How can I tell if my knock sensor is working?

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
My Scanmaster has never shown me getting any knock, not even at WOT. So I'm wondering if my sensor is even working at all. Info on the car is in my sig.

First, check and see if the sensor is hooked up. The sensor is located on the back of the motor directly under the coilpack/ign. module. It should have a one wire lead attached to it. Try turning the Scanmaster around so you can see it through the windshield and tap on the block near the sensor with the engine running. That should work...in theory. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Take A 3 Foot 3/8 Drive Extension ,,and Gently Tap The Knock Sensor ,looking Under The Coil Pack ....hold Rpm At About 12oo ...scanmaster Will Show Slight Knock..1 To 5 Degrees Depending On Sensor And On How Hard You Tap It ...this Is A John Spina Test Methood....forget Hitting On Block

Sensor is on the top of the engine near the firewall, offset a couple inches to the driver's side from the centerline of the block. I say this because the first time I was looking for the sensor I was looking at the back of the block: Never did find it there ;)

One of the things to check is the torque of the sensor. Should be 14 ft pounds. Too tight, and it causes too much knock retard, and too loose, doesn't properly sense knock when it happens. Not the first thing to check, but at some point you want to be sure of the proper torque. It takes a very small torque wrench.

Don't fix it if it is not broken....Could be that everything is just fine. :)

Good advice.

Other easy ways are :
Drive in third gear and doing 50 mph, steady throttle. Puch the pedal and make the trans downshift. You "should" see KR. (Don't think there is "Downshift KR ignore" in the chips :confused: )

You can always crank the boost another 5 psi :eek: and "ease" into the throttle. You should see KR as well with this "method". ;)

Take A 3 Foot 3/8 Drive Extension ,,and Gently Tap The Knock Sensor ,looking Under The Coil Pack ....hold Rpm At About 12oo ...scanmaster Will Show Slight Knock..1 To 5 Degrees Depending On Sensor And On How Hard You Tap It ...this Is A John Spina Test Methood....forget Hitting On Block

+1