how many are left?

87lightweight

with all the 87 gn's being stolen, wrecked, parted out, left to rot, i wonder how many are actually left out there?

Plenty. They aren't endangered yet. People need to stop parting them out and start restoring, though.

I would think the number is starting to get lower than most would think, especially decent ones. With that said, I think the nice low mile ones or the ones that were really taken care of are gonna get real diffcult to locate.

I live and work in Nashville for the past 9 years. I've seen 1 GN that whole time.:eek: There probably some around here, I guess they just never get driven. I don't see them until Bowling Green in May.:)

57b0_1[1].jpg :frown:

Plenty. They aren't endangered yet. People need to stop parting them out and start restoring, though.

Hmmm.........With the prices on these parts SOOOOO high, these cars are being parted at a record pace. I think there's a whole LOT less 86-87 GN's then you may think out there. I don't know about you, but even in the peak driving season (last summer), I can count on one hand how many T-Types I've seen and probably about the same amount of GN's. Lets face it. These cars rot faster then your average 70's Datsun. It's easier, and cheaper to part em out!

Ken B.

15,000 is a lot of cars for 1987, assuming a quarter are gone.

And I consider rotting ones drivers so to me they are equally if not more important than garage queens. :p

-1 ;)

I could post some pics but will not.

Been thru over 400 of these cars & have 100 here now. Take better care of them & they will not get parted out.
We do sell about 8-10 Regal rust free shells a year on average to save rotted bodies. I have an 86 T here now. Customer bought it from us & brought it back down to get finished. 41K mile body was an excellent donor to keep another turbo car on the road.
We have been saving alot more cars lately. Ones we wouldn't think about parting out 4 years ago we are putting back together.
Nothing nicer then yanking a GN drive trane out of an OLDS & putting it back into a Buick where it belongs :cool:

The picture posted:
That is by some one who doesn't care about the cars. Just a quick buck. If he cared he would have stripped them down & saved everything possible.

What would the values be like if they didnt make so many 87s? Wondering, if they would have made 4-5000 in 87 if the values would be higher due to even lower production numbers?

What would the values be like if they didnt make so many 87s? Wondering, if they would have made 4-5000 in 87 if the values would be higher due to even lower production numbers?

Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes low production numbers work against resale - fewer people owned or coveted them. Example - Chevy muscle was often produced in high numbers, but also often enjoys high resale.

Well you don't see a lot of 20 year old cars on the road regardless, so saying you only see another turbo Regal once or twice a year isn't saying much. I agree, I hardly see them on the road, but they're out there. Each July 4th there is a local car show featuring the Buick club and there are at least 30 that show up... I don't see them driving on the roads the rest of the year.

At least at this point, anyone who wants to buy one can search classifieds and websites and locate a car in their price range and desired condition fairly easily. Obviously that will get harder over time. But right now it seems like there is a fair amount.

Hmmmmmm

Here is one about to be saved! Hopefully the frame and body will be apart by the end of the weekend. Only about ten weeks till BG :eek:

oh yeah, the wife loves the new artwork on the garage floor!

Attachments

• DSC01234edit.JPG
    DSC01234edit.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01285.JPG
    DSC01285.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 201
Kirban seems to think that there's only like 7,000 left that are in good shape and untouched/stock. That seems pretty right to me since the only ones I really see are either totally crapped out or kept really nice but not stock any more. It seems like it's getting harder to find a nice stock car, but they are out there for sure.

Considering our paint was checking and oxidizing while sitting on the showroom floors I'm surprised there is as many nice ones as there are. Plus the T-top option was so popular at the time and they were not the most leak proof t-top ever made.

T-Top--the floorpan killer!

Considering our paint was checking and oxidizing while sitting on the showroom floors I'm surprised there is as many nice ones as there are. Plus the T-top option was so popular at the time and they were not the most leak proof t-top ever made.

Take a look, driver's side with leak passenger without. Notice the difference :rolleyes: Oh yeah, this was advertised on Ebay as "mint condition".

Attachments

• DSC01304edit.JPG
    DSC01304edit.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC01314edit.JPG
    DSC01314edit.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 139
Not to get way off the subject, but I sometimes wonder about the future of our cars from a parts availability standpoint. There have been some pretty important sensors discontinued over the past couple of years, and it will only get worse over time. With a relatively limited number of these cars produced or still on the road, will the aftermarket step up and fill the void regarding some of the discontinued parts? For those who only drive their cars a thousand miles a year, that may not be much of a concern, but if you drive your car alot, every mile is taking it's toll on parts that you may not be able to replace. Okay, I'm depressing myself big time. Someone chime in and snap me out of this.

Not to get way off the subject, but I sometimes wonder about the future of our cars from a parts availability standpoint. There have been some pretty important sensors discontinued over the past couple of years, and it will only get worse over time. With a relatively limited number of these cars produced or still on the road, will the aftermarket step up and fill the void regarding some of the discontinued parts? For those who only drive their cars a thousand miles a year, that may not be much of a concern, but if you drive your car alot, every mile is taking it's toll on parts that you may not be able to replace. Okay, I'm depressing myself big time. Someone chime in and snap me out of this.

If the 50 Tucker owners can keep their cars on the road, surely we can keep ours on the road too. :D

**But I have a duplicate for most of our sensors, and honestly, most of them have aftermarket replacements, work arounds, or aren't that uncommon......most. :eek:

Well you don't see a lot of 20 year old cars on the road regardless, so saying you only see another turbo Regal once or twice a year isn't saying much. I agree, I hardly see them on the road, but they're out there. Each July 4th there is a local car show featuring the Buick club and there are at least 30 that show up... I don't see them driving on the roads the rest of the year.

Haven't seen 30 TR's in one spot EVER!! LOL, you don't see a lot of (regular) 20 year old cars on the road due to accidents/rust/theft and just plain ole quality issue's of MOST 80's cars. Same holds true for TR"s. EXCEPT a LARGE portion of these cars were parted BEFORE the values started to skyrocket on em. Now most people are 'rethinking' parting them out and restoring them as values continue to rise. I think the Kirban number is a lil low, but I don't think 30-40% attrition isn't out of the question. These cars were driven HARD! That leaves about 13,000 or so 87 GN's out there IMO. Certainly not a big number for a 21 year old car!!:eek:

Ken B.