How to re-set the proportioning valve button

Timbuick

Guys, I've read the thread on how to do this, my question is slightly different.
Having replaced the rear brake pipe I need to get the prop valve re-set.
i see that people either clamp it closed or use some sort of wedge.
I tried to push it in by hand and no luck (against fluid pressure?), to get it to retract is it easier to have a front bleed valve open whilst trying to push the button/valve back?
Ideas welcome. I need my rear brakes back!

I am no rocket scientist, but I believe that there is no "Reset" required once you bleed your brakes, as the porporationing valve is preset from the factory........that is unless you have other than O.E. equipment on your ride?........I'm sure that someone that is Smarter than I will jump in and correct me if I am wrong. :)

I hope you are right. But, i'm pretty sure i've read eleswehere on her that once a leak has been detected, the prop valve closes off supply to the rear brakes requiring the valve to be re-set

I hope you are right. But, i'm pretty sure i've read eleswehere on her that once a leak has been detected, the prop valve closes off supply to the rear brakes requiring the valve to be re-set

I have never done this in years of working on TR's...I have heard of what you are referring to, but I always bleed my brakes the way I always bleed brakes on any other vehicle and have been fine.

Ok, interesting, so just bleed the rear brakes and follow normal procedure? Happy to do that!

Just occurred to me, the brake warning dash light is still on. Pretty sure this implies a malfunction and need to re-set prop valve.

thanks to all, I bled the rear brakes today in the conventional manner, started the car up and had full brakes and no warning lights so i guess the prop valve is fine. Brakes (vacuum) are excellent, not least because i also fitted larger front calipers. Finally got to drive the car after some time off the road:cool: