How much invested??

WHEEZER

How many of you guy's have sat down and figured as close and honestly as possible how much you have in your rides? Street cars only. This morning over coffee I started thinking about it and started jotting down figures just for giggles.........when I finished I wasn't giggling. I was COMPLETELY amazed. This thread is by no means for a bragging contest or such. I just hope and pray they are more like me so I wont feel quite as bad about it. The starting cost of my car, $4500, engine $4500, and paint and body $5000 is only the tip of the iceberg for me. As near as I can figure I've got VERY close double that amount in it. :eek: I surely can't be the only one.....can I??

dont feel too bad. In my '83 Hurst, I have about 12.5k into it with purchase price, motor, rear end, misc. work... still have to do trans, front suspension, and paint :eek:

I have had my GN for almost 3 years now. My third engine is being built right now. I bought the car for 6200. I have around 30,000 in it so far. Stupid. Lot of that is labor to install the first two engines. I was too busy and thought I would let someone who knows these cars put it in and do the tuning on it. This time I am having a shop built the long block and I am doing the install.

Nope your not the only one...

With the 87 Cutlass, were looking close to $11K (that's engine, tranny and rear end) and we still need to put the interior back together and do paint & body work...

The amount of money I've put into these cars is staggering. I've owned a total of 7 and still have 4. Multiple engine and trans rebuilds, not counting exhaust systems, turbos, etc. Paint on a couple, interior, stereos, etc. I think I'm gonna be sick :tongue: , but I would spend that money all over again :D !
John

jpratt said:
I have had my GN for almost 3 years now. My third engine is being built right now.
why in the world have you gone through 2 motors?

as for my car (the one in my sig.) I have over $13k & still needs $6k for the paint, & $2+k for interior. what ever you do DO NOT tell the wife!!! :eek:

TurboIndian said:
why in the world have you gone through 2 motors?
There is a builder in St Louis that goes by the name of Mike that screwed me twice. Spun a bearing and broke the crank on the first and now a lot of gold flakes in the oil pan. Havent pulled the second motor yet but the gold is not a good sign.

Whew, I feel a bit better already guy's and girls! I figured over 27k and that don't include shipping on a lot of things, nor labor on stuff I didn't do myself, nor a LOT of "small" stuff like floor mats,head gaskets,motor mounts etc etc. Still have the interior to go!! Can you say money pit??? Fact remains, I love this car.

WHEEZER said:
Whew, I feel a bit better already guy's and girls! I figured over 27k and that don't include shipping on a lot of things, nor labor on stuff I didn't do myself, nor a LOT of "small" stuff like floor mats,head gaskets,motor mounts etc etc. Still have the interior to go!! Can you say money pit??? Fact remains, I love this car.

Love and hate mine.

non-car enthusiasts will never understand why we put $$$ into our cars so I don't even bother trying to explain.

I've got about 11k into mine, including the price of the car. But thats not the end of it.

I have about $15k in mine. 207k miles on her. Looks like hell, but runs like a raped ape. I don't feel so bad having that much money in a basket case car now after reading some of these other threads. I thought my brother had a lot in his tsm car, but it sounds like a bargain compared to some of these other cars.

I haven't added up all of my receipts, but I would guesstimate, including the purchase of the car, $25K.

I really have to get around to adding all my receipts up. Then again, maybe I shouldn't. :eek:

Steve

Black Box said:
I haven't added up all of my receipts, but I would guesstimate, including the purchase of the car, $25K.

I really have to get around to adding all my receipts up. Then again, maybe I shouldn't. :eek:

Steve
If you got a weak heart I'd have someone stand by with defibrilator (shock paddles). :biggrin:

Just for fun I wonder what Jim Lauver's silver T cost? He prolly has more than mine but when you get to a semi show to show stage car the price goes high. When you could have bought a small house instead,you start to wonder. :eek:

i have put in more in the ty then it would cost to buy a gnx and a low mile gn and i still have nothing done to the panit and very little done to the interior. to bad i did not have all the cash at once or i would have gone that way.