How many TTA's left?

I am an original owner...ummmm welll my wife was .. Damm did that car take a beating :eek:

Sverble,
I too, am an original owner of my 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am.
But, unlike other first owners, I got to test drive the mule car in November of
'88.
It was pretty funny, having owned and driving big Pontiac 455s and 400s engines (and yes, even the little Turbo 301s, as I bought one new in 1981), to get thrown back into the seat, the nose of the car lifting, and speedo needle climbing fast, and yet......................no engine noise!;)
I never laughed so hard!
I even forgot to take photos with the camera I bought!
I went right down to the dealership, tracked down the Fleet Manager, and told her I wanted the car!
Gave her a list of names (Pontiac people), had her call them, and ordered the car! She called me back, and told me that I would be very happy with my car I ordered. Told me that Pontiac (the people she called) would make sure I was taken care of-right!
I sure was, I got car number 231!
I drove 21,000 miles the first year, going to all these car shows, bringing a throphy home-almost every time. My car now has 27 throphies.
I am out of room to put them, so I stopped going to car show and entering her (my car).
As for my first car, I sold it years ago, but I do still have my very first Trans Am, a 1974 with a 455 auto setup.
As for street racing cars, I have wooped a few ZR-1s and well as some Vipers, including a 500 horsepower one!
I'm not a expert driver, but it's great to know that there are worst drivers driving other cars!

George:cool:

Curious, is anyone out there an original owner? I'm happy to say that I'm the original first owner of my TTA. I've put a tire peeling 34,000 miles on it since I got it when I was 17. Dad was a dealer, so I got to pick on that years baddest GM car. Still glad I didn't wait for a ZR1. Since those days I've nailed a few ZR1 vettes. They were fast on top, but never hung in a drag race.
It's been fun, I can't imagine trading it or selling it. Though I would trade for a low mile F40, that's the only car I think would be as much fun.

Dido on the F40! My first Car was an '83 Daytona Pace car edition T/A Picked it up Jan. 14 1989, 7mon. before I turned 16. Parents couldn't stand that I had a collectible T/A so my mom went out in April and got the last TTA in the Rochester area(almost missed it) It was thier 3rd T/A, '85 & '86 before that. They got sick of it by '91 and stored it untill '94. I sold the '83:( and baugt the TTA from them for $5k and still have it with 57008 mi on it:cool:

I remember those 83 Daytona Pace cars, were they not White and black? I thought they were pretty cool, I also like the blue and white 15th anniv. Id like to have one of those as well as all of the other anniversary TA cars.

Sverble,
I too, am an original owner of my 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am.
But, unlike other first owners, I got to test drive the mule car in November of
'88.
It was pretty funny, having owned and driving big Pontiac 455s and 400s engines (and yes, even the little Turbo 301s, as I bought one new in 1981), to get thrown back into the seat, the nose of the car lifting, and speedo needle climbing fast, and yet......................no engine noise!;)
I never laughed so hard!
I even forgot to take photos with the camera I bought!
I went right down to the dealership, tracked down the Fleet Manager, and told her I wanted the car!
Gave her a list of names (Pontiac people), had her call them, and ordered the car! She called me back, and told me that I would be very happy with my car I ordered. Told me that Pontiac (the people she called) would make sure I was taken care of-right!
I sure was, I got car number 231!
I drove 21,000 miles the first year, going to all these car shows, bringing a throphy home-almost every time. My car now has 27 throphies.
I am out of room to put them, so I stopped going to car show and entering her (my car).
As for my first car, I sold it years ago, but I do still have my very first Trans Am, a 1974 with a 455 auto setup.
As for street racing cars, I have wooped a few ZR-1s and well as some Vipers, including a 500 horsepower one!
I'm not a expert driver, but it's great to know that there are worst drivers driving other cars!

Hey,

What's up George! Thanks for referring me to the site.

I don't have a TTA (yet)....but I've owned many...many other TA's. I've seen you're TTA many times....but you've gotta give me a ride when I pass through in December :biggrin:

Ha!
No problem Mike!
Nice to see you over here!
Now, to talk you into getting one of these babies.:D

Ha!
No problem Mike!
Nice to see you over here!
Now, to talk you into getting one of these babies.:D

I'll gladly get one as soon as you help me pay for it :D

As soon as I get my garage built and a few things in order....I'm definitely going to be in the market :cool:

It is sad that so few of these cars are actually left. I looked at buying one here locally (that originally came from Chicago....or so I was told). It was a rust bucket and looked like it was probably even a flood damaged car. Even the K-member was almost rusted through (not surface rust....rusted through). There was rust inside the center console and all the frame of the seats. EVERYTHING was rusted!

These car are one of the few shining examples of GM letting Pontiac do something with their cars. But that is another story and another rant for another thread :biggrin:

It is sad that so few of these cars are actually left. I looked at buying one here locally (that originally came from Chicago....or so I was told). It was a rust bucket and looked like it was probably even a flood damaged car. Even the K-member was almost rusted through (not surface rust....rusted through). There was rust inside the center console and all the frame of the seats. EVERYTHING was rusted!

This one?
Rusty TTA

You know thinking back, I've seen some beat up TTA's but never a rusty one. To bad any car has rust.

Jason

wow! :eek: I would fall over if I saw a TTA rolling down the highway in the snow! Talk about a horrible car for snow! :D

wow! :eek: I would fall over if I saw a TTA rolling down the highway in the snow! Talk about a horrible car for snow! :D

I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life and many of my daily-drivers were thirdgen Fbodies. Looking back, it wasn't that bad in the winters. I never used snow tires either, just lots of weight in the hatch. But at the same time, there's no way I'd want to go through that again. Thank god for AWD and snow tires. Chicago can be inconsistent with the amount of snow we get, but it's always cold. I'd never subject my TTA to that. I didn't even drive it this summer.

hahahahahaha...Wife bought one new as a driver and a racer for me .... put reg 15" rims and tires on the front and snow tires on the rear and 50#s of nails in the back (hey I was a builder and kegs of nails was all I had ) :eek: Car was awesome !!! only problem was the intercooler scoop :eek: that lasted for about 1 snowstorm .. then went to the Buick one ... now have someone get me some good $$$$ and Ill sell my 10,508 mile TTA as a roller :p

hahahahahaha...Wife bought one new as a driver and a racer for me .... put reg 15" rims and tires on the front and snow tires on the rear and 50#s of nails in the back (hey I was a builder and kegs of nails was all I had ) :eek: Car was awesome !!! only problem was the intercooler scoop :eek: that lasted for about 1 snowstorm .. then went to the Buick one ... now have someone get me some good $$$$ and Ill sell my 10,508 mile TTA as a roller :p

I got caught (unintentionally) in my '02 WS6 Vert in the worst snowstorm I've ever seen here. TCS was worthless....actually it made things worse. Haven't had any of my 3rd gens in snow....but I can imagine the cars handle about the same.

Well, at least there's one TTA that looks worse then mine now...

Not that my car is rust-free, I have a few spots on the hood (leading edge by passenger headlight) and the passenger A-pillar has some bubbling. Oh, and the front clip paint is garbage.

Here's my rust-bucket... Damages outlined in faint red lines (had to shrink the image to allow uploads)

Attachments

• My 89TTA damages small.JPG
    My 89TTA damages small.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 117
I've wondered how many might still be out there. I know of one (mine) with 1,210 miles on the ticker. It's #1130 ... And yes, I do think I'm registered on the TTA registry.

Mike M