how rich should my exhause smell??

alliedmike

2 Cyl short NO PROBLEM
Hey guys, ok so I have a freshly rebuilt 86 engine nothing fancy done to it just a rebuild with some beefing up to the bottom end, I have fuel pressure set properly and a new map sensor and new oxygen sensor the car fires right up and runs good but its very rich. Very stinky and when you rev it up a little bit and let off it goes back town to idle and stumbles for a few sec sometimes stalls some times its fine...any ideas
thanks in advance mike

what chip? headers in good shape no cracks? do you have a scanmaster? if so whats the readings?

The chip is a red armstrong alky chip I do not currently have a scan master its on order...I have not driven the car yet don't really want to without a scan master and making sure everything is good. The headers are brandnew

The chip is a red armstrong alky chip I do not currently have a scan master its on order...I have not driven the car yet don't really want to without a scan master and making sure everything is good. The headers are brandnew

Depends a lot on how far up the pipe your nose is...........:eek::D:p
Ha ha ha ...It just seems rich (without my nose up the pipe) ha...I had it running in garage with door open and the back half of the car was hanging out of the garage and the fumes burn my eyes and even with the entire car out of the garage if im sitting in it at idle within 2 min I can't stand the smell and it sticks to me and my clothes ..I just think its too rich

wait till u get the scanmaster hooked up so we can get a better idea of whats going on

Actually, if the cat is gone, the smell can be pretty overwhelming, even is nothing's wrong.
As mentioned, the SM should give you a pretty good way to calibrate your nose....:eek::D

ok finally got my scanmaster installed ...car is up to normal operating temp here is the data...02-757 af-11 L8-67 int-120 bL-90 clt-175 ats-52 r-900 tps-42 iac-44 cc-55 now maybe with the data someone may have an idea on why the car is running so rich at times it puffs smoke out the exhaust and will idle rough like its loading up

i played with the fuel pressure at idle ..i turned it down..up..way down way way down and still never got the bl to do much more than flicker between 90 and 110 most of the time sitting on 90 and so rich my eyes are watering

I don't have the paperwork infront of me but its a red armstrong chip for alky and 50lb injectors right now im set to 40psi line off. But I have turned it down to 30 psi and tried that just for sake of troubleshooting and still could not get the bl to do more than flicker between 90 and 110

most chips ive ran across in the cold start and warmup stage of running, go super rich i.e. 10.5 ish

most chips ive ran across in the cold start and warmup stage of running, go super rich i.e. 10.5 ish
Well that's the thing cold start is when its best smells fine much leaner very smooth idle..once it is warmed up and comes out of open loop that's when the problems start

Its the Reds chip causing that rich idle. Had that chip years ago burned for 009s and had that same problem. I believe Your fuel pressure should be set at 43psi line off per the recommendations. No matter how much you lean it out it will stay at around 90blm.

Its the Reds chip causing that rich idle. Had that chip years ago burned for 009s and had that same problem. I believe Your fuel pressure should be set at 43psi line off per the recommendations. No matter how much you lean it out it will stay at around 90blm.
Shit! ! ! What now ..well that's no good ..its so rich its going to foul out the plugs weekly if I run it at this rate. If that's the case I hope he takes the chip back

Give him a call to see if something can be done. Or get a turbotweak chip burned for your combo.