How much would you pay for a full 1986 GN drivetrain?

DARTHV6

Hey all,
I see a full drivetrain for sell in my area: 1986 engine, transmission, intercooler, drive shaft, rear end axels drums, radiator, turbo. Says it was removed to put an aluminum motor in but ran at the time. How much would you pay?
Thanks
Art

If I didn't see it run and shift (or know for a fact it did), I'd pay what ever the individual parts are worth. Alxe, intake, accessory drive, block, etc....

A good assumption is that you're going to have to build the engine and build the transmission. If the axle is a posi is a factor too.

If I didn't see it run and shift (or know for a fact it did), I'd pay what ever the individual parts are worth. Alxe, intake, accessory drive, block, etc....

A good assumption is that you're going to have to build the engine and build the transmission. If the axle is a posi is a factor too.
The guy is asking $2000.00 and he won’t split it up. Says he has to get rid of it all. I was just interested in the transmission cuz I don’t have a spare. How much do those go for now?

If its really from 86 grand national,all that stuff worth twice that at least. Bring truck,buy it all and run for 2 grand.
Gene,
That’s what I’m thinking! BUT (As a freshly retired State Trooper) I’ll be looking over my shoulder for the cops all the way home. Lol!

You could always run the reconstructed VIN off the block and tranny pads with one of your not retired buddies. ;)

I'd say $2K was fair, but it's still a gamble as to how serviceable the stuff is gonna be.

You could always run the reconstructed VIN off the block and tranny pads with one of your not retired buddies. ;)

I'd say $2K was fair, but it's still a gamble as to how serviceable the stuff is gonna be.
Heh heh!... better not *wink!*
It’s always a gamble that I’m not good at. You know that motor I had on an engine for 18 years? I just got lucky and it was clean. Who knows about this. The pictures look decent. Then again, if I bring another motor in this house, the wife would go through the roof! Do you have room at your place? I might need a favor. Lol!

The guy is asking $2000.00 and he won’t split it up. Says he has to get rid of it all. I was just interested in the transmission cuz I don’t have a spare. How much do those go for now?

At 2K, just buy it.

It would literally take less time to read this reply than to get those parts.

Go get 'em!, wrap it in some bags and tarps and you can store it next to my original transmission that's out in the back yard from my WE4. :p

Actually, I also have another WE4 roller that you could just drop the motor and tranny in and drive it home lol. o_O:cool:

Actually, I also have another WE4 roller that you could just drop the motor and tranny in and drive it home lol. o_O:cool:

salvageV6,
You REALLY want me to be broke and unmarried the rest of my life don't ya! Unless ya wanna just give that WE4 roller to me! What are friend for huh?

Art

Well, you guys got me thinking more with your comments. Iv'e been doing nice things for the wife lately. You can't really justify having all that laying around. I might swing it if she thinks it's a good deal. I'll talk the guy down to $1,500 and tell her all yall said it was a good deal. That way, she can come after you guys when I spend $1,500! Sound good?

2K is a good deal for all of that stuff, there should be no vacillating. Buy it.

like buyin a pig in a poke !! been there an done it. believe nobodys hearsay. are you looking for parts or using it in a car ?

like buyin a pig in a poke !! been there an done it. believe nobodys hearsay. are you looking for parts or using it in a car ?
Haven’t heard that expression in a long time! I have a complete spare engine for my car but I don’t have a spare transmission. Our cars are so old, you can never have enough. Parts are getting harder to find but this is the first time I’ve seen a whole drivetrain advertised. Still thinking why he would get rid of it just because he’s going to an aluminum motor?? Ya, still trying to get my money around. Much more difficult on this retirement income!

Art

I got it. I think I got a good deal. I never do well in negotiations but I can out ok this time!:
Full drive chain taken out of a 1986GN
Engine
Transmission and converter
Drive shaft
Rear end, springs, control arms, sway bar
Cross over pipe
Turbo
Radiator, shield, transmission lines
Innercooler, MAF tube
Coil, alternator, alternator
Starter
Everything I believe except the down pipe and the speedometer cable.
$1600.00 from $2,000.00. I’m happy! Thanks for all your hints and help.
A1D81549-E1D6-4A38-ADD0-1CA7AFB82936.jpeg
398EB07C-A741-4B86-861F-A27390F0121B.jpeg

Hey, this is weird........

I walked out and looked at my parts car this morning, haven't looked at it for months.........

It is now missing:

Engine
Transmission and converter
Drive shaft
Rear end, springs, control arms, sway bar
Cross over pipe
Turbo
Radiator, shield, transmission lines
Innercooler, MAF tube
Coil, alternator, alternator
Starter

**Car**

Anyone have any ideas, hear something, able to point me in a direction?

;):D;)

Last edited: