How do I lower minimum TV pressure?

rastaz

aka 80's Rob
I have a transmission that occaisionally will start off in second gear. I believe the problem is my minimum TV pressure is too high at 140 psi. I do not like the soft shift feel from backing off the TV cable so I am wondering if there is anything else I can do?

I am running a Transgo shift kit and the purple pressure regulator spring in the pump along with the .500 boost valve and reverse valve that comes with the kit.

Would changing the PR spring back to the stock PR spring help or would it introduce a new problem with the bigger boost valves?

A couple of other thoughts I had were to put the stock TV spring back in and/or remove that small spring transgo has you put in the 1-2 shift valve (never seen this in any other kit and not even sure what it is supposed to do).

I'd look at a sticky valve for the 2nd gear start. That pressure isn't that crazy high

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your idle base pressure is 140psi? I would think that's a bit high. 90 psi is about as high as I see the ones I've done.

I'd look at a sticky valve for the 2nd gear start. That pressure isn't that crazy high

X2 on the sticky tv valve. Did you install the spring(s) on the tv valve in the valve body when the kit was installed. This pushes the valve back to its seat and the lowest pressure.

I removed the little 1-2 shift valve spring from the valve body that Transgo has you add and returned to the stock TV spring... the pressure dropped down to 95 psi minimum in park and the second gear start problem is now gone... I think the problem was with that 1-2 spring... I'm going to put the longer Transgo TV spring back in and see what happens as my psi readings across the board in each gear have dropped about 30 psi now.

I removed the little 1-2 shift valve spring from the valve body that Transgo has you add and returned to the stock TV spring... the pressure dropped down to 95 psi minimum in park and the second gear start problem is now gone... I think the problem was with that 1-2 spring... I'm going to put the longer Transgo TV spring back in and see what happens as my psi readings across the board in each gear have dropped about 30 psi now.
How long is the tv spring?
How does I'd compare in tension to the stock spring?

My PTS tranny did the same thing when cold. I had to lower the idle screw as low as possible and reset my tps. I just couldnt get the tranny psi low enough at idle without lowering my wot shift points.