How much does the front sway bar weight?

87we410877

Im looking to get rid of some weight for the track. how much does the front bar weight? Is it worth it to take it out? It wil be only for the track and then re-installed afterwards for street driving. Thanks.

It wouldnt be worth it for the weight savings, but it would help with the weight transfer to disconnect HTH

I removed my front bar completely and it did not do zilch at the track...1.7 - 1.8 60' with or with out it
The car is floaty and ridiculous with out it...its going back on this weekend

I removed my front bar completely and it did not do zilch at the track...1.7 - 1.8 60' with or with out it
The car is floaty and ridiculous with out it...its going back on this weekend

I did alot of reading and i think it would be safer to take out the passenger seat to get rid of weight at 130. hah. Thanks.

to answer the original question, stock sway bar weighs 22 lbs.

but with an aftermarket rear swaybar (eg HR Parts n Stuff), many report good driveability without the front swaybar (unless you are autocrossing, road racing, or taking freeway offramps at 90 mph).

Stock sway bar weights 30lbs properly set up 60's will improve period you get more initial front end travel.(weight transfer)If you are into saving weight its a combination of components not just one that will make a diffrence in weight.Oh yeah your car will probaly handle worse and will feel floaty but am i straight line guy and i don't care if it doesn't handle well around corners:biggrin:

30 lbs ??

I weighed mine at 22 lbs on a reasonably accurate bathroom scale, but not including the bushings and strut-ends. So that does bring the total up to maybe 25 lbs.

Not a huge amount, but all the little things add up. Eg,
  • Stock GN wheels (30 lbs) Vs. Alloy wheels (15-20 lbs).
  • Stock radiator (25-30 lbs) Vs Aluminum Fbody (12 lbs) radiator.
  • Stock steel bumper supports Vs. Aluminum supports.
Again, the caveat is don't delete the front sway bar, unless using an aftermarket rear swaybar of an appropriate design.

I did alot of reading and i think it would be safer to take out the passenger seat to get rid of weight at 130. hah. Thanks.

I you have a decent rear sway bar car is stable, at least mine was.
If your front suspension is worn (springs) where the front is sagging no it wont help much.

A quick tip...you can remove one of the sway bar end links and it won't work. Still have the weight but much easier than taking it off and re-installing it when going to strip.
Conrad

ps...find one of the 1LE Camaro hollow sway bars...it will save you major pounds