How is the cost of Living in Florida

J Speak

I am thinking of relocating to the orlando or tampa area. I am just curious how the construction market is down there. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Justin

I thought everyone in Michigan and Ohio was already down here? j/k. I like it down here. Figure in buying a boat/trailer to your cost of living, otherwise, you might as well just move to Cali to get away from the cold if you aren't gonna go boating/fishing. Course, I'm a native Sarasotan, so is my mother and my grandmother has been here since the 1920's.

Houses are really high and good luck on home insurance (hurricanes). The wages paid are low compared to those in the new england or california areas. But once you're settled in it's not bad. A lot of northeners come down because they make a lot more money up there and can afford a house here. No state income tax, no vehicle tax every year, and between 6-7 % sales tax depending which county you live in. And if youre in the construction business you should always have work. I agree with z06 you should get a boat and explore the waterways there's a lot more to Florida than the tourist attractions.

You don't wanna come down here. The hookers are very expensive. LOL. Seriously, if you stay north of Orlando, like towards the small towns just outside of Gainesville, you will not be disappointed. Real estate is still reasonable there. Once you get to Orlando and south of there, it is ridiculous.

gnx139 said:
Seriously, if you stay north of Orlando, like towards the small towns just outside of Gainesville, you will not be disappointed. Real estate is still reasonable there. Once you get to Orlando and south of there, it is ridiculous.

Ditto.. :cool:

Stay away from S. Florida..the prices for homes and the people actually paying for them are insane! :eek: :eek: Orlando north is the place to be for cheaper homes and most of the best tracks within hour or two of you..Jobs and pay is hit or miss depending on what you do for a living.

blackshoebox said:
Ditto.. :cool:

Stay away from S. Florida..the prices for homes and the people actually paying for them are insane!

That's true. Water front is stupid expensive now. My parents bought the lot next door for 80K in the late 90's and now if they wanted to sell it it should bring 600-800K. Talk about ROI. There are poeple who now can't afford the property taxes year after year.

TurboTnZ06 said:
That's true. Water front is stupid expensive now. My parents bought the lot next door for 80K in the late 90's and now if they wanted to sell it it should bring 600-800K. Talk about ROI. There are poeple who now can't afford the property taxes year after year.
taxes are nuts,my friend in venice didnt do a homestead exempt when he bought last year and his taxes went up 1k in one year...ouch..i homesteaded 13 years ago,taxes on my house have not changed..mmm...10% maybe...anyway
florida is nice im from Port huron,MI and dont miss the snow at all..you will love the sunshine and hate the oldies doing the Florida shuffle..buy fast or build because i believe they are making it hard for anyone,middleclass,to live around here in Sarasota..you wont go back :biggrin:

tommynos said:
taxes are nuts,my friend in venice didnt do a homestead exempt when he bought last year and his taxes went up 1k in one year...ouch..i homesteaded 13 years ago,taxes on my house have not changed..mmm...10% maybe...anyway
florida is nice im from Port huron,MI and dont miss the snow at all..you will love the sunshine and hate the oldies doing the Florida shuffle..buy fast or build because i believe they are making it hard for anyone,middleclass,to live around here in Sarasota..you wont go back :biggrin:

If you claim Homestead exemption, you are exempt from tax on $25,000 of your assessed value. Also, your assessed value cannot increase by more than 3% each year. Just prepare to be hammered when you buy a home as the appraiser has the right to fully assess your home on change of ownership. Not so bad for those of us who have been here over 20 years. Our houses are assessed at 300k and we pay tax on like 90k.

I just moved to Kissimme/St. Cloud area last year from Virginia. Home prices have surely risen, but still not as high as where I came from. I love it here and can't imagine ever going back. Bought a jet Ski my first month, and have had a ball on teh lakes, inlets, and even down in the Keys with it. Boat is next. :D

Line up a job for yourself before you come if you can. It'll make the transition easier. I am in the construction market, sort of, Sherwin Williams/Duron paint. The construction market is strong, to say the least. And should stay that way for quite a while. Good luck!

Althought i love Palm Beach County is the highest for everything, you name it it cost more here :eek:

Bell south employees

Anybody here work for Bell South. I have a tast I will be taking soon fir them "outside technical" . Just curious how the Basic Electricity test is as far as in depth. Easy or not . Thanks Justin