How can i adjust boost with this

djj624

Not to familiar with this, sends like no matter which way I turn the knob ( near the front of the battery) boost never changes always at 11psi. How can I adjust boost with this unit.

Attachments

• 1421427856887.jpg
    1421427856887.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 315
Its hard to say whats best when you don't know what you have. I have a wastegate just like that and it only ever made 14 psi and wan't very adjustable, if you have the same spring I had in mine then I would eliminate the brass fitting with the knob (which in guessing is a bleed type boost manual boost controller) and just run a line from the compressor to the wastegate. Also before I do any of that I would release the pressure on the wastegate spring with the stud and nut in the middle. Crack loose the nut in the middle of the wastgate and back off stud with an allen wrench, when you have it backed off I would screw it back in until you fell some ristance and run the car like that (tighten the nut again of course), but always be careful when your testing stuff like that.

It might be better to take the cap off the wastegate and see that color spring you have and what will tell you the amount of boost you have to make before it overcomes the spring. Also keep in mind that these wastegates are antiquated technology for sure and don't really work very well. I always thought it was funny how slowly the car built boost until I realized the wastgate would never fully seal and I my turbo was fighting an uphill battle. A good quality wastegate made a would of difference for my car and I would recommend you get one as well

I will try eliminating the bleeder knob, and see what happens. Is there any place to get springs for these wastegates if I find that the one I have won't build any more boost than what it's making now? If not can you recommend a good replacement.

N6 running Nexus Project X

Doing some searching around I found this
01fc24a9c51edda4e9dc0d44bebd9196.jpg
I think it may be hooked up wrong?

Doing some searching around I found this
01fc24a9c51edda4e9dc0d44bebd9196.jpg
I think it may be hooked up wrong?

That looks like the kind that bleeds off to the atmosphere and it looks like its hooked up correctly for that application. it's not a good system because you're bleeding off metered air, although not very much.

I would suggest you do like I did and buy a turbo smart brand wastegate, and a good ball valve boost controller like a grimm speed mbc. Also the Turbonetics race gate and the tial are also good Watergate options from what I understand

and here is some info on the atr Watergate springs
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...dy6PsA&usg=AFQjCNGG_ddKsqtElQo22TGFJ5xisrWaWw

Last edited: