How long is long enough???

that guy

How long would you wait on getting an engine rebuilt? Long story short I took my engine out of my 87 GN back in october. I took it to a very reputable builder on Nov 1st last year. The short block isn't even finished yet???

In the builder's defense he told me it would take over a month upfront. I know this is the busiest season for builders as well, but my patience is running thin. Everyone says he does great work. I don't want to drag his name thru the mud so I am not going to mention it in this forum.

I am afraid if I go to get my stuff I wont get it all back as he may have it scattered throughout his shop. I wouldn't even know what was missing. This is my first GN, I am an old Ford guy. I put a large deposit down on the rebuild and I am not sure if he has done that much work yet. He is extremely hard to get a hold of. He doesn't answer the phone, rarely responds to emails and its over 3 hours away to his shop, so I can't just drive there anytime I want. What would you do in my situation?

if it was webber racing -that motor would have been done inside 36 days
i hate mother****ers like this

id kick your builder in the nutz and go get your **** back.
his reputation and great work dont mean anything if your being ****ed over.
camp out at his house get your money -

follow him home get your money

get your parts get your money and tell everyone what a dick this guy is so we will not use him- then maybe he will be a little less busy and remember your and other peoples deposits.

Go get your motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are all kinds of competent engine builders out there that DONT D-CK people around and get the job done and no excuses.Been there done that.........

It sounds like the same guy doing the electrical work on my T-type:eek:

Anyways, this guy could be waiting on some machine work like mentioned above. I'm in a small town and there is around a 2-4 week wait at our shops. I can only imagine what a larger city would be like.

a compatent machine shop has all the machines ,they dont wait on them.
any reason( like racing season :rolleyes: ) to make anyone wait over 2 months on a short block,- is bull-
they dont have your interest at hand-****-em find someone else

a compatent machine shop has all the machines ,they dont wait on them.
any reason( like racing season :rolleyes: ) to make anyone wait over 2 months on a short block,- is bull-
they dont have your interest at hand-****-em find someone else
x2

Some builders are just that busy and it worth the wait. Just depends on who it is IMO. Have you asked why it is taken so long. Maybe a back order on parts or something..........

I am really hesitant to switch builders in the middle of the build. Fear of losing stuff and getting ripped off. I spoke with him about my frustration in this situation a while back and to his defense he did offer to take everything to another builder that he has dealt with in the past. I have asked acquaintenances about who does the best work and everone says this guy. I don't have any people I would call friends that know anything about TRs.

The machine work is/was finished mid Dec. Since then only small things have been done. To my understanding the short block is ready to be put together, the block has been prepped but it hasn't been done yet. Heads have been completed but nothing else to my knowledge is done.

I think(feel or specualte) the dragging of the feet can be attributed to lack of $$ going to be made. I purchased everything for the rebuild on my own. I already had most of the stuff for the rebuild prior to taking it all to him. I understand builders make a lil money on everything they buy for the rebuild, thats just the business. I purchased a complete forged rotating assembly, champion heads, champion intake, RJC pullies, girdle, roller cam setup, injectors. It has all taken me a while to accumulate the money for the parts. Now that I have it all and I am ready to get the car back on the road it is aggravating.

I have had pm's asking for the builder's name. Until this build is done and over with I am not gonna put it out there. For all I know there could be some extenuating circumstances with the guy that is holding him up. I don't know as I can't ever get in contact with him. If the build goes bad I might divulge the builder's name.

Sorry for venting to you guys like this, just wanted to get other's take on the situation. When you plan for a long time, save and budget for over a year, finally get everything you need and the only thing you are waiting on is work that isn't happening it really aggravates me.

As far as asking him what is taking soo long. Been told several things which could very well be true for all I know. Waiting on Cometics, doing cost comparison on what would save me the most money when it comes to valvetrain components. Intake still at the machine shop. Balancing rods and pistions is taking longer than expected. Now that is all completed. Still no shortblock.

I am really hesitant to switch builders in the middle of the build. Fear of losing stuff and getting ripped off. I spoke with him about my frustration in this situation a while back and to his defense he did offer to take everything to another builder that he has dealt with in the past. I have asked acquaintenances about who does the best work and everone says this guy. I don't have any people I would call friends that know anything about TRs.

The machine work is/was finished mid Dec. Since then only small things have been done. To my understanding the short block is ready to be put together, the block has been prepped but it hasn't been done yet. Heads have been completed but nothing else to my knowledge is done.

I think(feel or specualte) the dragging of the feet can be attributed to lack of $$ going to be made. I purchased everything for the rebuild on my own. I already had most of the stuff for the rebuild prior to taking it all to him. I understand builders make a lil money on everything they buy for the rebuild, thats just the business. I purchased a complete forged rotating assembly, champion heads, champion intake, RJC pullies, girdle, roller cam setup, injectors. It has all taken me a while to accumulate the money for the parts. Now that I have it all and I am ready to get the car back on the road it is aggravating.

I have had pm's asking for the builder's name. Until this build is done and over with I am not gonna put it out there. For all I know there could be some extenuating circumstances with the guy that is holding him up. I don't know as I can't ever get in contact with him. If the build goes bad I might divulge the builder's name.

Sorry for venting to you guys like this, just wanted to get other's take on the situation. When you plan for a long time, save and budget for over a year, finally get everything you need and the only thing you are waiting on is work that isn't happening it really aggravates me.

As far as asking him what is taking soo long. Been told several things which could very well be true for all I know. Waiting on Cometics, doing cost comparison on what would save me the most money when it comes to valvetrain components. Intake still at the machine shop. Balancing rods and pistions is taking longer than expected. Now that is all completed. Still no shortblock.

Trust me when I say I understand to some degree. My car has been in the shop for almost 3 months having electrical work done to it. The guy doing the work is the best guy in town. I was actually on my way to the shop to pick up my car when the guy started working on it. I had giving up and was about to ship it out of town. I had been trying to talk to the guy forever but just couldn't. A few days after he started on the car, I had heard his wife isn't doing so well and there isn't anything anyone can do to help. So I can see why it was hard to catch this guy. I'm not saying this is the case with your shop but you never know. I would keep trying to contact this guy or someone in charge. And yes, I would make a trip to his shop dispite the fact it's 3 hours away if it ment I could talk to somoene. Now if you do make a trip to talk to him, I would make sure I had something I could haul a motor with. You never know, people lose tempers over the smallest things.

Best of luck.

sorry sgrim,
unless you dont age or have bills to pay and have any money going out of the bank:

ITS NEVER worth the wait

find someone else like a sponser of the board

sorry sgrim,
unless you dont age or have bills to pay and have any money going out of the bank:

ITS NEVER worth the wait

find someone else like a sponser of the board

Waiting does suck. But I would rather wait a few months for a quality job than one that is going to grenade. Then your money and time is out the window.

I agree 100% on the supporting vendor thing though:biggrin:

its like this on the wait issue- no excuses-
if they dont tell you up front- you tell them-your paying for it

have you ever heard there is always someone faster, better, quicker,smarter, ect?

ITS TRUE
you just need to find that person/ business
and pay them