how fast should my car go?

badbuford

street racer
I'm new to the buick thing, i ran out of time to get my car to the track. I had to spend a couple of weeks working the bugs out of it after i bought it here's how it sits:

stock turbo,stock injectors and intercooler, only work done is k&n filter,3" maf pipe and up pipe,dynotech 93 octane chip,billet fp reg,f-bod radiator,msd wires,hochkis springs,air bag,skinnies up front, 26x10 et drags

just figured i'd look for a ball park figure so i could know if the car is doing alright this spring

mid to high 13's. The exhaust is killing you and dont expect to go faster than 13.0 with stock injectors. My injectors maxed at 13.5.

Jason

forgot to say that it got a 2.5" flowmaster i'll probably step it all up to 3" during the winter

Stock injectors will go high 11's. On pump gas and a good tune with a good 60', I would expect high 12's @102 or 103mph. With racing fuel and 22lbs of boost, low to md 12's @107.

I could see high 12s with those mods. Unhook the exhaust and it'll help you out but I think like a 12.8 is possible. Don't get disappointed after your first run, everyone goes slow they're first run. Sit at the line and build boost, use the parking brake and hold the brake pedal to the floor on the launch. You should be able to launch off a couple pounds of boost and get like atleast 1.7 60'. Again don't get your hopes up the first time out it takes a little while to get used to and to figure out what you're doing.

I don't know how you could possibly get high 11s with the stock injectors without alcohol injection, and lots of it with race gas. Even then I wouldn't want to risk it. You'd be at or above 100% duty cycle on the injectors. You might be able to take a lot of weight out of the car and do a lot of suspension work and get there.

i want to get it into the high 11's with the stock turbo,injector set up before i move on to bigger and better things, just enough to beat up on some local cars by the end of next year:D

i was reading alot about it in another thread and some of the guys have done it. I went 10.70's with my mustang with a completely stock bottom end but the block only lasted about 28 full passes between the street and track then it looked like some one stuck c4 in the oil pan

Stock injectors technically should be swapped out once the car is getting lean, my white car was running out of injectors at 110mph.

Ive had my silver car to 112mph on the stock injectors with 104 octane fuel, and 112mph in my white car on 110 octane fuel.

Once i added a small shot of methanol, the car picked up to almost 115 with the stock turbo and injectors links are in my signature.

The stock turbo LOVES timing, so your either gonna have to run racegas, or run methanol. I would suggest getting a meth kit and tweak chip for methanol.
Do all the small things like cool air intake,rear suspension,good tune and the stock setup is pretty darned fast.
Ed Brewer went 11.37 at 116 on 92 octane and Eric Marshalls chip, and Julio Dons methanol kit.

I just purchased a ATR front mount intercooler for my silver limited, its a tad larger than the kenne bell one in my white limited.
If you click the link in my signature, you will see a dyno slip at 360?/556
That was 22psi 25° of timing, 91 octane and a small amount of meth.
Thats also with a 100% stock intercooler, and a cleanup job of the inlet bell of the compressor housing of the stock turbo.

The ATR intercooler should improve the cars performance by getting rid of that restrictive neck on the stock intercooler, im hoping for about 400RWHP... I was hoping for that with the stock IC, but never happened.

Here is a list of everything done to my white car in my signature.

Details of the run:
60' 1.624
330' 4.799
1/8 7.483
MPH 91.27
1000' 9.80
1/4 11.767
MPH 114.62

RACE WEIGHT: 3595 WITH ME
BLOCK: Stock 109 Motor never been out of car
HEADS: Stock 8445 never been off
CAM: Stock
TRANSMISSION: Stock 2004R
TORQUE CONVERTER: Stock D5
DIFFERENTIAL: Stock 8.5 3:42 gears and stock axles
INTERCOOLER: Kenne bell http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/100_0874.jpg
THROTTLE BODY: Stock, not even semi ported
RJC POWER PLATE: YYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!
INJECTORS: Stock 90,000 originals
THERMOSTAT: ATR 160°
TURBOCHARGER: Stock 87 turbo regal, portmatched compressor housing to inlet bell
VALVE SPRINGS: Stock 90K originals
MAF: LS1 3.5 with Mark Hueffman cold air kit
DOWN PIPE: MPE Keith Mease 3" S.S. downpipe
EXHAUST: Nonexistant, just downpipe
FUEL PUMP: 340m with Kenne Bell hotwire relay
FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR: Stock TTA 237, non adjustable
FUEL PRESSURE: 47psi
ALCHOHOL INJECTION: Yes, writeup about it here DIY- Junk drawer DIY kit, SMC controller, Sureflow pump,m-10, 1/8th ss line...
PROPAIN INJECTION: NO
NITROUS: NO
AIR FILTER AND AIR INTAKE: Mark Hueffman 4" to 3.5 at MAF
TIRE DESIGN, SIZE & AIR PRESSURE: M/T 28x9.0 ET drags at 12.0 psi cold
AIR BAG(s): 1 on pass side rear, 20psi
SUSPENSION: Missing front swaybar and endlinks, boxed rear uppers and lowers, air bag 20psi and ATR rear 1 3/8 sway bar
SCAN TOOL: Scanmaster 2.1
FUEL: Either 110 Turbo blue OR some type of Blue 112???
CHIP: TT Eric Marshall TT chip made at the nats for my grey car in 03?
CHIP TIMING: 27° in first and second 25° in third
KNOCK RETARD: .5 or 1.0 MAX entire run
OXYGEN SENSOR VOLTAGE: With SMC controller at 4, its 760's at 22-23psi
EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE: NO EGT
TRACK ELEVATION: LESS THAN 800 feet
TEMPERATURE: 55°
PEAK BOOST: 23
BOOST AT LAUNCH: 10psi foot brake
MILES ON THE CAR/ENGINE: 90,150 ish

Stock injectors technically should be swapped out once the car is getting lean

I don't agree at all with that statement. Injectors should be changed whenever you're running over an 80% duty cycle. You can run 98% duty cycle and be running proper A/F but you're overrunning your injectors and they don't have the chance to cool down.

You took my injector comment the wrong way... Maybe i worded it wrong :confused:

I did not say that running them at 100% was the way to go, what i said was for him to replace the injectors once the car started running lean.

The car could be at 80% duty cycle and if the injectors are dirty, then it just wont make decent power.

Depending on mileage, the injector can build up with dirt from years of service, either the pintle or the basket inside the injector.

A dirty set of injectors should be replaced, and the car would be running leaner on lower horsepower output.

So, in my opinion, if the car starts running lean, put in some upgraded injectors.... It could be running lean at 16psi of boost:eek:

BW

I don't know how you could possibly get high 11s with the stock injectors without alcohol injection, and lots of it with race gas. Even then I wouldn't want to risk it. You'd be at or above 100% duty cycle on the injectors. You might be able to take a lot of weight out of the car and do a lot of suspension work and get there.

I do agree with the injector statement, but throw everything else out the window.... :)

I thought i was being helpful and posted all the stuff that was done to my car, nothing too major done to it....

If you haven't had this done, change out the valve springs asap. The stockers are weak and will cause a car this old to just lay down on the big end.

I'll be stunned if you get mid-13's with the car the first time out. The key is getting a good launch and having traction. I wouldn't be as afraid of the stock injectors hurting performance (if you have the adjustable F/P regulator AND a good fuel pressure gauge) as I would be of the stock valve springs.

Also, I don't recall if you said you have a scan tool, such as the Scan Master. If not, buy one BEFORE you go the track and learn how to use the information it will give you.

Good luck!

Stock injectors have been in the 10's, but with alot of fuel pressure. Fuel pressure isn't bad, but alot of people take the 43.5psi rating on their injector as the most it can push. You can run high psi, but have to trim out fuel down low in the chip. Injectors actually atomize the fuel better at higher psi.
What kinda car do I have? One that went 12.15 @110 with stock injectors, with more left. 13.5 and out of injector? What injectors are in the GNX? It went faster than 13.5. You had other problems. I have had an 86 GN go in the 12's with stockers, and 2 87 GNs go 12's with stockers, and even an 85 go 12.58 with stockers. I know I am not alone. 12's are easy with sticky tires.

i'm deffinitely buying a scantool before i got to the track.I ve noticed that you really can't tune this car without one. has any one used the msd interface module with the dis-4 ignition yet ?? I see it in jegs and it looks quite tempting:smile: