How realible are Tys

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
In the next year or so I am going to be in the market for a new family truckster. I want something with a attitude. So far I have narrowed it down to a Ty, a GN, or a Impala SS. I am not crazy over four doors, so that leaves two choices. The main question that I have is, how realible are Tys. I already have a Turbo Regal that has snowballed into something that it was never supposed to be (long story). I don't need another PITA. I want something that I can throw the kids in the back and go. The only mods would be exhaust, air filter, and a chip. And of course any maintence items such as the intercooler hoses and pump. What other little things can and will go wrong with these vehicles. Are they a PITA to work on. How hard are the parts to get? Can you go to Autozone or a local auto parts store. Or do you need a specialty place like ATR. Any information would be greatly apperciated. Like i said earlier it will be awhile before I can get anything. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row. Thanks.

We are all in the same boat as far as reliability goes, but if maintained right they can be reliable. As far as parts most can be gotten from autozone, with the exception of the cladding (which is very hard to find). But the biggest ones are the tranny and motor, stock trannys suck, and on the motor watch out for knock.