how reliable is a typhoon??

6-b-kwik

getting back in it
i have a 2001 monte carlo ss with 46,000 miles a little tired of it now.my uncle wants to buy it off of me and i think i am going to sell it to him.but i need a new daily driver i have a 87 gn modified that sits in the garage as a fun car! i drove my buddies typhoon and i fell in love with it,i almost bought one already but past it up! i was gonna spend arond 10,000-15,000 for on with 40-60 thousand miles,i need something with awd for winters up here and i thought this would be perfect.just wondering if they have any major problems and are able to handle daily driver...i had no probs with my 87 thank god plz let me no thxs greg

Well, most people will say that they are not reliable at all.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I drove my first Ty every day and I drive my current Ty every day. I do have some mishaps where something goes out on me, but all in all, both have been fairly reliable for me. My first one had 109k miles, and my current one has 130,000 miles, both original motors.

A few things that I've had many problems with is starters.......the turbo eats em up with the heat. You also should count on tune ups every few months to 6 months. I'm pushing 23psi out of my stocker, 307whp/455 ft-lbs tq and it has yet to blink.

I'd say, keep up on your maintenance, don't launch it all the time, and do all the necessary mods when you first get the truck (intercooler upgrades, tuneup, fuel pump, FPR, etc), and let it run. Most people I've noticed having a lot of problems with their truck is that they don't pay attention and get it tuned right, leading them to abusing the truck with a bad tune.......just leading to more problems.

All in all..........mine throws a curveball at me a few times a month, but has yet to leave me stranded anywhere.

I agree with Dan it seems that Ty's for the most part are reliable as long as you take care of them. They are kind of like a supermodel girlfriend, they reqiure a bit of attention and maintnence but when they put out it it well worth it!

My current TY has 167,000 miles and all though it is currently running like ****, it is still very dependable I am never worried that it will break. Although it is hard to break when you only have 6 pounds of boost on tap! I live in denver and drove my last ty day in day out in the winter and it was wonderful no problens ever.

Mike