a 4-letter code then it is most likely stock (ACXA or BBKJ for example). The aftermarket chips have a different type of label that is sometimes hand written.

RemoveBeforeFlight

For the ECMs check the "Service No." on the paper label. A 1227148 is for the '86 & '87 cars. Not sure what the number is for the earlier ones.

As for the chips, remove the small cover (two screws) and look at the chip in the holder. If it has a small silver label with a 4-letter code then it is most likely stock (ACXA or BBKJ for example). The aftermarket chips have a different type of label that is sometimes hand written.

RemoveBeforeFlight

awesome, dude. thanks! i just bought a car that runs like ASS. i THINK i see aftermarket injectors, an aftermarket FPR and vacuum block, and a few other changes. how knows what ecu/chip is on the car. i'm gonna pull it all out tomorrow and check.

thanks again!

here are the three ECUs i found:

this one is in the car now. it runs HORRIBLY.

GNecu.JPG

GNecu1.JPG

GNecu1_2.JPG

GNecu1_3.JPG

this one appears to be an '86/87. sweet

GNecu2.JPG

GNecu2_2.JPG

the car also runs horribly on this ecu. if i try to rev the car, it sounds and feels like it's running on five cylinders, so i promptly shut the car off:

GNecu3.JPG

GNecu3_2.JPG

GNecu3_3.JPG

GNecu3_4.JPG

The 6459 is the 84/85 ECM. Need to make sure the chip in there was made for that ECM and not the 86/87 ECM.

Eric

The 6459 is the 84/85 ECM. Need to make sure the chip in there was made for that ECM and not the 86/87 ECM.

Eric

the chip in it reads "84/85 stock". so, i'm assuming it belongs. sadly, i don't have the switch for the chip.
the car has an adjustable FPR and mis-matched injectors. one has a green stripe, the others don't seem to. i have no idea what tune may or may not be on the chip that's in the car (the first one i posted with the red label that only has "8 5" listed on it). car runs like ass.

i'm gonna pull everything, install stock injectors and a stock ecu (assuming i have one) and go from there, i guess.

how do i know which ECU a chip was made for?

Can go by the BCC, which is the 3 or 4 letter code on the stock chip.

Another way is to insert the chip into the ECM, key-on, engine-off. If the SES flashes/flickers rapidly it is the wrong chip for that ECM or the chip is bad.

With the proper chip at key-on, engine-off the SES should turn on briefly, blink off, then turn on solid. Can repeat the test after a key-off of at least ten seconds.

RemoveBeforeFlight