how to hook broadband cable to my cpu?

quickbrick

my brother recently got broadband cable. i want to hook my computer up to it. the problem im having is i dont have any open pci slots. my cpu is about 6 years old and was top of the line when i bought it. it only has 2 pci slots, one has my 56k modem(my sound goes thru this card), the other has my graphics card. when i bought the cpu it had a ethernet card where my graphics card is now. my cpu also has an asi slot but i havnt seen ethernet cards for this slot.

i bought a usb connector to run cable thru it. its a compact usb 2.0 10/100 network adapter. i got it all installed and plugged it in. the lights on the adapter said it was working. but when i tried aol it searched for a connection and couldnt find my connection. anyone else using this adapter? did i buy the wrong one?

I think you *meant* to say ISA slots, right? The 16 bit ones are the black ones with 2 sections, a smaller and larger one, right?

If so, just get a 10 mbit ISA card off ebay. Should set you back about....... $.50 at best. It will cost more then the shipping. Dont bother going to a store to get one, nobody really makes them anymore. Just find a used one.

Actually wait, I have a few around here. Free.

Buy a calendar, Ill throw it in the envelope, hows that for a deal!

ya isa thats it. is that the most you can get out of one(10mb a second)? is that alot slower than the cable runs? i like playing some online games.

The MOST you will get from your broadband connection is around 1Mbit. Thats a good DSL/Cable speed. Most are 768K (.76 MBit)

A 10 Mbit card is 10x the speed of the connection, so its not a factor. A 100 Mbit card would speed up local network connections (like machine to machine file copying on your hub in your house)

A 100 Mbit card wont make the Internet any faster (in your case).

Just let me know. Put a note in your paypal or letter reminding me about the card. Have a 3com right next to me with your name on it if you want it.

I tested my broadband connection and it came in between 1300 kbps to 1800 kbps. So am I to assume this is good for broadband?

Originally posted by tjthorson
The MOST you will get from your broadband connection is around 1Mbit. Thats a good DSL/Cable speed. Most are 768K (.76 MBit)

A 10 Mbit card is 10x the speed of the connection, so its not a factor. A 100 Mbit card would speed up local network connections (like machine to machine file copying on your hub in your house)

A 100 Mbit card wont make the Internet any faster (in your case).

Just let me know. Put a note in your paypal or letter reminding me about the card. Have a 3com right next to me with your name on it if you want it.

ahhh............i dont agure with ur qoute about 1 mbit cable i get the regular comcast package (home user not bess. user) and i get about 2-2.5 mbits thats also with about 10 computers runing :confused:

im sorry i just dont think that your right about that

jim

Originally posted by ttypewe4jim
ahhh............i dont agure with ur qoute about 1 mbit cable i get the regular comcast package (home user not bess. user) and i get about 2-2.5 mbits thats also with about 10 computers runing :confused:

im sorry i just dont think that your right about that

jim
Most cable companies spec their lines to run at 1.5Mbit/sec under ideal conditions. Meaning that under normal use (not just you but your line loaded to a normal density of users, ie the people close to you who also have cable modems) 1.5Mbit/sec is considered to be a perfect connection. Many factors reduce the amount of bandwidth you'll get and this seems to be the number most companies chose for what they could reliably provide in a long term scenario. That being said some companies will limit your downloads to 1.5Mbit/sec, mostly to free up the bandwidth for other users as the lines become congested. Some companies don't do this though and you'll be able to take advantage of whatever bandwidth they let you above the stated amount. I also have comcast at home, and like it very much. :)

Hope this helps,
-Jade

FWIW,
Comcast just doubled their speed a little while ago. I am not sure if that is all area's or just mine but they even had a ad on TV stating it. Up to 3Mbit/sec. The most recent tests I have done are between 2.4Mbit and 2.8Mbit.

WoooooHooooo:D