How long do you figure race fuel stays good?

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
I think I bought 10 gallons of torco 110 that had gone bad. Just got done pumping it out of the tank. Question is if the fuel is stored in plastic 5 gallon fuel jugs, how long will it stay good?

I do not know about the shelf life of Torco 110, but I use Sunoco 110 in one of my cars and even after 2 years it is still good. :)

Generally you can tell when race fuel has lost octane when the original color has changed.

Thanks for the response Nick. Do you keep your fuel stored in a sealed drum or something else?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You will get a longer "self life" if you store your fuel I metal containers with good seals. Not plastic.
Dave
1987 GN
NHRA stock eliminator

I buy VP Racing Fuel (110) in 50(?) gal. drums from Lebanon Valley Dragway. I was told the fuel would be good for at least 3 yrs. as long as I seal the drum tight after each use.. I go through a couple a year so it never gets that old.

Not sure about 5 gal. plastic or metal containers. Keep it in a cool place and seal it tight.

And use it!! :)

I'm not sure how the shop I bought it from had it stored but Im pretty sure i bought some spoiled stuff......mixed 4 gallons of it with 4 gallons of 91 and the car saw 7 degrees of knock on pump gas tune that is very conservative. The stuff didn't even smell like race fuel. No matter though I pumped it all out of the tank and will only buy from sealed pails or drums. Thanks for the replies

I put Stabil in my VP C16 as soon as I buy it. I have no idea if it helps, but gas in my boats and generator stays good for a year and then some.

Just picked up some 112 torco not sure if 65 bux is good or not

The 114 was 75
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1390002619.945209.jpg

Hawaii. Last I checked 100 unleaded was something like $16 or $19 a gallon here.

^^^ what he said! VP actually uses a coating in their drums. Sealed tight, cool dark storage- heat and sunlight are the biggest enemies of race fuel.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried an unleaded oxygenated fuel? Like VP U4, or U4M? Only 92 octane in U4, but almost 2.5% oxygen. Made 3 more horsepower on the dyno on a Honda crf450, stock engine. Only drawback with U4, you can't leave it in the tank- its corrosive. You have to chase it with normal fuel. The U4M was formulated to solve that problem-

I haven't , the crf 450 is almost 13:1 compression isn't it? I thought sanctioning was the reason mxers use oxygenated fuels?

I don't think u4 is AMA legal. We used it in WERA when I was road racing- I did see it eat a fuel pump when it didn't get pumped out. My ZX6 was 13.3:1, shifted at 16,200-

My brother works at a VP fuel dealer. I was buying Q16 in 55's, get storage drums for free. Too bad I switched to E85. Saving $14/gal.