How to get the most $$$ out of my car?

Berman

Ok my car is an 85 T-Type with an 87 drivetrain complete in it. The motor only has about 30k miles on it and just had the headgaskets replaced, along with timing chain - but i cant prove that. Anyway, the body and paint are ok, but it has some trunk-lid rust and door rust.

I need money for law school. Rather unfortunately my car has gotta go. The interior is all GN interior btw, fairly new.

Because it's an 85 and because of the rust, it's only with like $5k or something right?

Is there any way to increase it's value? Paint it and do the body work? I'm just wondering. I paid too much for the car in the first place.

Isnt this the car that was running 25psi on pump gas with 0º timing? HG finally let go, huh? Bummer.

Too bad you have to sell it, if you have it painted right (4k, maybe more due to rust) you will not get all of your money back. Maybe half of it.

I would sell it as is, and try for 6k. Rust is a big no no though, and since I have not seen how bad it is, it is hard to list a price

I would just super clean and detail the car the best I could and hope for the best. I doubt you'll be able recover all the money you'd have to put into the body and paint in order to get more for it. Most people that are willing to pay more than $6K for a turbo car are going to stay away from a converted hotair car.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Isnt this the car that was running 25psi on pump gas with 0º timing? HG finally let go, huh? Bummer.

Too bad you have to sell it, if you have it painted right (4k, maybe more due to rust) you will not get all of your money back. Maybe half of it.

I would sell it as is, and try for 6k. Rust is a big no no though, and since I have not seen how bad it is, it is hard to list a price

No the hg never let go, this was done right before I bought the car. It still runs 0 timing and 20-22 lbs of boost on pump gas with no knock.

Yeah i really don't want to sell it. I'd rather just keep it. My pops wants me to sell it, but I'm like wtf I'm gonna lose my ass? Because I am. I paid $7500 for the car, I paid way too much. Well I paid for the known low mileage motor, I've seen inside it, I've seen it leakdown tested and such, I paid because of the stereo, some other things. I also bought it things to get rid of wiring gremlins like a new wiring harness.

It's an 85, but the motor is an out of a wrecked 87. Mechanically it is 100% 87 GN.

His other idea was for me to sell my LS1, and fix up the GN. I'd do it, but from my experience, the GN is way unreliable, while the LS1 has not done one wrong thing to me except the freakin window motor broke in 3 years. And I've modded it a lot, as you can see from my sig.

It sucks, who would want to part with either car? What a choice. :mad:

Also I think I'm more attached to the LS1. I've owned it since new. And it's always treated me well, while my stupid t-type is a money pit. I do love the car, when it runs right I forget all the money and just enjoy the ride. Argh. I have like 10k in this car and can recover maybe 5-6k. I should just keep it. Grrrrrrr. :mad: :mad:

Hehe. For those wondering: in the 1/4, my t-type bitch slaps my TA. from a roll though, especially at higher speed - that ls1 runs it down. TA has much better aerodynamics than a g-body. And I'm sure makes more rwhp, but way less torque.

Say Bye-Bye Buick!

Like a long-ago song by Kenny Rogers, you got to know when to hold 'em, & know when to fold 'em.

Clean the Buick and get what you can during the current economic stagnation...quick. Don't look back. Priorities change in life.

Don't worry about losing money on it...most everyone here is likely "upside-down" in their car, with no hope of recouping their entire expenditures.

Tip-toe around in the TA the next 3-4 years, provided gas doesn't go to 3-4 bucks a gallon, & just focus on doing your best in school.

When you finish school & get on your feet afterwards, you'll be in a better position to afford & care for a car of your preference.

HTH & Good Luck! :)