How much milage is too much?

Sr2003

Hello,

I have been looking for a GN for a long time. I am a high-school student, so I have a limited budget, about 7-8k at MOST. Anyway, I found a GN for 7,900 OBO. The kicker is, the body has 134k on it, and the motor has 20k on it. I have not yet seen the car online, I just found an add, and I plan on calling tommorow to find out more. I was wondering, should high milage scare me away? My friend said treat it like a 60's muscle car, ignore milage, it's just a number, look at the condition of the car, has the powertrain been rebuilt over time. Does this sound reasonable with GN's?

Thanks,
Steve

I would be wondering of the shape of the interior. And about the transmission. Don't assume that they had the transmission rebuilt. Ask the seller. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I would find someone who knows these cars inside out and take them with you.Even if you have to pay them a few bucks gas money to come and look it over.Also plan to spend money in the next few years for maintainance.That kind of price will get you a decent car if you're careful,but remember that it's a performance car.Something will give out on you.Hopefully it won't be too expensive.:confused:

Well unless it is immaculate 7900 is a little high IMO. Of course it is on the east coast so everything costs more out there. All you can do is try to get a car without rust (be sure to check floor pans and under the rug in the trunk) and one that has not been too abused. Many guys on here have cars with 150-200k and have had great results. Expect to put 1-2k in any car right after you buy it and you will not have any disappointments.

BTW I paid $8500 for mine with 75k, no rust, a Jaspers motor and new turbo, the old block and turbo, and a crappy paint job.

Don't let a high mileage car scare you. As long as the drivetrain is in good working order, it should be O.K. Check out the buyers guide on www.Gnttype.org . It has some good tips on what to look for when buying a TR.

BTW, my car had 136K when I bought it and I paid $6,500. It just needed a Tranny rebuilt (original), valve springs (you WILL have to get new ones) and some tunning (without a Scantool of any sort :D ) and it became a 13.3 car with 22psi.

HTH
:cool:

206,000 miles on my car. Motor/tranny only have 8k. Mechanically I wouldn't be too worried about the milage, what you need to be concerned with is how well the car was maintained. Did it sit outside all its life or was it garaged. Does it look like it has 136k miles on it by looking under the hood, or did the owner keep it nice and clean. Check for rust everywhere. If you start finding it in more than one place, pass on it.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Mechanically I wouldn't be too worried about the milage, what you need to be concerned with is how well the car was maintained.

I'll second that.

Also, check with the local Buick GS club, see if the seller is a GS club member or if any of the club members know the history of the car. Maybe somebody has sen it at the track, etc.

Thanks for the help. It sounds like you guys are right around the same idea as my friend. Just look at the condition of the car, see how it was kept and stuff. I know stuff will need to be replaced. I am going to call them later today and see how it sounds.

Steve

I'd worry about any rebuilt engine in a TR without receipts from a noted engine builder. Find out the definition of rebuilt it varies from person to person.

I'd rather have a GM unopened 130K one. :)

Then again 20K on a rebuild should assure you that it was done pretty well. ;)

Look it over carefully.

I agree with salvage. Had an opportunity to get a 67k mile t-type. The guy was asking $4900 for it. Said he had it rebuilt, but couldn't produce reciepts and the place that built it was no longer in business. Car was in OK shape, but I passed. $4900 plus $3000 for another rebuild didn't make it such a good deal.