How to get recording off of a DVR box?

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Long story short, the owner of our company is going to be on Squawk Box tomorrow, and I have the DVR set up in our company lounge to record it. How would I go about getting it off the DVR and burn it on DVD? I know some people skip the DVR and record strait to their computer. How is this done? It's Comcast, and I have the same setup at home, so if I can set it up to record to my home computer I'll do it there.

TIA

DVR >>>> Computer Just like a VCR

I pipe my DVR out to our computer with a tuner card in it. The other option is to go from cable/sat directly to the computer and just record with the capture card 's recording software. I do this on one of our computers and go DVR>>>>computer on another one.

I had a USB capture device that never really worked that well. It was plain usb 1.1, maybe the USB 2.0 devices are better. I just used the PCI version that installs in the computer. Maybe you could *buy* a USB one and see if it works. Just make sure the store has a good return policy if you don't like it.

Once installed, they can operate just like a VCR/DVR. schedule recordings and everything.

when you say you pipe it out to your computer with a tuner card, are you saying you can record something on your dvr, plug the dvr into your computer, and play the video on the dvr and capture it on the computer. I DVR'd the video, but I want to now capture it in a format that I can edit on the computer. Also how much for the video card?

TIA

A lillte more info for you.

Yes, you are correct about the connection. Here are a few links for example devices. Again, I really haven't touched much on the USB units so I can't comment on the performance of them. I am sure one of your local computer stores will have something that will work well for you.

If the USB device does provide decent quality, it will be nice and portable so you can move it to multiple computers with ease. Keep in mind that you should capture these files as .avi or .mpg at a fairly high quality. Capturing into Quick Time or Real Time, will require all users to have those specialized players installed on their computers. Not the best thing in the world.

Examples Only...

HAUPPAUGE WINTV PVR-150 MEDIA CENTER EDITION BUNDLE - eBay (item 330213904263 end time Feb-28-08 07:35:45 PST)

Hauppauge WinTV-USB2 Watch TV on your laptop or desktop - eBay (item 170195951156 end time Feb-24-08 12:03:33 PST)

I know this doesn't help you much with Comcast, but Dish Network's DVR's can be downloaded to a computer. They tell you how. I've heard that you can do it with the Comcast DVR but have not tried it myself.

when you say you pipe it out to your computer with a tuner card, are you saying you can record something on your dvr, plug the dvr into your computer, and play the video on the dvr and capture it on the computer. I DVR'd the video, but I want to now capture it in a format that I can edit on the computer. Also how much for the video card?

TIA

Some DVRs have DVD burners built right into them. I guess by your question yours doesn't. I think the way klrv6 suggested is probably best. You could also do it old school and find a VCR and put it on tape, but you'd still need a way to get it from tape to the computer and the quality wouldn't be that great.

A lot of the Windows XP "Media Center" PCs came with TV tuner cards and people don't even know it. Also, if you have RCA outputs on the DVR (which you probably do) you can record to the PC if you have a video capture card in said PC (different than a TV tuner and more common).

HTH,
Jim