how much hp can i get with an intercooler

sy1322

got an 84 gn and with bigger injectors, chip, bigger fuel pump, and was thinking of going with a intercooler and electric fan, i was just wondering how much hp can i gain what should it do in the 1/4 mile, is it worth putting an intercooler.everthing is stock by the way.

How do you plan on running a IC?? look up my thread of COWL HOOD, dont hate me"

SUre you would get HP gains, From what i read up on it should get you a easy 40hp-50 maybe more.

You could also get alky, Cryo2, propane etc etc Nitrous.

Depends what you want, what are your goals for the car.

As for electric fan, I did that upgrade with a Mark 8 fan, easy mod n made the car run GREAT;)

well the electric fan part, i can do and won't have any problems. but the intercooler thing i think i can do it, i have seen some people where they clock the intercooler,and run the pipes through the drivers side, i don't see a problem, with that modification, and weld some brackets for the intercooler, to center up near the radiator, don't want the cowl hood, i just want it to look as orginal as i can, just seeing how much hp should i expect, without and major modification, thanks for your reply, and have a good night!

Glad someone made a thread for this.

The question I want to have answered is this...

Can you do this on ANY random intercooler? I have yet to get a real definitive answer for this question.

I would prefer the Spearco, sure. Just that the sucker is so difficult to get a hold of... Wondering if there is any special things that I have to do to a regular intercooler to get it to mount up and bolt into our system. Will be keeping an eye on this thread... Curious as to what the responses are here. I feel like I'm about on the same track with my own car.

???

You an get up to 70HP by adding a intercooler to a hot air car. Outside temps do affect them somewhat. I am in the process of makeing intercooler kits for our Hot Airs. I see tons of people want them and a few companys stated there were going to start making them but I have yet to see anything. My family owns a machine shop so I can make the manifold adapters and all that. Is there any interest in them from you guys on here???

Yes, I would be interested in something like that if you were capable of making it.

intercooler

Would be be interested in the whole kit or just the adapters? I ave made two kits so far. They are pretty much the same as the spearco, but does not relocate the throttle body. I am also working on one for hot airs that have the fan replaced with an electric one, pretty much the same intercooler location as the 86/87 cars but for hot air;) I am also working on dwon pipes as well:eek:

Correct me if I'm reading incorrectly..

But you have fab'd up your own intercoolers?

If so, I'd be down on the whole kit. Depending on how expensive it is too.

Your reading right!!!

Yes I fabbed up intercoolers for the hot air cars, and down pipes as well. I really am not sure about prices as of this moment, but they will be real affordable I can say that for sure:eek:

These would be bolt on kits, with detailed insturctions. I had done all of the hard work for you. I take out all the guess work. A good afternoon, and you are good to go;)

yes im interested in one of them kits, when they become available, and yes i do own a machine shop as well, and have the capabilitys to mod, these parts, and yea that is a lot of hp gain, compared to stock, curious though, can u run say, and electric fan on the intercooler too, for that extra cool air through the intercooler, or is that something that you don't need?

Thats somehting i have seen before, a fan on a IC, I say if in the engine bay sure, if FMIC.......why not 2 haha;) Or get a Cryo2 IC spray kit (or whichever) I'm gonna just need the adpators myself but if the kit is good $$$ then sure why not. :biggrin:

Been there done that.

Thats somehting i have seen before, a fan on a IC, I say if in the engine bay sure, if FMIC.......why not 2 haha;) Or get a Cryo2 IC spray kit (or whichever) I'm gonna just need the adpators myself but if the kit is good $$$ then sure why not. :biggrin:

Done that the fan on the intercooler and carbon dioide does not make a huge differance. The dyno papers already show it:eek: Beside the electric you use just to use that crap, loses power to the stuff you need like injectors:eek: . I have studied this alot as you can see. If you want just the adapters let me know what size you want the outlets to be and I will have them made. Thanks

Camfreek

If you start making these and are interesting in selling them. Let me be near the top of the list for people to sell to! I'd be more than happy to buy an intercooler kit from you. Beats hunting for months for a Spearco. And yes, if you could detail the instructions so a guy like me can do it, I'd be greatful! :)

hey camfreek, you got any pics, on that setup, just curious on how it looks and how hard to modifiy, if its bolt on, would love to buy one.:D

Pics coming soon

I will have some pics coming up here real soon. I am having my brother machine a few more adapters and he has the originals to make blueprints from.

I do have to ask. How much are you guys looking to spend on something like this?

depends on the price, like you said, well as for me if the price is right i will buy one, if not i'll just fab one, but i really like the idea of you doing this for us and appreciate, the time and effort it take to make these mods,Yes I fabbed up intercoolers for the hot air cars, and down pipes as well. I really am not sure about prices as of this moment, but they will be real affordable I can say that for sure

Still in the works

My brother is knida dragging his feet, I can't really be upset due to the fact he has plenty of other customers to deal with as well.

I am still working on it to keep the price low. I do know that the cost of the material is higher then I thought it would be, but not a big deal.

What other kind of parts would you guys like to see for hotair cars??

I will let you know I am also working a part right now to help with boost and horse power. It would be any easy bolt in for most of us and should see up to 10HP. It is for those with no intercooler though. Just thought I would throw that out there.