how much truck do I need?

jcawley3

I need to pull 7000-7500 lbs......I'm looking for a $5k ish priced used tow vehicle.... will a 1/2 ton pickup do the job.....all driving will around town no highway speeds.... thanks for the advice...

what are you towing?

your problem will be excess heat in the trans, so manual trans might be better. 1/2 might do it, but 3/4 or 1ton would be stronger in long run,
its your pocket, but diesel will tow better, but gas is cheaper,
I tow with 1/2 tn chevy, but all highway,

yeah, I knew it would be close....was just wondering if anyone here was hauling that much with a 1/2 ton truck.....trying to find a 3/4 diesel cheap....I don't care about the looks or year as long as it will pull for a while...

I towed a 8K lb boat around with a 1/2 ton, had to make a panic stop once:eek: Never again, 3/4 ton and your safe:cool:

I towed a 8K lb boat around with a 1/2 ton, had to make a panic stop once:eek: Never again, 3/4 ton and your safe:cool:

+1 to that! Half ton's are worthless, You can get a decent 3/4 ton mid 90's chev for what your looking to spend. 4L80E transmission, A small block and a 10.5 14 bolt and you got yourself a sturdy tow truck. If you can find one with a big block even better. Avoid the pre-duramax GM diesels though.....My rig is an 02 2500HD with an 8.1 and would outpull my 06 F350 6.0PSD all day long:eek:

Too bad you're in SC. We've got 4-5 trucks on our lot that all fit what you'd need, as long as you don't need 4X4. One or two would probably be a little above $5k but they're flexible.

Nemaha Valley Motors in Seneca offers Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles

Check out the 01 dodge cummins dually, the 95 ford flatbed dually, the 95 ford crew cab dually, or the 94 chevy with the service bed. And if you want a REALLY nice 1/2 ton, the black 96 GMC used to be mine.

As mentioned above, the stop and go with a load would kill most 1/2 ton automatics, but there are some heavy 1/2s out there that could handle it. Stopping could be made adequate with the use of trailer brakes, but if you're doing it repeatedly they could overheat. Depends on your route I suppose.

How about a super nice K10 Blazer? My buddy is selling his for $5900 and it's got brand new black paint! I told him he needs to ask way more but thats what he wants for it so whatever I suppose:confused: ! He is a painter so it looks amazing and runs just as good.

+1 to that! Half ton's are worthless, /QUOTE]

Wow...pretty blanket statement...I've towed my car(87 T)...about 5600 lbs with trailer...all over with my 1/2 ton and no problems...plenty of power...maybe a little doggy going up a big hill...but it's not worthless...hey to each his own...

I pull 7500+ lbs with my 97 Chevy Tahoe every now and then (skid loader). It will pull it ok, but I'd love to trade up for a 1-ton diesel. I've talked with others that have gone to 3.73 or 4.11 rear ends on 1/2 tons and said that helps a lot.

Biggest thing I'd be scared of with a 1/2 ton and that load is the brakes being able to stop you. All in-town driving will wear them out that much quicker, too. As much as I love my GMC Duramax, if you really want a 1/2 ton look at the Fords because they seem to have GM and Dodge beat on the tow ratings.

thanks for all then input.....petty sure I'm going with 3/4 ton...not to much around here right now...

Too bad you're in SC. We've got 4-5 trucks on our lot that all fit what you'd need, as long as you don't need 4X4. One or two would probably be a little above $5k but they're flexible.

Nemaha Valley Motors in Seneca offers Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles

Check out the 01 dodge cummins dually, the 95 ford flatbed dually, the 95 ford crew cab dually, or the 94 chevy with the service bed. And if you want a REALLY nice 1/2 ton, the black 96 GMC used to be mine.

As mentioned above, the stop and go with a load would kill most 1/2 ton automatics, but there are some heavy 1/2s out there that could handle it. Stopping could be made adequate with the use of trailer brakes, but if you're doing it repeatedly they could overheat. Depends on your route I suppose.

I like the flat beds...that would be perfect...

The heavier the truck the better it will handle with a trailer. I used to have a 1/2 ton and I've towed a car to BG. It did alright, sluggish up hills and I relied mostly on the trailer brakes. When that truck died (a sudden death...smash) I bought a 1 ton. It was a night and day difference. I barely notice the trailer behind me now. The truck weighs about 7400 with me and my tool box and I get about 18 mpg lite and about 15 loaded (its diesel)