How To: DIY Alignment

motorhead

motorhead mike
If ever there is a reason to do things yourself it is to ensure that they are done right and the way you want it. All too often in hobby we are at the mercy of others and their time/interest; usually getting their attention requires money.

I prefer to do things myself whenever possible because I don't trust many people with my engaging my interests or my money. A fool and his money are quickly separated.

This brings me to the magic of alignments. In the past most of us would have been lead to believe that you need a high dollar machine with flashing lights and needles to do a decent alignment. Not so much anymore...

Here's how I do it:

You'll have to buy a Longacre (or reasonable facsimile) camber/caster bubble gauge and a 3/4"-20 spindle adapter:
pic%20002.jpg

and four wheel dollies: Vehicle Dollies - 2 Piece, 1000 Lb. Capacity

1) Make sure everything is mechanically sound and serviceable in the suspension;
2) Full tank of gas;
3) Set up your rearend (control arm length, pinion angle, etc); and
4) Set your front and rear tire pressures to spec.

Next find a smooth, clean and level surface. I happen to be lucky enough that my garage floor is damn near perfectly flat. I found this out by following this procedure:
[YOUTUBE]

pic%20000.jpg

I didn't subscribe to the "tile" method of making turn tables/plates... partially due to the mess; but mostly because it does nothing to square the wheels under the car when using staggered wheels/track widths. Plus if you know anything about these cars you'll know nothing is ever square out of the box after a couple of decades. Instead I use wheel dollies:

pic%20001.jpg

In my process you have to ensure that the outside of the tire is TIGHT against the horizontal support bar on the dolly. There is a reason for this when setting the toe.

CAMBER

Pretty straight forward... add shims for more negative camber. Duh. Measure with tool. Repeat until satisfied. It helps to have the driver's seat weighted. I used my (future) wife, Natasha, as ballast (although a fair bit lighter); although she got the wrong impression when I said I wanted to use her ass. :eek: But, every little bit helps. ;)

pic%20003.jpg

CASTER

Same deal as the camber setting (unless you have adjustable uppers). Add shims as required. Adding shims to the rear most section of the cross shaft will increase your positive caster. You will be pretty limited in how far you can take this without an slotted/offset cross shaft or really long bolts and a lot of shims (not safe IMO). Pulling/sliding the arm to the rear also helps increase caster.

You will want to verify your camber setting throughout the caster setting process as it will likely change as you add/subtract shims. In most cases you'll have to make a compromise at some point in the whole process.

A good write up can be found here (thanks to charlief1): How to: Measuring Caster and Camber - How To - Circle Track Magazine

Other good info here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/g-body-drag-car-alignment-settings.290592/

TOE

The next step is to run fishing line (I was using 4lb, I would recommend heavier line) between the support bars on the front and rear dollies on both sides.

pic%20006.jpg

You can see the difference on the left and right sides of the car (pardon the camera angle/flash it throws a funny image vs. what the naked eye sees).

Driver's side:
REAR:
pic%20004.jpg

FRONT:
pic%20005.jpg

Passenger side:
REAR:
pic%20007.jpg

FRONT:
pic%20008.jpg

You can make out how much toe in there is just by how the line is resting against the outside edge of the dolly on the driver’s side. Next take your trusty tape measure and lay it across the outside edges of the dolly and get your base measurements.

pic%20010.jpg

FRONT:
pic%20012.jpg

REAR:
pic%20011.jpg

Now do your calculations. In my case I wanted roughly 3/16” toe in.

71.0” - 70.5” = 0.5”
0.5 - 0.1875” = 0.3125”

This meant that I had to turn the DS wheel out 5/16” to get the toe setting I was after and maintain a squared up chassis.

And just like magic:

pic%20013.jpg

Here is the final result:
pic%20015.jpg

and as you can tell my LCAs are parallel to the ground (or as close as I could get them):

pic%20014.jpg

SPECS

The starting specs for this car were:
Camber
R = -1.75* & L = -0.75*
Caster
R = 4.0* & L = 2.25*
Toe
Seriously didn’t care to check after seeing the numbers above.

Final settings:
Camber
R = -2.0* & L = -2.0*
Caster
R = 4.0* & L = 4.0*
Toe
3/16” (IN)

very good!

I have this ( actually Jeff has it right now)
and I agree, if you want it right, do it yourself.
where'd you get the 3/4-20 spindle adpter?
thanks for the right up.

Attachments

• 702.jpg
    702.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 369
Good timing,i am looking for some Wheel Dollies and need to know your opinion,i hear some are hard to get to go in a certain direction at first,

Sweep your floor. Seriously.

Those are the same basic ones I have.

Nice write up, and good thing you posted this!

Were using that camber/caster bubble device too but after many hours of fooling around with this, We decided that it's more an event tool for checking your geometry at the track than one to rely on as your final alignment....

We found that Although this tool is nice to have and all, I find it Much easier to spend the $50.00 (or cheaper) for a professional alignment from a local shop. It's always best and Much quicker!

Don't get me wrong, This is a Great devise to have on hand for quick checks of your front end geometry and a great tool for adding geometry to your front end while at the track on track days but we feel it's no where as accurate as the machines at a local professional alignment shop that uses state of the art digital equipment.

As a MUCH over-looked process, Digital scales are also a HUGE part of this balance game and getting your car to balance out properly is Very important when your going to do Auto-X/Road race events...

Below are a few picture's of what we use for track days or just before....

I see you have your Camber set at 2.0*.... I currently have mine at -1.50* but will soon be moving it to -2.0 then to -2.5* as advised by several racers in the industry who have raced g-body's.. But -2.0* seems like it would be a nice happy medium for street driving and track days..

Some said that I had my camber set that high just to fit my wheels, It's nice to see someone else run these numbers knowing it's for handling and NOT to stop wheels from rubbing!!! :biggrin:

Weeks away from being off the stock brakes AND suspension with these wheels that I was told would NOT work........

Scot W.

Attachments

• New scale pic's 009.jpg
    New scale pic's 009.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 357
  • New scale pic's 013.jpg
    New scale pic's 013.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 356
  • New scale pic's 016.jpg
    New scale pic's 016.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 379
I agree in principle here, but, you need a truely level surface and slip plates to do it right. Toe plates are much easier to use than the vehicle dollies and more accurate.

Thanks for posting the G body alignment thread and I still stick by what I said as far as where to set the car for the street and the drag strip. One of the biggest issues is dealing with SAI (steering axis inclination) problems. It takes a lot of calculations to figure out if you have any issues like bent spindles or a damaged frame. Doing a basic alignment is fairly straight foward but doing the advanced settings like SAI correction and thrust angle are much more involved and a lot of so called techs really have no clue on how to do them if the machine doesn't tell them what's needed.:frown:

Some of us are more in tune to figuring out angles and can just look at a car and tell it's not set right. I'd love to have the time to post all the info on how to do this but at the moment I'm still strugling to get the shop off the ground and make a decent go of it.:redface: If I can get everything going in the next year expect a post that will teach you how to do everything at home but it will require some extra tools that most guys aren't willing to use or buy. For most of the TB owners out there it's more trouble than it's worth. Since you can get a "life time alignment" through several national chains it's really easier and cheaper to go that way.:biggrin:

I agree in principle here, but, you need a truely level surface and slip plates to do it right. Toe plates are much easier to use than the vehicle dollies and more accurate.

Thanks for posting the G body alignment thread and I still stick by what I said as far as where to set the car for the street and the drag strip.
I agree 100% on the true level surface and slip plates. We used slip plates at DSE that had grease of some sort between the plates....and measured from the exact same spot every time, that helps too....

Charlie, please tell us again where you prefer to set the car for street or drag race and why.. Some may not know or seen you previous posts in regards to this...

Scot W.

I agree 100% on the true level surface and slip plates. We used slip plates at DSE that had grease of some sort between the plates....and measured from the exact same spot every time, that helps too....

Charlie, please tell us again where you prefer to set the car for street or drag race and why.. Some may not know or seen you previous posts in regards to this...

Scot W.

Well as far as street alignment use 3.25 degrees positive caster on the pass side and .35 to .5 lower on the drivers side. If you can achieve a .4 to .45 diff with the drivers side lower it will work best and give a slight drift to the shoulder in case something happens to the driver. This way you don't end up drifting into on coming traffic.:smile:

As far as a drag strip caster it needs to be over 4 degrees and is prefered at 4.5 degrees positive. The higher caster will wear tires on the edges when turning but it will keep the car going straighter. As an example, look at the caster wheels on your creeper. Granted it's not exactly the same but it is caster. The higher the caster the more the wheel will want to go straight. Make sure both sides have almost the same caster setting because the track should be fairly flat as oposed to roads that have a slight crown to allow rain run off.:biggrin:

seems like there's a lot of room for variation when you rely on some wheel dollies like that.

i got pretty good at doing alignments on my Nova using only 2 jackstands, some string, a carpenter's square, and an angle finder.
use the sidewall of the rear tires as a reference by running the string between the jackstands (one in front of the car, one behind the car) with the string barely touching the sidewall and measure off that for your toe setting just like i've seen NASCAR and Indycar teams do on pit road during a race use the square to set camber relative to the floor, and the angle finder to set the caster angle.
the hardest part was gettign the toe set just right so the wheel was perfectly centered. if it was off even a little, it would drive me crazy and i'd go thru it all again until i got it right..

doing this on my Nova, i had everything within a degree and 1/16" of where i wanted it when checked on a brand new rack with lasers and what not at the shop where my cousin worked at the time. my car was the second car to go on that rack, and they used it to practice operating it.

I suppose some answers/clarifications/comments are in order.

Bubble gauge: True, it is just a tool. But, like any tool it is only as effective as the person using it. I have had no issue using it on a G-body or 4th Gen F-body with successful results. For a total investment of $350 CDN (and things are always more expensive up here) in the bubble gauge, wheel dollies and fishing line it doesn’t seem to be working out too badly.

Modern shops and tools: Since both Scot and Charlie have businesses that focus on customer service and performance parts there is no doubt in understanding their perceived value of precision tools and the experience people who will do the work. I would also agree with this. However, up here shops that can provide these services are few and far between; and if you can find one you’ll see they are booked up or damn expensive if you can get an appointment.

Other service options: Then there is the technician vs. mechanic debate: A tech will only do what the book/machine tells him and mechanics (while capable of doing the grey-area work) will not necessarily take on the liability of sending you out the door with a suspension out of spec, or even be willing to go the “extra mile” to give you what you want (regardless of the money you waive at them with real paying suckers (aka. customers) are lining up behind you). In my case, and what prompted all of this, the last alignment this car had saw the “starting specs” I provided were what the car was set to. Clearly the mechanic (who I trusted) setting it up became bored with setting the right side camber (or simply ran out of shims) as there was a clear difference in the number present. Hence this DIY write up.

The “tools & methodology” - interpretation and repeatability: Yes, the dollies are an unconventional means, however, after checking and rechecking and rechecking and rechecking… the numbers always came back the same (camber, caster and toe). Also, it can be verified that there was no change in ride height from corner to corner (ie. weight jacking) when the car was put up on the dollies. So there was no distinct variation. I checked. ;) As for the floor I don’t have enough variation from corner to corner in floor to make the thickness of a “tile” a functional dimension… the floor is just that flat and level (the construction photos of this garage are amazing, it is better built than the house). The fishing line is only used to help verify the “squareness”, or with staggered wheels/track widths the angularity relationship between the axle centerlines and the actual measured difference between the front and rear. I wish I had AutoCAD here at the office to plot it all out. The ultimate goal here is to prevent the car from “dog tracking” down the road.

Advanced tuning/engineering: It would be great if we could all have Art Morrison build us a custom chassis’ that are optimized to our needs and this vehicle platform. Unfortunately when you are stuck with the stock pick-up points and stockish parts you cobble together the best you can with what you have. Even with an auto-engineer in the family (my Brother) there is only so much the two of us can design-build without a dedicated shop and bottomless pockets filled with money and time. Futhermore, most folks won’t notice or understand the benefits of advanced suspension setups if they have never actually tested the stock stuff at the limit.

Take from all of this what you will… I am only looking to promote conversations that don’t revolve around "fitting X-sized tires on X-sized rims".

only reason I bought the tools

to do the alignment.......
I cannot find a shop locally to do it right, I've tried 4 diff shops, and all are
mass production shops, "just get it in and out" as fast as possible.
I ask for a print out and get excuses, so finally thought why pay people to half a$$ it !
I have a new silverado that wears tires , took it in and they "fixed" it, still wears tires. so why bother?
I know the digital/lazer alignment racks are far superior, but finding someone
to properly runs it is the problem.
I've had my 57 chevy to 4 diff alignment shops, (it has dropped spindles,lowered, etc) and all say can't help ya!

I use the tile with grease method, as I have a 4 post rack and with my luck the car would roll off the rack!
Thanks!

Thanks for the really interesting walkthrough and subsequent discussion. You learn something every day around here.

Other service options: Then there is the technician vs. mechanic debate: A tech will only do what the book/machine tells him and mechanics (while capable of doing the grey-area work) will not necessarily take on the liability of sending you out the door with a suspension out of spec, or even be willing to go the “extra mile” to give you what you want (regardless of the money you waive at them with real paying suckers (aka. customers) are lining up behind you).

I will say that I've been in the business now for almost 30 years and have noticed a bad trend with so called "alignment techs". Most of them don't have a clue on how to align a car if it uses shims to adjust the suspension. The mentality of "set the toe and let her go" predominates. I remember working at Firestone in DFW and Waco and in both cases the guys doing the work couldn't figure out why the car had an issue. One of them took me about 20 minutes of looking to find the subframe had shifted because of a loose bolt. The other one was an SS Impalla and he couldn't figure out why his tires were wearing on the outside edges. The machine in both cases showed that the cars were in alignment and in the "green" so they set the toe and sent them on down the road, only to come back with issues.

The solutions to both were simple fixes but when being paid on flat rate you have to be fast so the faster you are the more money you make. That is the clue here. The way current shops are set up it's hard not to work 60 to 80 hours in a week to make a living. Go from one car to the next as fast as you can and you will miss things because you have to keep the volume up.

Most guys don't really care how the car drives since it's not theres so they just do enough to prove that they've done the required work to get it down the road safely and not come back on them.:mad:

Mike,

I wasn't aware of the lack of places where you are and totally agree with the incompetent tech's, now I completely understand why you do things on your own.. You definitely have a nice looking car, I wish one day we could round up a bunch of these cars from here and have an Auto-x event....That would blow peoples minds to have a Bunch of these cars show up...

Keep up the good work!

Scot W.

I wasn't aware of the lack of places where you are and totally agree with the incompetent tech's, now I completely understand why you do things on your own.

Yeah, our population is 1/10 the size of the US', with 0.001% giving a crap about cars. Here's the funny thing: my Dad was a master mechanic and when he was in the early days of his career he specialized in front ends. I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. ;)

You definitely have a nice looking car, I wish one day we could round up a bunch of these cars from here and have an Auto-x event....That would blow peoples minds to have a Bunch of these cars show up...

Thanks...

Come on up to Canada and we'll run 'em because my days of long trips to race in the States are over... for now.