How can methanol work THIS well?

AnArKey

Well guys, I can't simply believe what I have done with methanol. 100%, with 1/2oz Klotz Uplon per gallon.

I have a 94 Supra, BTW. Some of you remember me from my Buick owning days.

So anyway, I accidentally was doing WOT freeway pulls with no wastegate control. Long story, I had the option turned off on my AEM EMS (like a FAST), and it was allowed to boost as much as it wanted.

I hit 32psi, on 92 octane. Boom right? Nope, didn't even knock. I did SEVERAL pulls, and didn't stop because my friend holding the laptop didn't even see a blip of knock. He was real impressed, my car pulls harder at 100mph than his does at 20mph.

Can you believe this? BTW, I have a injection system of my own design, that flows a LOT of methanol. If I had to guess it would be 1gal/min or more. I use the EMS to control the pump speed, ramping up delivery with boost (on at 3psi, maxed at 29psi).

i've been meaning to e-mail you and ask how it's been going.sounds like it's running pretty well:D.

have you put any more thought into how to adapt your controller to a buick computer?i'll be the guinea pig:D.

later,sean

Does your ECU have a wideband band option, if it does what afr are you running with the methanol?

Yeah I got a wideband. It was really rich. .65-.7 lambda. I'm not planning on running 32psi all the time, I'd like to take that down to 26-28psi, and lean it out to .75-.8.

AnArKey: Is your AEM the plug-n-play one (don't know if they have a supra one, prolly so) or the universal one that has to be hard-wired? I'd like to see some info on the universal one, and pricing. Although, I haven't tried to search the net lately for anything, just when it first came out. Later.

met

I would like to know what amount of methanol your are using.
I use 6 oz. per 1/4 mile run( high 10 sec. ) Was wondering if I could use more percentage.
BTW, According to some printed stuff I have seen, methanol---140--150 octane. I am still trying to verify this.

Lee, I'm no expert but a guy in my area runs it on a car with a stock turbo and stock injectors. He made his own kit, and has been kicked out of many tracks for running 124 mph. He runs so much that it's a fuel now and the gasoline is the additive. He's run 32 psi of boost also. He's building a twin turbo small block chevy now and just drives the buick ever now and then. He said it was fun while it lasted. He put a 5 gallons fuel cell in the trunk, some ford fuel pump, some type of fuel pressure regulator, and a return line the the tank. I may be leaving some stuff out but that's pretty much it. I was thinking of building one for myself. We had a track rental last Thursday and he drove the car to watch. He purged the system while holding the rpms up a little and I think he was running like 80 psi of pressure at the regulator. He has a small gauge there. Very, very neat setup. He wants to start playing with propane now.

I'm not sure, but I'm using ALOT. I have a Shurflo going 100% (no pressure switch) through two 15gph nozzles. This is at 100% duty obviously, flow starts low when I first turn it on. I'm guessing over 50% of my HP is coming from the methanol.

Tell your friend not to bother with propane. After methanol he will be disappointed. Especially on a hot-air car. Methanol cools so well it's so wonder he didn't need a intercooler. With propane, it will be hot again.

Originally posted by peterkin
Lee, I'm no expert but a guy in my area runs it on a car with a stock turbo and stock injectors. He made his own kit, and has been kicked out of many tracks for running 124 mph. He runs so much that it's a fuel now and the gasoline is the additive. He's run 32 psi of boost also. He's building a twin turbo small block chevy now and just drives the buick ever now and then. He said it was fun while it lasted. He put a 5 gallons fuel cell in the trunk, some ford fuel pump, some type of fuel pressure regulator, and a return line the the tank. I may be leaving some stuff out but that's pretty much it. I was thinking of building one for myself. We had a track rental last Thursday and he drove the car to watch. He purged the system while holding the rpms up a little and I think he was running like 80 psi of pressure at the regulator. He has a small gauge there. Very, very neat setup. He wants to start playing with propane now.

32 psi on the stock turbo and injectors? Can you imagine what would happen if his alky pump failed at WOT? :eek: :eek:

nozzles???

Shurflo going 100% (no pressure switch) through two 15gph nozzles.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of nozzles are you using?
Where are they mounted?
How can I buy some?

I am going crazy trying to get my shurflo to work well with various nozzles:mad: I am very interested in running methanol through my system, but I am still in the design stages of putting this system together.

Thanks for any info:D

McMaster-Carr fine misting nozzles. Same ones used in the SMC kits. I have tested them off the car and they put out a very fine CLOUD.

I believe on the first single nozzle kits, they were M15 and now on the duals 2 M10's??? I am using dual M15's now and no problems....yet :D