How much does a big TB help?

vader t

I'm considering going to a larger TB with a power plate. I just wanted to get feedback and tried and true results from real work experience. I've been thinking of replacing my stock still working original mass air sensor for a bigger LS1 and figured I should do both TB and Mass air.

This is a LITTLE engine, it's not a 454, or even a 350. It will only flow a limited VOLUME of air. The turbo inlet may be big, but the turbo is a COMRESSOR, it squeezes the inlet volume into a small package, so the little engine can digest it. You're looking a something under 500 cfm, even if you have a cam, ported heads, etc. You may have 1000 cfm into the turbo, but look at the difference in size between the turbo inlet and the turbo outlet. The small volume of dense air doesn't need a humongous throttle body to get the right flow velocity. The power plate is a good idea, though. Big throttle body won't hurt anything, it's just not the most effective use of your money.

vader t said:
I'm considering going to a larger TB with a power plate. I just wanted to get feedback and tried and true results from real work experience. I've been thinking of replacing my stock still working original mass air sensor for a bigger LS1 and figured I should do both TB and Mass air.

I didn't see any benefit, as a matter of fact went back to a 62, from a 3". I've even been thinking of going back to a stocker.

The bigger TBs feel kinda nice, since for a given amount of throttle movement, there's more air.

With a large TB, there's no real difference in 2/3 to full throttle, around town. At a sustained WOT it might matter some, on a big engine/ high boosted/ high flowing set up, but about the time you get to that stage, the car typically isn't something you drive to work day in and day out.

The LT1/LS1 MAF updates are a good update, period, IMO.