How to swap doors?

mike87we4

:confused: Hello fellow TR fans, i recently purchase a GN driver side door from a friend. I myself have a 87 we4 that came with the door molding option. My question is does the molding come glued or clip to the door. Also how hard is it to swap the doors, is it something that you can do at home or is this a job for a bodyshop?

The molding is attached with adhesive, gluey substance.

you need a buddy to help you with the door R & R or try your luck with a jack.

The hardest part is dealing with the electrial stuff if you have those options. Other than that it's a matter of a couple pins. Sometimes those can be a pain to remove. Installing new ones with bushings are simple. I do warn you the spring...is a mother---- to put back in unless you have the right tools.

thanks 2 QK 4 U, both doors are fully electric, so all i have to do unplug and plug. What about alignment of the door gaps?

thanks 2 QK 4 U, both doors are fully electric, so all i have to do unplug and plug. What about alignment of the door gaps?

It's plug and play for the wiring but the plugs are located inside the door. So removal of the door panel is required. Also remove the rubber grommet that the wiring routes through. I think there is (2) 7mm screws holding it on the door.

The alignment of the doors is adjusted at the hinges on either the door side or the car side. Providing the doors are coming from another car I would definately check that after you pin them on. They should be close. I did a door swap on a Regal a while ago and they went right on and didn't need adjustment.

If you do have to adjust them, you can do that by loosening the 13mm bolts on the door side first. I recommend using a 1/4" drive with a regular 13mm socket

I would also like to add that your front to back alignment is done on the car side of the hinge. Up and down is on the door side. Pretty obvious when you think about how they are located.:cool:

dang it! more crap keeps coming to me...

Also while you have the door panel off, do not forget to swap out lock cylinders.

There is a "U" clip (similiar to the clip holding the shifter cable to the bracket) just pop that off and then there is another little clip holding the rod on. That is similar to the clip on the throtle cable/cruise cable. easy to pop off. Just make sure the lock cylinder is in the proper location with the key teeth pointing down.

Good luck.

thanks guys for your replies, i difinitely have to swap the door panel from mines to the new door, since i have a we4and the replacement door is a GN door. I totally forgot bout the lock cylinder, thanks 2QK4U.

No problem.

it's just a PITA to carry 2 different keys and figure out which one goes to the trunk and doors.

I had my new door panels on and was admiring how great they look. Shut the door and "Dohh" Had to tear it down again.

My first turbo Regal was a WE4, I miss that car.:mad:

A spool of 3M red trim tape works well to put the molding back on with.

Clean off all the old glue and goop from the trim, I used an X-acto blade on edge to GENTLY scrape away the old dried out crap from the plastic.

It comes in two width sizes you want the 1/4" to 5/8" width for the door trim.

Larger 3/4" width would be better suited to other emblems.

Large spool of it is a better value since it isn't all that cheap.

I might add that not all cars came with the factory stick on moldings. Some dealers added body side moldings that were riveted onto the door. Those are metal with a rubber insert that presses on. Good luck.