how to change the springs?

turbo_tomas

I got a set of 4 eibach lowering springs. How do I get the old ones out and the new ones in? Do I need a spring compressor or can I just use a jack and jackstands to remove and install. Any suggestions or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

The rears are easy, get the car up in the air with about 4-6" of room from the ground to tire when the rear end is hanging.Then unbolt the bottom shock bolts and pull down on the rear end and pull the springs out, then stick the new ones in and reinstall the shock bolts. Make sure the rubber isolaters on top of the rear springs are in good shape and positioned before you throw the springs in. For the fronts I would get the car pretty high in the air unless you have a lift. Pull the front wheels off. then unbolt the sway bar links and pull the lower ball joint cotter pin and loosen the lower ball joint nut, but leave it screwed on a few threads so you don't get injured from anything when you pop the ball joint loose. You might need a pickle fork for the ball joint if you have not done them before. Once the ball joint is loose put the jack under the lower control arm and put some preasure on it. Take off the ball joint nut and lower the jack slowly until you can pull the jack out of the way. Now the spring only has a little preasure holding it in the pocket. I usually take a 4' pry bar and pop the bottom of the spring out and let it fall on the ground. once they are out repeat in reverse. I usually tape the front spring isolaters to the top coil spring so they are positioned correct for the install. Hope that helps.

NOT PICKLE FORK! unless you wanna press in a whole new ball joint. heres what you do instead of using a pickle fork just take a hammer, like a mini sledge or a maul, and wack the metal of the hub around the stud of the ball joint. dont hit the stud, dont hit the nut, just hit that thick metal. the shock of the impact will break the slight press fit of the ball joint stud. I've replaced more ball joints than most people have ever seen, i used to do about a dozen ball joint jobs a week on many different cars. if you use a pickle fork there is a really good chance that not only will the stud come out of the hub, but also stretch the ball socket on the other end. this whackin technique also works great on idlers, tie rods and pitman arms. everything else jp87gn said is spot on, except you may need a buddy to help you pull on that prybar. unless you enjoy hurtin yer back. ;)

I use the prybar technique on everything too. I just didn't want to ramble on more than I did already! :D Some poeple can use a tool for its intended use without damage to anything and some will make a mess of the whole job! :eek:

Don't forget it's a good idea to wrap a chain around the front spring when doing that so it doesn't come out at 100mph and take your head off. Save-T First! :eek: