How to save $4500 dollars.

Xvetteowner

I know this isn't going to work in all cases but it worked for me. And its worth sharing with others in the hobby, A few months ago I purchased a WE-4 with 83k miles,zero rust for what I think is a good price ( $5300). The biggest problem with the car is it looked like it hasn't been washed or waxed in years. I took it to my local body shop who would repair a few dents ( Think the dent 'king"guy) and repaint the car the correct way for 4500 cash. They told me the paint can't be saved because its too dull and the water spots would never come out. Being in this hobby for 30 years, but never with a black car I thought the paint could be saved so I did the following 1) Removed the tires and repainted the wheel wells and the frame the correct shades of black, 2) Repainted the T-type rims with mag paint. 3) Wet sanded the car 1st with 1000 then 1500 and last 2000 sandpaper 4) Used a D/A polisher with 3M Finesse-it Finishing Material.5) Waxed only the upper part of the car above the rock guard paint. 6) Repainted with a 10 inch roller the lower part of the car ( Only were the rock guard is on ) with correct factory #19 paint code paint. This made the lower part of the car look new and the black matched great even in direct sun light to the rest of the car, then touched up other chips with the extra black paint. Now, I'm a guy that will see a chip from 10 feet, Real hard to please about how my toys should look and I got to say it not only looks great it Shines like glass without and lines in the paint even in the sun. I know a new paint job would look even better but it still nice to save money Its amazing with what you can do with sandpaper, hardwork and a D/A polisher.It's worth a try. It did take me 21 hours.

I know this isn't going to work in all cases but it worked for me. And its worth sharing with others in the hobby, A few months ago I purchased a WE-4 with 83k miles,zero rust for what I think is a good price ( $5300). The biggest problem with the car is it looked like it hasn't been washed or waxed in years. I took it to my local body shop who would repair a few dents ( Think the dent 'king"guy) and repaint the car the correct way for 4500 cash. They told me the paint can't be saved because its too dull and the water spots would never come out. Being in this hobby for 30 years, but never with a black car I thought the paint could be saved so I did the following 1) Removed the tires and repainted the wheel wells and the frame the correct shades of black, 2) Repainted the T-type rims with mag paint. 3) Wet sanded the car 1st with 1000 then 1500 and last 2000 sandpaper 4) Used a D/A polisher with 3M Finesse-it Finishing Material.5) Waxed only the upper part of the car above the rock guard paint. 6) Repainted with a 10 inch roller the lower part of the car ( Only were the rock guard is on ) with correct factory #19 paint code paint. This made the lower part of the car look new and the black matched great even in direct sun light to the rest of the car, then touched up other chips with the extra black paint. Now, I'm a guy that will see a chip from 10 feet, Real hard to please about how my toys should look and I got to say it not only looks great it Shines like glass without and lines in the paint even in the sun. I know a new paint job would look even better but it still nice to save money Its amazing with what you can do with sandpaper, hardwork and a D/A polisher.It's worth a try. It did take me 21 hours.

any pics of the finished car ?

This is an After picture

I don't have a before picture. Think unwashed or waxed for a few years. Cleaned only with a dry rag,no matter how much dirt was on the car

Attachments

• MyWE4 005.jpg
    MyWE4 005.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 316
Looks very good.
Can the sanding only be done if the car has been clear coated?

Be careful if your car has a clear coat

The quick way to tell is wax a small spot with a cleaner wax. If you get black paint on the rag you don't have a clear coat on the car. Speaking of rags use only Scott brand "rags in a box" They come in a yellow box for about 14.00 dollars. They could last you for 6 months after you get the car to the point of not being able to get it any better with buffing/hand waxing. These are the only rags that will not scatch your car. Anything else and your wasting your time. When you do finish all the wet sanding and polishing ( Use 3M Perfect-it #39009 , then do the whole car again with the same stuff by hand, That gets the swirl marks out that the buffer made.following by the Color wax ( has black in it) You will be shocked at how deep the paint looks.