How much boost??

GNtype1

How much boost can a completely stock engine or the block it self hold safely before any modifications are done? Obviously with tuning involved

The quick answer is...How long do you want it to live?

The other quick answer is..."As much as you want as long as your fuel system (pump, pump wiring, injectors, supply/return lines, and filter) is capable of providing enough fuel and you don't ever let it detonate...ever!" We all know that is much easier said than done.

To be safe, I would say 15-16 psi with 93 octane gas and everything (plugs, wires, fuel pump, air filter, fuel filter, valve springs, timing, etc, etc, etc) right.

Conrad

lol yea im young and want to live for a while.

LOL we are all young and want to live for a while.:eek:The best advice is read and listen to some of the forums.:biggrin:Their is alot of knowledge here some good some well not as good.:rolleyes:Good luck

Kevin

stock engine can handel alot of boost prolly 30 psi on a dead perfect tune. Problem is if you have detonation at this level you will at the least be repacing head gaskets.

WELL...mine at over 100k took 25 psi all day long
BUT, that was in e-85 with big injectors and a killer Hartline tune on an xfi car
see sig
-dan

I ran 28PSI on a stock block that had 150K miles...many..many runs over a couple years...but I kept the tune on the rich side and ran pure VP C-16...never any failures...motor is still fine sitting on an engine stand...I replaced it with a built motor...

Tinman? was running 10.60's with a stock long block at 34psi I believe. I run 27-28psi on 93/alcohol in my unopened longblock car, so far so good.

cool thanks guys. Im just tryin to broaden my knowledge of these cars so that way when I finally get my own I'd have a better understanding of it.

Are these blocks aluminum (sorry for spelling) or iron?

What are the weakest point in these engines?

also what are the simplest and cheapest upgrades you can do to get some extra hp?

The block is cast iron and so are the heads, unless you have after market ones.

If you want to know the extreme see if bison (Brian) is on the board or look up some of his posts. He finally blew his up and he was running some high boost on it but I don't remember how long he's been doing it.

If memory serves...

me right, the block was rated at 525hp, and buick recommended tearing it down to inspect it often.:eek: