how often does this happen?

86grandnat.

It seems that everytime I bring the old National out, I get a lot of complinments, but everybody thinks its a monte carlo ss!!! Its nice to see people notice a nice car when they see one, but every time I hear "nice ss" I just wanna slap them upside the head! I even get the "nice ss" whenever i take the Hurst out too, and in my opinion they look NOTHING alike! I don't understand why most people think of Monte Carlo's when they see these beautiful rare cars? This ever happen to you??

I'm one of thousands on this board who'll say, "All the time!". It's just that most people have never heard of these cars. My most hilarious one was when this guy's son looked at my car and told his dad, "That's a nice Monte Carlo.". His dad corrected him with, "That's not a Monte Carlo, that's a Grand Am!". :rolleyes:
Oh, well, I guess he was kinda on the right track.

I make it a point to tell every GN owner I see "Hey! nice Monte Carlo!":D

Then I fill them in that I have one too and I was just pulling their leg.

I had some vinyl lettering made for the top of the windshield of my T and people still say "nice Monte". I don't say anything anymore, I just shake my head and either walk away or look away.

Originally posted by AZ Vic

Aaaaahahahahahaaaaa, I'll have to do that if I run into somebody with a GN :D

[something about Mary] "Just fu*king with you, Ted!" [/Mary] :D

All the time. Then they seem so sad that the car only has a V-6 instead of the mighty 305 V-8. :(

I'm sure that almost everyone has had this happen. One time I was at Nick Micale's house (there were at least 7 GNs out front), and some guy pulled up and asked if we were the Monte Carlo Club of Arizona! :eek:

The statement that always kills me is when people tell me I should have gotten the 350!?! I can't believe how many people believe that it was possible to get a 350 in an 80's G-Body...

OR,,when someone tells you nice GN and then proceeds to tell you that they used to own an SS.....:confused: Who cares :rolleyes: and then tells you he used to beat GN's with it.

howa bout them telling you that they had a friend that bought a GN that was white brand new that came with a 350 and twin turbo's,,it was a special package.

oh oh oh!!! what about the jiffy lube emblem on the car?? Heard that too. At a car show a couple of years ago some guy starts laughing at the car cause it had jiffy lube emblems on it!! :mad:

Friggin morons!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Originally posted by gnturboray

oh oh oh!!! what about the jiffy lube emblem on the car?? Heard that too. At a car show a couple of years ago some guy starts laughing at the car cause it had jiffy lube emblems on it!! :mad:

Friggin morons!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!

I get the Monte Carlo SS thing all the time and had one guy ask if it had a 350. Probably the #1 reason I love my car.....people don't know what it is. I was at a car show one day and was cruisin' around after words. The streets were packed with muscle/sports cars. This fox body mustang was next to me and the driver said something stupid about my car to his buddy. All I could hear coming from the backseat, one of his other buddies, was thats a Grand National man, they are fast. That was the one time I was truely impressed. When you run into the few people that know these cars and have an appreciation for them that makes up for the people that think its a Monte Carlo SS. Nick

:D GOOD ONE! :D

I get "Nice Monte Carlo!" all the time but I have been driving the 72 Monte when it happens.
Funny thing is when I am driving the Cutlass I get "nice Regal":rolleyes: They seem to be preferred here as lowriders are still pretty popular and Regal seems to be the choice.
I also hear alot of "Does that have a 442 in it?":rolleyes: People! Naww, it's gotta hemi! :eek:

Originally posted by Devil Car
I'm sure that almost everyone has had this happen. One time I was at Nick Micale's house (there were at least 7 GNs out front), and some guy pulled up and asked if we were the Monte Carlo Club of Arizona! :eek:

The statement that always kills me is when people tell me I should have gotten the 350!?! I can't believe how many people believe that it was possible to get a 350 in an 80's G-Body...

Ok you can laugh at me but I thought you could get a 350 in a monte ss. :eek:

OK I have one. Sitting at a drive thru window, lady in her mid 40's "That's a pretty car"
"Thank You" I said
"I just think those are the most beautiful body style" says her
"Yeah, I think so too" I said
"Me and my ex-husband bought a Grand Prix just like that in 1982"
"Get out of my sight" I thought:rolleyes:

At a cruise-in one night-

A guy who looked to be in his late 30's and had probably drank more than a beer or two in his day..

"Hey dude sweet ride"
"Thanks man" I said
"Whatcha got in there? A 350?"
"Nah, I'm running a 400 Pontiac motor just like the one in Smokey and the Bandit" I said
"REALLY???? That's awesome!!!!"
He walked off muttering about how cool that MONTE CARLO with the 400 was...

I had an encounter at a convenient store yesterday. Some guy asked if it was a real Grand National and if it was turbo I said yes. He said he didnt believe it was turbo and started walking to the store he must of heard me pop the hood becuase he stopped and came back. He looked it over and knew alot about them, saying this was the real deal and didnt want to race anymore. Was kind of nice to find someone that knew something about the car even if he doubted it in the beginning.

When I first bought my car a year ago I took it into town and none of the kids knew what it was, and they would ask, what does it have, and I would tell them, its just a v-6. Then they would all preceed to say how there car could woop mine and why did I pay soo much for such a slow car...bla bla bla. So, as I left the local gas station this kid in a RSX typeS gets a head start and takes off, and I floor it, pass him while the tires are spinning, and thats the last i hear about my slow car, haha. Now all I hear is how its got a 454 twin turbo, stupid kids(even though i am one)!

Are you a truck driver? And did you do that same thing to someone towing a GN about a year ago getting some gas at a truck stop (I think it was TX).

Originally posted by GNeric
I had some vinyl lettering made for the top of the windshield of my T and people still say "nice Monte". I don't say anything anymore, I just shake my head and either walk away or look away.

Same here... I had a hot air years ago with the "BUICK turbocharged" lettering (like on the hood liner) in big white vinyl across the top of the windshield. I in school at the time, working at a parts store. At work one day, I heard someone ask the cashier, "why does that guy have 'Buick' on the windshield of his Monte Carlo?" :rolleyes:

My wife was out somewhere in the GN, and a guy stopped and said "Nice Cutlass!" She said she all she could do was laugh at the guy. :rolleyes:

I don't know if it is age or experience, but when I go to the track on test and tune nights and there are a lot of kids and a lot of ricers, no one knows what a GN is and after I run an 11 and tell them it's just a V-6 they go :eek:

I was at the track for a race car test and everyone knew what it was - most of the racers say they would love to have one and call it the king of the street. They still shake their heads though at the performance of a little 231ci motor. :cool: