How can I tell if it's a bad tranny?

Hot Air 85

turning parts into TR
I purchased an 85 TR with the motor and tranny out of the car and motor all stripped to a short block....I've got the car all back together and running with some $$$ and alot of time but now the car won't move. I have installed an aftermarket (summit) tranny cooler replaced tranny filter and reinstalled everything in the car with 8qts so far of fluid. I have no fluid at the cooler lines yet and have run the car three times for about 15 min each, and tried shifting through the gears. The car will almost try to go with alot of throttle but wont really move.

What can I trouble shoot to help determine the problem. I dont want to just keep dumping fluid in and overfill. Any suggestions / help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

So there's no fluid in the cooler or lines yet? Pump moves fluid, no fluid moving, I would suspect the pump.

You need to call Brian Hofer and ask him some questions and tell him your symptoms. If anyone can straighten this issue out it would be him.

hipsibri@cs.com - he will get back to you pretty quick.

Dan

guess I need a new tranny

Verifyed gap between convertor and flexplate about 1/8" convertor is fully seated. Guess if the fluid aint moving i've got a bad pump.

What is involved in replacing a tranny pump?
Can I do this myself?

This really sucks as I bought this car on the cheap...put it together...got it running, and now i'm left with a very smooth running no leaking totaly solid T that cant move out of it's parking spot

There go's the budget:frown:

The pump is pretty easy to change with the proper tools. You pull the pan, pull the filter and TCC solenoid, remove all the bolts around the pump. Using a puller, pull the pump. Install in the reverse order.

In the car?

Is this something that can be done in the car??? I'm generally handy and a quick study but have never been inside a transmission other than a fluid and filter change

No. The trans will have to be pulled. The pump comes out from the front of the trans. You will need a puller that clamps to the stator support and pushes on the input shaft to remove the pump.

maybe install a pressure gauge to the port on the drivers side of the trans, just to verify lack of pump pressure. I had one fabbed up at a hydraulics supply house. You just need a 0-300 psi liquid filled gauge, some push-lok hose and some 1/8" npt barb fittings. Then you could attach it to the trans, start 'er up and see what's what.
steve

cooler lines off

I have the trans cooler lines off with no fluid coming out....Overfull on the dipstick with 8 qts from dry, and no action in any gear...I would love to fix this without puling the tranny but I don't think i'm going to be so lucky.