how much to pay for a head gasket job?

T

Turboaddict

I didn't blow mine yet, but probably will in the future(knock after knock after knock). How much would i be looking at?

dang im in the wrong business!!!

make lots of friends with turbo regals, keep the fridge stocked with beer, and envite them over when you pop a head gasket

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
dang im in the wrong business!!!

Well, lets see what is involved? Head gaskets ~$90, intake gasket $30, oil and filter, possible pan gasket. If all goes well, labor about 6 hours not including re-torque, Local shops run from $60-80 per hour. With a blow into the water passage the pan must be removed and all oil passages flushed then also figure a case of oil and R&R the cam sensor.

So $500-750 does not seem out of line.

Prolly takes 4 hours just to clean off all the graphite from the stock headgaskets.... :D :D

Save $$$

Hey,
If you blow a head-gasket, try to replace it yourself to save money. It may seem hard, but, if you have any mechanical skills you could do it. If you dont trust yourself, then dont do it. Honestly, its not that hard. Ive done it enough to be able to do the complete job on both heads in a day. Just takes patience at first but, when you think of all the money youve saved, you could buy some speed parts with it instead!! Good luck and I hope you dont ever blow them!
Derek:cool:

I just pulled the heads off a customers car (to do a valve job) and it took nearly 4.5 hours to get it apart.

I thought I was doing pretty good.

I find it hard to believe that the whole job is only 6 hours.

The GM gasket kit is about $100, that includes valve cover, head and intake manifold gaskets.

Wow thats quick.
Book time for the head gaskets in my van was like 16 hours:eek:
Needless to say a friend and I did the work, not the shop.
I hope I dont have to do the Regal's anytime soon...