How many people use their GN as a daily driver?

NitrousMan

I'm picking up a 86 GN this weekend and I plan on using it for my daily driver except when there's snow on the ground. Have you guys found them to be pretty reliable for daily use? I'm tired of driver a beater every day so I think this make for a better ride to work. It turns mid 11's in the 1/4 which is great but I just don't want something that's going to be tempermental. The car has 48,000 original miles on it and the shortblock is stock. I was just curious if a lot of people drive them every day. Thanks.

Just make sure you park it in a secure location. DD's have a habit of disappearing.

Jolly Roger

Yeah, what rhunt said!

I drove my '86 as a daily driver the whole time I had it. Right up until the day it was stolen from a grocery store parking lot!

DOH!!

I drive mine everyday. I only put about 76 miles a week on it, but it does get driven everyday. The only time it gets taken out of town is to the track which is about 36 miles away. She has over 130,000 miles and the original short block--except for the cam/timing chain. Never let me down.

my 87 GN was a daily driver too till someone decided they needed it more than I did (1 month and 24 days after I got it :( )... at least they left me the rotting shell and blown engine....

Drive mine at least every other day weather permitting. The only caution I can give is let it run for about a minute or two before playing with the boost, and let it idle down for a minute or two before you shut it off.

I too spend most of my time working on my car instead of driving, but the time I spend driving is worth every second of work.

Having bought the car to be a DD, I can tell you based on experience this is not a good idea unless you have very short commutes.

These cars are 17 years old regardless of the miles. The more you drive it, the more maintenance time and money it will require. If you have both, go for it. My personal opinion is that these cars are too fun to beat on and sit in traffic with. I'd keep the GN for weekends and drive a beater to work. My two cents.

All that aside, a low mileage TR should be fairly reliable...for a 17 year old car...:p

Drive mine everyday. 30 mile round commute to and from work.
114,000 original miles. Stock, original turbo, engine, timing chain,
etc. I get 17 mpg. But then there are 10 stop signs between
home and work. If I only could keep my foot out of it. I'd say go
for it! Good luck!

Brian

daily driven by a college student. need i say more. I drive it everyday...although its been down for a bit as I am doing the trans, but this is the first time its been down for more than a couple of hours in the past 8 or so months since i got it. And it wasnt down for but like two or three other things...exhaust leak fixing, weatherstripping, "spring cleaning", etc... 60000 miles, only prob is the weatherstripping(ttop)...ongoing battle. Oh, and it didnt drive too well while I was fighting blindly(no scantool) to figure out why my car was running so bad...1 maf later it was a great driver again. They make great daily drivers....there was a guy here, he moved to Austin or something like that, that daily drove his 87 that pull 11.3 here.

My car is also a daily driver, it currently has 135,000 on it and runs excellent, no problems what so ever. It will be getting painted this Thursday, so I may opt to drive it a little less to keep it looking good :cool:

Otherwise, just pay special attention to her and she'll do you right;)

Ray

I used to have my 86 GN as the DD until an 18 wheeler occupied the same space on the highway as me. My 86 T was the DD before it, but it was a rust bucket with peeling paint. I wasn't too worried about it. The 87 GN was a DD for many years until I started the restoration process about 2 years ago. Never had a problem with any of the cars being broken into or stolen, but my office is gated and the cars were garaged at the house. I will not use a turbo car as a daily driver again due to inconsiderate drivers.

Got mine last summer as ym daily driver with 148k on it. it now has 171 k on it and it has only been of the road for three days total in that year due to a faulty ign module. i drive it about 400 miles a week and i love every second of it. its not too bad on gas, its comfortable, and its just an overall nice and fun car to drivre everyday. i highly recommend it.

My car was a partial daily driver before I moved here. I wouldn't drive it in snow, but rain wouldn't stop me from driving the car some times.

Yes, my car spent it's share of time down. Some for maint. Some for repair. Some for upgrade. But overall, the car still did well as a DD.

That morning drive to work used to be such a blast. At first I only lived about 10 miles from my work and driving was a quick burst of boost. But then I moved 45 minutes from my work and some morning had a stretch of clear highway with all the traffic going the other direction. If I was late, I'd open her up and come to work on time and happy. Plus at the end of the crappy day, that boost would quickly sooth the nerves.

Still, I've been out in rain and even snow on a few occasions and as long as due care was taken, it would get me home in one piece.

Mine has been a daily driver since new...Currently has 165,000 miles on stock engine....intake has never been off...tranny seems to be the weakest part....very reliable car, as long as you drive it normally, and not too crazy...Get rid of the powermaster, and convert to vacuum brakes,,,,and leave the wiring alone...

Everyday I work I drive my TR.....Though I have not even put 3,000 miles on it since I got it almost 6 months ago...only live like 2 miles from work.

Drove my 86 T-type 51K miles in just under 3 yrs, never stranded me once.........loved it........miss it.........