how much freon to use

BIGPSI

just got my motor and tranny back in and gonna convert to 134A. my sticker is gone. how many lbs does it take? thanks

Not sure but only put about 80% of 134a back in there. So if the system calls for 2lbs, put 1.8lbs of 134 back in, I believe that r134a is denser then r12 so you dont need as much, plus you run the chance of messing up the system.

Not sure but only put about 80% of 134a back in there. So if the system calls for 2lbs, put 1.8lbs of 134 back in, I believe that r134a is denser then r12 so you dont need as much, plus you run the chance of messing up the system.

Not exactly Dave. R-134 is less dense but has higher pressures. Take the total required for R-12 and multiply by .8 and .85 and average the two of them. Then charge the system and see what the pressures are. At idle it should be about the same or a little lower but off idle it will be much higher. If you've got a leak of some sort then the R-134 will escape faster so it won't cool as well.:frown:

Not exactly Dave. R-134 is less dense but has higher pressures. Take the total required for R-12 and multiply by .8 and .85 and average the two of them. Then charge the system and see what the pressures are. At idle it should be about the same or a little lower but off idle it will be much higher. If you've got a leak of some sort then the R-134 will escape faster so it won't cool as well.:frown:

ehhh half dozen in one hand, 6 in the other :eek:.

Off topic but I got my AC working Charlie, system had metal shavings in it, recharged it and added oil, blows cold sometimes, the other times its enough to make it comfortable :rolleyes:............... still better then NO AC at all :biggrin:

ehhh half dozen in one hand, 6 in the other :eek:.

Off topic but I got my AC working Charlie, system had metal shavings in it, recharged it and added oil, blows cold sometimes, the other times its enough to make it comfortable :rolleyes:............... still better then NO AC at all :biggrin:

Glad to hear it Dave. I don't use AC very much down here, even in 100 degree weather. I'm somewhat aclimated to hot because I'm in the shop so much. Cheaper that way to.:biggrin:

Glad to hear it Dave. I don't use AC very much down here, even in 100 degree weather. I'm somewhat aclimated to hot because I'm in the shop so much. Cheaper that way to.:biggrin:

F that, I'll spend the extra money to stay cool :cool:

I used the how to section at GNTTYPE site, my A/C now works again is cold with a FMIC too.R12-R134a retrofit. Only thing I changed was the drier/accumulator, I bought the four seasons unit.

Here is a link, tells you how much R134a to use too.
AC 134a Retrofit