How hard is it to install my own seat covers..

THE BLACK MAMBA

Just got my leather seat covers from Jax how hard is it to install myself? any tricks, tips or advice would be welcomed...

The hardest thing that I encountered was the headrests. I used a putty knife to remove the headrests from the seats. The seats are fairly simple once you remove them from the car. The most time consuming thing was removing the rings that attach the seat cover to the frame. You'll need to get a box of small hog rings and hog ring pliers to attach the new seatcovers.

The hardest thing that I encountered was the headrests. I used a putty knife to remove the headrests from the seats. The seats are fairly simple once you remove them from the car. The most time consuming thing was removing the rings that attach the seat cover to the frame. You'll need to get a box of small hog rings and hog ring pliers to attach the new seatcovers.

where do i get the hog rings and pliers?

thanks, i see you live in BG..my step daughter goes to WKU...might see you next year down there at the track after my rebuild...

I'm thinking about doing mine in leather soon...I was wondering how difficult the job will be. Please post pics when your done. I need motivation!

Not hard at all fellas!

HEADRESTS:
On the headrests simply take a used Hacksaw blade and insert it IN FRONT of the headrest flat against the headrest post, Then push the whole thing down (including the hacksaw blade) at the same time, Not all the way but maybe 5-6" then try and push JUST the HS blade down a bit then pull up on the headrest and it should just come right out!

SEATS:

On the seats it's pretty easy to do, You will need (as listed above) Hog rings, Hog ring pliers, Side cutters (dykes to remove old hog rings).
To remove the old hog rings I find it easyier to grab ahold of them with the side cutters and TWIST & PULL and it will come off fairly easy.

INSTALLATION: The out come of your seat covers is all in the installation!!! So with that in mind, The overall look of your new covers is up to you!! If you see wrinkles - PULL EM OUT add a hog ring! or use a upholstery steamer!! I have seen people use the EXACT same seat covers installed by one upholstery shop and they look like crap and then they were brought to me and it Tweeked them and steamed them and they were PERFECT! So it's all in the installation.. Take your time and if you have wrinkles, rent or borrow a steamer, It will take them all out and look great!

SW.

I've never done seats on a GN, but have done British cars and a couple old Impalas. If you want really good results, you need to replace the seat foams too. They may look OK but they have usually been compressed and have dried out. The covers wont' fit tight like they should, and you'll do so much pulling to get them smooth that you lose some of the original shape. As a general rule, if the covers need to be replaced, so do the foams.

If you want really good results, you need to replace the seat foams too. They may look OK but they have usually been compressed and have dried out. The covers wont' fit tight like they should, and you'll do so much pulling to get them smooth that you lose some of the original shape. As a general rule, if the covers need to be replaced, so do the foams.
NOT necessarily True!!

Being in my family's Auto Upholstery business for 29 years (since I was 13) we very seldom had to replace the seat foam from it being compressed! Yeah new seat foam would be nice in the "Perfect world" but it's not in normal cases!

1st trying to find "New" seat foam for a 22 yr old car won't be fun!

2nd spending the extra cost for all new foam from a dealer?, you might as well buy new racing seats!

3rd A old trick I've used for 29 years is "Steam out the foam"!!! A compressed foam insert, side section or whatever will expand back to it's normal state when steam is applied with an upholstery steamer!!! ;) You can literally watch the crease in the foam expand and disappear! PRETTY MUCH JUST LIKE A SPONGE, IT WILL RETURN TO IT'S NATURAL STATE WHEN MOISTURE IS APPLIED.

Steam is your Friend!!!

SW.

Good advice from a pro. being a do it yourselfer, I didn't have access to a steamer. In any case I wouldn't just put the new covers old old foam as is. I will tell you that the foam on the old British cars I restored was falling apart. Maybe the Brits used crappy foam. I guess I have to remind myself these are the same guys that made transmission tunnels out of formed masonite board!

Good advice from a pro. being a do it yourselfer, I didn't have access to a steamer. In any case I wouldn't just put the new covers old old foam as is. I will tell you that the foam on the old British cars I restored was falling apart. Maybe the Brits used crappy foam. I guess I have to remind myself these are the same guys that made transmission tunnels out of formed masonite board!
:biggrin: Thanks!

On a lot of the german, Italian, British cars, They used the perforated leather (with the holes) on a lot of there cars which dried out the foam most of the time and it would just crumble to dust. I this case we would build up that area with newer, better 1/2" foam and sometimes use 1" and Then re-install the covers. Then if the covers didn't fit perfect yet, we would stuff wool like cotton and fill in the ruined area's.

For cutting the old hog rings, side cutters work but a cable cutter is faster.
Although the factory seldom had the pleats on the seat and seat back line up, it is difficult to do, but looks much better if you can.