How long will this turbo manifold last

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
I understand Stainless will last longer,and i have planes to build my manifolds out of stainless But Weld "T's",the only problem is then my log style will be 1.5" ---where as this is about 2" on the log,which will flow much better 1st pics is 1.5" T's and the second is what i would rather do,but wont be stainless..whats your thoughts...

Attachments

• log header.jpg
    log header.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,786
  • k b racing manifold turbo.jpg
    k b racing manifold turbo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,553
those log manifolds look like they suffer from alot of thermal loading. which could cause alot stress , and what i see in the pics they`ll probably crack.

Comes closer to being a workable system, than the top pics..
If you are planning to use the O2 bung for a wb, it's too close to the turbo...Too much heat, too much psi...

We have seen both work. The issue is back pressure. The second is a little better design. It doesn't have to be a crossover style.... The biggest issue with steel or iron logs is rust and turbine damage.

The biggest issue with steel or iron logs is rust and turbine damage.

Never thought about that, Good point!

The biggest issue with steel or iron logs is rust and turbine damage.

Never thought about that, Good point!

Jet hot2000 and swain tech are good insurance,and you only need to do the passengers side since its steel pipe;)

You don't want to coat the insides. Most coating will shed off in the heat and damage the turbine. Best idea with steel exhaust is drive is a lot and keep it from rusting. lol

heared about people using antiseise or coppergrease to goat bare metal headers
it will smoke a LOT when it gets hot the first few times but the resideu that remains after a few coats and heat cycles is pretty durable and doesnt peel or rub off

I understand Stainless will last longer,and i have planes to build my manifolds out of stainless But Weld "T's",the only problem is then my log style will be 1.5" ---where as this is about 2" on the log,which will flow much better 1st pics is 1.5" T's and the second is what i would rather do,but wont be stainless..whats your thoughts...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but both designs look kind of "amateur" in construction. I would scrap them both and go with something with real primaries and a collector.

You most certainly can't use the O2 bung. Under pressure the O2 molecules are closer together and you will get severe false readings.....along with way too much heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the topic is from 2011

true that these headers arent the best but using weldpipe can make a working setup or verry little cash and make it look nice with little welding experiance
it would be a nice setup for someone starting intoo turbocharging in general
these setups dont seem to crack that fast comparened to welded together collectors made from stainles bend pipe actually and if they do they can even be stickwelded if need be
not a lot of people can weld a true 4 intoo one collector on an exaust setup or have the weldingskills to have it stay together after a few red hot heatcycles

Last edited:
the topic is from 2011

true that these headers arent the best but using weldpipe can make a working setup or verry little cash and make it look nice with little welding experiance
it would be a nice setup for someone starting intoo turbocharging in general
these setups dont seem to crack that fast comparened to welded together collectors made from stainles bend pipe actually and if they do they can even be stickwelded if need be
not a lot of people can weld a true 4 intoo one collector on an exaust setup or have the weldingskills to have it stay together after a few red hot heatcycles

2011. Oh, I see.

You are correct. It is cheaper and easier to do it this way.

While it's dug up I'll post in it.we run a schedule 40 steampipe log manifold welded with a cheap gasless mig it's lasted five years without cracking.but as mentioned it does loose layers of steel inside as scaley flakey layers over the years.one turbo we've run for 4 years has slightly rough ends of the turbine fins weather it's scale or just heat erosion on the cheap Chinese wheel I don't know.manifolds done hundreds of 11 second passes and a couple of tens last outing exceeded our expectations being a log style that doesn't look flash lol

20kdl5x.jpg
it's on the wrong side of the engine Bay right hand drive car and it's 88 LN3/L27 Buick like fwd lesabre of the same year.not flash but gets it done better than expected.other manifold is a cast iron jobby