how much hp can i get with an intercooler

JL,

Never ran 1/4 mile, just 1/8. With the new track in Charlotte, I plan to run the 1/4. I don't have any times yet as I'm still putting my car together. I just received my 3" dp from Brian, looks fantastic. I'm welding a new elbow to the manifold that will utilize the entire 2.5", not the standard 2" from spearco. Like many people stated, don't waste your time searching for a spearco. I purchased mine from Turbo city 20 years ago and there are none to be found. You can purchase front mounted coolers and fabricate the pipe yourself. The key issue is relocating the throttle body. If you leave it in the stock postion, you'll have a lot of turbo lag and the drivability really sucks. I've relocated closer to the intake and saw a 100% improvement. I will post pics of my set up in the next few weeks - stay tuned

Where is Cam Freek? I thought he was supposed to be getting on these intercoolers?

He still around at all?

I am using a 86 intake with a modded plenum. I got this idea from Mark. After missing out on the TurboMotion, I saw Mark's post and a light when of in my head. I also have a Spearco with a modded adapter. I have my throttlebody mounted in front of the adapter. I am now going to move the throttlebody to the 86 intake.

Attachments

• Accufab_plenum%2C_modified_.jpg
    Accufab_plenum%2C_modified_.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Accufab_plenum%2Cturbo%2C_intake_mockup_1.jpg
    Accufab_plenum%2Cturbo%2C_intake_mockup_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 121
  • JS Kit.jpg
    JS Kit.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 128
  • 000_0623.jpg
    000_0623.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 136
  • 86_intake_conversion_final_1.jpg
    86_intake_conversion_final_1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 124
Start with a 86-87 intake. Have the upper plenum cut to fit the turbo. If you use a ACCUFAB Plenum, you will have to radius the back halve. Drill the hole in the back for the oil return. Fab up the piping. Get a 86 intercooler and cut necks. It is really simply. If you choose to stay HOT AIR, you can fog the plenum with ALKY, NOS, PROPANE...:cool:

If you have any question, 6 TO GO (Mark) has this set up with a BWEAVY Downpipe. DAMN I wish I was going to Bowling Green:-(.

Gah, I wish I could get some people to fab these things up for me.
That's the issue, I wouldn't mind having this stuff. I just don't have the resources or capabilities to fabricate these things up myself!!

Nice stuff though man! I wish I could get something like that on mine.

This set up basically changes the HOT AIR into a Intercooled Setup. Even if you do not use a intercooler, it still out flows the HOT AIR setup. The biggest mod is the plenum. This can be easily done by any machine shop. I think I payed $25 to get the top of the plenum cut and welded. The 86 intake fits the same as the HOT AIR. The only other thing to do is drill the hole and put a grommet for the oil return. My car is int parts right now, but I have accumulated everything I needed to get it back together. I also have a 4.1 motor waiting for this mod. I have a friend of mine who is a Nitrous guy. He has sold me on the idea of using a 86 plenum spacer to spray perhaps ALKY.. Perhaps ALKY/NOS....

If you guys will ask Brian(Bweavy), I am sure he will (can) supply this
plenum if enough guys ask him. He thinks there is not enough interest
to make them, but a casting is really feasible, if there is the
demand. Chuck is right about the modification of the Accufab
plenum. Most any machine shop can do it. And any custom
exhaust shop can weld up the pipes for you.
I had a modified plenum flow checked against stock and
aftermarket pleunums and found there is no difference in
the flow. I am putting an 87 turbo on my 85 right now.
If you guys will get after Brian, he might put out the kit
with pipes, plenum and intake for you.

GREAT IDEA Mark:eek:! Brian does have the resources to get the Plenum modded. Maybe even casted? I do like the modded ACCUFAB. It looks like it would flow better. Even before I saw Mark's setup, I figured this would be the best way to go. If you check the forum, our late member BRUCE, took off his intercooler on his 86 GN. He sprayed alky in place of his intercooler. He found less restriction, fast revs and equal or more horsepower. This was a 600 hp GN. When GN decided to intercool the 86 model, they eliminate some of the restrictions. Even if you decided to stay HOT AIR, this would be a good option. Think of it this way, 86-87 parts are more available and most have converted to a 86-87 Computer anyways....

Brian has done and excellent job with the 3" Stainless Downpipe. If we keep chipping away at it, we will create a new market for 84-85 parts.

I hate that I will not be going to Bowling Green. Mark will be there, so if you go look him up... Maybe he will get a chance to run his car down the track......

Chuck, I sent you a PM.
I don't plan on racing my car, I am too stingy
to break stuff and that tranny in the 85 I know
is weak.
Brian does have the capability to both get the
casting made or get the modding done on
existing plenums.

Come on Mark... One pass, even on street tires... Just to see where you stand..... 12's???11???

12's, 11.8, we may never know. : - ))
Depends if I have a pit crew and trailer
in case I break something and who wants
to see it and how bad! : - ))
LOL

Mark
Have you ever had it at the track? I think low 12/high 11's with your current combo. Maybe a 12's on street tires would be good:D How much boost are you currently running? My BQ is about like yours. I bought a couple of CZF SS Monte trannys as backups. I currently have 204/214 cam in my car. The CZF tranny would probably be better with this cam... I also have CK Shift kit with a Billet servo. I have a re stalled D5 (2800), that I have not put in yet.

I never had the car on a track. Like I said, I never had the
money to just blow to be breaking something just for fun.
I have a killer tranny in the 84, but I have never had
the tranny open on the 85. I will start collecting parts for it
someday, hopefully before it lays down on me.
If I broke something racing, I don't think that would go
over too good with my wife. LOL

I feel you Mark.... My Ex stays in Lexington, KY. When we were together she loved my T Type. Due to our Nasty separation, I was planning to slide into KY, but the job won't currently let me take off.... But the next time I am in KY, the Drinks/BarBeque are on me.....

Let me know when you are near BG.
I'll show you my fleet. : - ))
And we'll have a BBQ, too. : -))