how loud would my Buick be with open down pipe..streetable?

I had a turbo C5 corvette that I just ran open dp. It was loud but not bad at all. I don't think it would be terrible on our cars either. Just smell bad.

I leave my cutout open just to hear the turbo whine. It's music to my ears! How old are all you guys??

I think there may be a difference in how the sound resinates in the cabin between the TTA body and GN body. I've driven a GN that had a loud exhaust and was more annoyed than my TTA with no exhaust.

I have driven the TTA with open dump. I like the sound for a car cruize in town but don't like it on the highway. MONTE87LS, I'd recommend trying your new cutoff exhaust before selling your old system.

my $.02

I know my Monte with open headers was heard for miles, but with a turbo car I know the turbo qiets the car down alot, and my nabor drives his Cyclone with his cutout open on the road and swears its not loud at all, Ive heard his Cyclone in the nabor driving 20mph down our street and its really not loud but on the highway going 50mph how much louder would she get...Since I could use the extra cash for my 87 T-Type Im thinking about selling my exhaust ,it has 3 inch high flow catalytic converter, 3 inch stainless dual exhaust from Bowling Green Customs, it exits on the side behind the back tire.....then I would just have my buddy flare the end of a 3" pipe to slide onto the down pipe and bend the other end so it dumps down, it would be a 3 foot long 3 inch pipe dumped pretty much with no muffler or cat, I would just clamp it on and be done, but would that be too loud on the street, she's going to be my daily driver

Simple solution--simply contact your "nabor", and:

1) Have him blow by your place (of choice) @ 50-55 mph (or around a good resonant frequency of 1800'ish rpm) & you judge for yourself, and then

2) Ride inside with him @ similar rpm/ speed conditions & see how that sounds to you,,,

Then you're done, specific research complete, good luck!

Me too. Electric cutout is the way to go. Closed for the trip to the store, opened in a second for a quick blast back home.

+1 for the electric cut out. When the National Street Rods came to town, I had to open the exhaust just to hear my car. My sons and I liked it so much that I decided to buy a 3" test pipe with a cut out and order the electric cut out. That was 2 weeks ago, my electric cut out will be here tomorrow. That way I can adjust the sound for what ever mood I'm in. Face it sometimes we are mellow and sometime we want to stir up the pot.

Chuck

Where do you find the electric cutouts and about how much would they set me back guys? I know there are alot out there so whats a good one? Do they tend to leak? Starting to sound pretty good after all this time of getting under the car with a wrench

Mine does not leak, be sure not to hold switch to long and over torque it. As long as the flap is not bent its good. I love this thing. By the way, It helps with state inspections, I leave it half open for my emissions test, works well!!;) ;)

Mine does not leak, be sure not to hold switch to long and over torque it. As long as the flap is not bent its good. I love this thing. By the way, It helps with state inspections, I leave it half open for my emissions test, works well!!;) ;)

Are you kidding me?:eek: Are the state inspectors in your area that sloppy that they don't even look underneath the car and notice that half of your exhaust is coming out pre-cat? :confused: We don't have inspections here in Michigan but I guess it doesn't matter if you cat get away with anything. In some states I've heard it is illegal to even have a cutout installed on your emissions legal car for fear that you'll open it and pollute. Maybe you need to casually hand the inspector a $50 as you're opening the cutout.:wink:

Where I live, local repair shops perform the inspections. Older cars and vintage cars only get safety inspections, since my TTA is an 89 I must pass emmisions.

Where I live, local repair shops perform the inspections. Older cars and vintage cars only get safety inspections, since my TTA is an 89 I must pass emmisions.

I think you missed 1 quik6's point--not necessarily dependent upon whether the State itself or a State-Certified Inspection Station is performing the emissions testing--but with it being "outside of conformance..."

Using a band clamp instead of the conventional muffler clamp allows one to switch the "test" pipe out and put the converter back in it's place very easy. That's what I will do for inspection.... I mean after I'm done "testing".

Chuck

Well I just drove a 100 mile round trip with the test pipe open. I must say, once I was there the open pipe was very attention getting. The drive there was a little annoying. I vote for electric cutout. I do not have, but I will be getting. I have duel 3 inch system anyway and the "turbo whistle" was AWESOME. Not a Mustang to be heard from.
I tried this after finding this thread.

Happy 4th of July.
Coach

This is a buddy of mines car..i think this was through the d/p. You get thte idea..
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsR3VnBDZvg[/YOUTUBE]

If my car had a nice 3" stainless system the last thing I would do is take it off. Especially for a DD. Mine has a dump with a bolt on cap, which helps a bit with the original exhaust's restriction, but if I had a nice 3" system like that I wouldn't even bother with a dump. I'm sure you can scare up some cash without selling it.

I drive mine everyday with an open 3 inch dp. Not too loud for me, of course im only 19. I have been driving it for a year like that no trouble from cops.

Electric Cut out on 3" dump pipe

I've had mine installed about a week now, I really like it. Love to hear the turbo whistle, driving normal (no boost) also like the sound of the car accelerating into mild boost, really fun. I also noticed that I listen to the radio a lot less now... probably just temporary untill the honeymoon is over...

Chuck